Female road racers - gearing?

proto
proto Posts: 1,483
edited May 2009 in Amateur race
My daughter is currently away travelling in SE Asia, but I'm building up a bike for her return so she can have a dabble at road racing (and the occasional time trial for training).

But I'm unsure about gearing. She's been using a bike with 50/34 an 13/26, but not sure that's tall enough and she's such a novice she wouldn't know what to ask for. She's tallish at 5'7", and very strong, weighs about 55kg.

Any females (or anyone) out there care to make a recommendation. I've got 53/39 and 50/34 chainsets available. and 12/25 and 13/26 cassettes. And crank length?

Ta.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The compact with 12/25 would be fine I would have thought... Tall gear at the top end and versatile for some steep hills when not racing.

Crank Length 170mm
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    I'd beg to differ and suggest the 39/53 would be a lot better for road racing, along with the 12-25. I would expect her to be spending the vast majority of any road race on the 53 with perhaps the occasional use of the 39 on steep hills. I'd suggest it's unlikely any women's road races in the UK will go up anything calling for compact gears.

Ruth
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If it's purely for racing then the 53/39, I was just thinking compact if it was going to be used for everything...