Mountain Bothying?

tardington
tardington Posts: 1,379
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
I just joined the Mountain Bothy Association - fear my beard!

Looks pretty good, except, I was hoping for a map showing where they all are! Oh well. If I can find one, I can feel good about staying in it!

I know there is one at Kervaig, so I may go there on a Cape Wrath expedition...

I don't suppose anyone knows where any of the other ones are? :oops:

Comments

• GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    I thought that info was given to you once you joined?
  • tardington
    So did I totally! My main reason for joining, I must admit. I did donate ten quid as well, as I've always thought they were a good idea. I have a list of bothys - but not where they are!

ADDS had another look - the closest I can get is 'north highlands' etc.

Also they have £100,000 in reserve. I hope they enjoy my ten pounds.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Bothy locations tend to be spread by word of mouth, there are some climbers' maps that show them e.g. Munro baggers' wall chart.
    There aren't many you can get to on a road/touring bike without a bit of a struggle - the clue is in the M bit of MBA...
  • Bodhbh
    Bodhbh Posts: 117
    Well it has the OS co-ordinates listed does it not, so just needs a bit of time out with the OS maps?

But I know what you mean, as I just joined for similar reasons. It lists them, but it could be a little more explict - you can more or less guess where they are anyhow if you rummage around their website photo section.
  • ralex
    ralex Posts: 85
    If you have mapping software with a search facility you can usually find them by typing in the bothy name. I have a list somwhere which I found someone had posted on the web a few years ago, try having a google.
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    You should be able to get to the one at the base of the Correyairack pass (bottom of Wade's military road) on the Tomintoul side. It's fairly good surface up to there, but don't plan on going over the pass unless you're up for some fairly challenging mountain biking.
  • cee
    cee Posts: 4,553
    I stayed in the one at the Glas-Alt-Shiel (Banks of loch muick) on saturday night, followed by riding 3 munros and 2 further munro tops..yesterday....very very challenging Mountain biking...

THe GAS bothy is accessable for tourers (just go carefully on the very well kept estate roads....) from the Spittal Of Glen Muick mountain rescue car park.....

be some nice touring through the Balmoral Estate??

we only saw it from the highside...but its a stunning part of the country.
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I believe in the future of the human race.

H.G. Wells.
  • tardington
    Cheers you guys!

I think you can do the codes through the OS website... Hmm!

I like the one above Loch Lomond (on the WHW). Bit grafitti'd though.
  • KeithG
    KeithG Posts: 1,010
    Once a year the MBA send out a list of bothies to members which gives grid ref. and the size and presence of a fireplace or not and whether there are any restrictions during stalking.
    Try and go on a maintenance w/e sometime.Its a great way to pay something back and get the low down on Bothies.
  • tardington
    Sorry to bump this up, but the bothy people have their new website up and running; and it has a wee clicky-on map of scotland (and the borders) showing where the bothies actually are. Ace!

Keith G - I will definately sugn up for one of those weekends if at all possible. Sorry for late reply. :)