new biker

j m drift
j m drift Posts: 3
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hello all, I have been biking for a while now but never realy stuck to it, ive always went back to the rollerblading or the snowboarding, but now that i dislocated my knee 2 times and its officialy ruined untill i get an op, i will be riding my bike.
I bot a mongoose fireball its a good bike for me because i like doing jumps and going downhills fast. BUT i bought new pedals and when i went to take the old ones off they snapped the spanner. So i took it to the local garage and used there heat thingy and then i came off but the problem is that all the threads and metal on the crank came with it.
Is this repairable or do i need a new crank? its a triviam hussefelt.

any help would be greatly appraciated

Comments

• chorscroft
    chorscroft Posts: 254
    If the threads have been completely stripped you'll probably need a new one.
    You should be able to reuse your chainrings however it's sometimes cheaper to buy a whole new chainset.
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    Yup it's screwed by the sounds of it. The arm will be a softer alloy.
    Garage ya say? Does that mean you left your bike with some hairy arsed car technicians? :shock:
  • gaanrowl
    gaanrowl Posts: 326
    you could try tapping it out. might work depends how much they have stripped. worth a try befor you spend your pennies.
  • Dave Loasby
    Dave Loasby Posts: 32
    Helicoil is a posibility, but tbh i wouldn't consider it if you already have a bad knee. it will need to be spot on straight or the pedal will oscillate (spelling) and cause even more knee damage.
    Former employee of Ray Inkley cycles 1989-1991

ex Lincoln Wheelers 1981-1990 iirc. TT + U12 CX
  • j m drift
    j m drift Posts: 3
    nfrang wrote:
    Garage ya say? Does that mean you left your bike with some hairy arsed car technicians? :shock:

I would be one of those hairy arsed car technicians you talk about.
    and ive ordered a new one
    thanks for the help.