Route 60 miles around Snowdonia or Brecon

Ratan
Ratan Posts: 55
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
Can anyone advise me on a picturesque road route that is about 60-70 miles and relatively car free through Snowdonia or the Brecons. I am taking my 14 year son who is fit and can definitely keep up with me. We are camping so a route starting from one would be extra useful. This is our first trip to Wales so any tips to max the weekend such a recommended lunch/tea cake stop would be great.
Thanks in advance
Ratan

Comments

• trickeyja
    trickeyja Posts: 202
    I haven't much experience of cycling in Snowdonia, but in the Brecon Beacons National Park there are several scenic roads you could include.

The first road that comes to mind is the Gospel Pass, between Hay on Wye and Abergavenny. This is the second highest mountain pass in Wales (about 570m), and coming from Hay, there is a gentle descent through the picturesque Vale of Ewyas (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3393/3501736841_5c536b7610_b.jpg). The only problem is that it can get busy with tourists (justifiably) especially on weekends, despite being a minor road. There are several attractions - Llanthony Abbey, Cwmyoy church, Capel-y-ffin church and you can eat at the Half Moon Inn at Llanthony.

Secondly, the road from Ystradfellte to Heol Senni is supposed to be stunning - I haven't cycled it myself but some years ago I walked up Fan Nedd which is just off the minor road. This is less of a tourist hotspot than the Gospel Pass. http://www.flickr.com/photos/wentloog/2407788082/

Even more remote, you could take a route through the Cambrian Mountains, the "Desert of Wales". This is a very hilly and isolated option but should be worth it. The Elenith hills have been regarded as the "last remaining really wild area south of the Scottish border". I will be cycling through here en-route to Pembrokeshire later this month and am definitely looking forward to it. A 70 mile loop could start at Llanwrtyd Wells and take you through Abergwesyn on the mountain road (http://www.flickr.com/photos/ftvisions/2048027365/) over the legendary Devil's Staircase (25% climb!) and down to Tregaron. From there take the B road north to Cwmystwyth then head east over the Rhayader mountain road (http://www.flickr.com/photos/davejglaves/2662868037/). Loop round Abbey-Cwm-Hir, head for Newbridge-on-Wye then down to Beulah and back where you started. For refreshments, I'd recommend taking some food with you (there are no shops/pubs on the mountain roads) but there would be places to eat at Tregaron and Rhayader.

I have cycled to North Wales once, and when I was there, I went round Lake Vyrnwy and Pistyll Rhaeadr. I would definitely include Vyrnwy in a N. Wales loop, and if you are really looking for a challenge try the Bwlch y Groes pass (http://www.flickr.com/photos/covltwt/2334771269/) from Dinas Mawddwy (highest mountain road in Wales). This southern Snowdonia area is less busy than the main roads of Snowdonia - a problem with the immediate area around Snowdon is that the A roads can become congested with tourists, especially in the summer.

I hope this has been of some help and given you a few ideas,
    James.
  • Ratan
    Many thanks trickeyja. You've certainly given me something for the Brecons. Can anyone help with Snowdonia?

Ratan
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    Porthmadog, llanfrothen, nantmor, bedgelert, nant- gwynant, pen y pass , llanberis ,llanrug, betws garmon , beddgelert and back 50miles,
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    Had a week in the Beacons in April, have to agree with Gospell Pass, Devils Elbow is also worth building into a route.
    exercise.png
  • Ratan
    Thanks everyone, the list is groing. Does anyone know of a good book of the area with tea shops pubs etc?

Ratan
  • Ratan
    Just got back from Wales and did two suggested routes.

A) Starting from Hay on Wye we took Forest Road south and climbed a manageable ascent to the summit of Gospel Pass where the road flattened out with breathtaking views before a gentle descent to Capel Y Ffin. Carried on south through Llanthony to Stanton (make sure your breaks are in good nick) where we turned right following the sign for Forest Coal Pit and then Crickhowell. Turned right in Crickehowell and headed north on the A40 till the junction of the A479. There is a pub on the corner with a popular restaurant. Then there is a long and easy climb upto Pengenffordd and despite being an A road, was a pleasure. Easy overtaking for cars and great scenery and a well tarmaced road. At the summit its a fast ride downhill for about three miles. Then back to Hay. 51 miles. Pubs on the decent from the pass

B) Again started at Hay and rode to Brecon to warm up. Instead of using the A470 we decided to run up to the A4215 up through Ffrwdgrech from Newgate Street in Brecon. At the fork take the middle of the three roads. Keep riding until you reach a staggered croosroad and turn right. Keep going until you come out at the A470 just before the turning for the A4215. Turn right into the A4215 and head up the hill. Turn right at the sign for Heol Senni and continue until the sign for Ystradfelte where you turn right again. If you arrive in Heol Senni you have gone to far. There is a really steep climb for about 800 meters with three switchbacks. When you get to the top not only are you presented with spectacular views but also elation for having done the climb. The road then carves through a valley with a gentle descent towards Ystradfelte. When you reach the town bear right at the pub You should not cross the bridge. You pass a shop on the way down that has an outside tap for refills and sells ice cream. On the map there is a trail that cuts out Pontneddfachen but this is hafl road and half trail through a forest. We descended into Pontneddfachen and turned right and climbed up A4109 and were rewarded with spectacular views again and a great road with easy overtaking. We turned right at the sign for Coelbren right at the T junction through town and then right at the next T junction towards the water falls and Penycae. After seeing the falls which requires some skill to walk down the path in SPD shoes and not falling, we carried on bearing a sharp right which you can easily miss and starting up what looked like a lane not a road. You know youve turned in the right direction because there is fresh tarmac after a mile down the middle of the road all the way to Penycae. Carried up the A4067 again with great views and road surface until we reach the turning for Heol Senni which is just after the car park for viewing reservoir. This cut the distance down and rewarded us with different scenery. On reaching Heol we retraced our steps to Hay using the Brecon Bypass which has a small shoulder lane. 79 miles. Very few food/cake stops until Pontneddfachen and then not much after so take your own.

We camped at the Hollybush Inn outside Hay which had great food and beer. The staff where very friendly so highly recommended. I hope someone can use these directions and enjoy these two rides as much as we did.

Many thanks for the recommendations James!!
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    The climb with 3 switchbacks on your second ride was The Devils Elbow.
    exercise.png
  • Ratan
    Certainly felt like we had been elbowed by the time we got to the top!!!
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    T.C. wrote:
    Porthmadog, llanfrothen, nantmor, bedgelert, nant- gwynant, pen y pass , llanberis ,llanrug, betws garmon , beddgelert and back 50miles,

Good call. There is a national cycle route for some of this (check the dotted green line). Do get a map which shows these routes as they are excellent. We had a go last year including the 8miles of cycling down the beach to Barmouth. Staying in a nice campsite near Dolgellau (sorry can't remember, do google).

not sure I would advise taking the Llanberis pass if you are worried about traffic as it was busy we we did it, but normal caution applies - it's not as if it is a dual carriageway or anything.
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • Ratan
    Made a mistake in directions when reaching Coelbren. Should read "We turned right at the sign for Coelbren, right again at the T junction and rode through town. We then turned LEFT at the next T junction towards the water falls and Penycae.