Back after 11 years away

Razer_MTB
Razer_MTB Posts: 361
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi folks,

Just getting back into MTBing after an 11 year break, been trying out some of the trails near glasgow and loving it. Cant think why i ever stopped riding (apart from learning to drive and booze lol).

Dont have a great bike but find it does the job so far, although I'm going to need to replace the fork for something better than a RS Dart 1.

Anyway, just thought i would say hello as i'm sure i'll be asking for advice soon when something goes horribly wrong lol

sam
whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Welcome back to mud sweat & gears!

as for forks, what bike, tyre of riding & what budget do you have in mind?
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Razer_MTB
    Cheers Andy,

the bike is a CBR assault (dont laugh), only paid £300 quid for it and the gear on it is fairly decent for a noob, (deore shifters and derailleurs, quad qhd1 hydraulic brakes, and although it is no lightweight at 30lbs, its not the heaviest bike i've seen)

Regarding the forks, can spend anywhere up to about £200.00 on one. When going out myself, will be doing bit of a mix of cycling, fire roads, cycle paths, some off road excursions to glentress (nothing too mental though). But having a fork that doesnt have a lockout i find myself bouncing about a bit when climbing (although this is probably more to do with my technique).

Hoping to do the west highland way with some friends in July and really want something decent on the front as i've a feeling i'll need all the help i can get lol.

On a side note, just bought the wife a raleigh AT30 as she has finally agreed to come out with me (will need to stick to the cycle paths until she gets used to being on a bike again). Looked alright for £250 quid until they delivered it, and i found that they had included the wrong front wheel for it (no rotor and no mounts on the hub for a rotor), turns out someone in the factory had put a wheel designed for v-brakes in the box. Need to wait till they deliver the correct wheel before i can drag her out :(
    whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    I would look at the RS tora big upgrade over the dart in performance and you should be able to save some of the 200.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Andy B
    Deore, Quad, 30lbs pretty good for a £300 bike.

a general xc type fork with a lockout for under £200...Rockshox are probably the best in the sub £200 bracket, a Tora or Recon would fit the bill nicely.

I guess the old fork is either 80mm or 100mm travel?

a couple of forks worth checking out:

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=18

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/?fn=produ ... egoryId=18
  • Razer_MTB
    Thanks for the advice guys,

Andy, as far as i recall, i'm sure the dart 1 has 80mm travel.

Having had a quick look at the tora's and the ever trusty google, i'm sorely tempted by this, although i think the 130mm travel might be a tad overkill.

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/rockshox ... 97111.html

In saying that, the recon looks rather tasty.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    the tora can be found from 100 to 130mm depending on which.

and andys links are for the 100mm versions.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Razer_MTB
    Sorry Nick, i meant that the 130 being overkill on the link i found. I noticed the tora sl is a little cheaper too which makes it more appealing to the other half.

Is the recon worth the extra £45 or would it be wasted on what i would be using it for?
  • Andy B
    The main difference between the two forks I linked to is the weight, the Recon is 300g lighter.

both are good forks for the money, either would be a good choice & it just depends on how much you want to spend.
  • Razer_MTB
    thanks again Andy

think i'm gonna go for the recon's :)