My first day out on the Kharma

DonDaddyD
DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
edited May 2009 in Commuting chat
Diary of an urban commuter

Sat. 16th May.

I set out from my house for the Kharma’s first maiden voyage around Richmond Park. I put on my best cycle clothing. I pack my saddle bag, innertube, levers, multi tool, lights, money, cash card and keys. I set off and immediately the Kharma feels special it is so much different to Donnovan my comuter. Its lively, responsive, the application of speed - its acceleration is unreal, savage, demented. The bike bucks, weaves, wiggles underneath me as though it has yet to be tamed but that hulking head tube is poised and reassuringly controlled. I haven’t even left the end of my road.

I ride around the back of Morrisons, the Odeon cinema and up the little bump by Next heading into Wimbledon Broadway towards Wimbledon Village. Pedestrian and mortorist are looking at me. I feel fast, light, special. They eye up my bike. We feel awesome.

At the lights I hear “pssssstsssstttssss” Yep puncture. I’ve forgot my pump!

I lift my bike and place it on shoulder get to the pavement and walk back home.

Maybe tomorrow....
Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game

Comments

• tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    At least the carbon makes it nice and light for carrying. :wink:
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    You give up after 1 little puncture? Shame on you DDD!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    Bad luck mate, if it makes you feel any better when I went into the garage earlier my MTB had a flat rear tyre and it's not even been ridden anywhere that takes me to 18 so far this year.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    You give up after 1 little puncture? Shame on you DDD!

Normally I wouldn't, but yesterday when I picked up the Kharma I was had to go into work ON MY DAY OFF! :evil: :evil: :evil: (and its not like I'm a doctor, nurse or press officer or something that is crucially important). Then I spent from 6pm till midnight with my Dad (not well :cry: ) - which is why I wasn't at the Morpeth - and had another family Emergency this morning...

I just took it as a sign that I wasn't meant to ride it today... maybe I have bad kharma, I need to set right before the bike works properly or something..... :wink:

Edit: I've got Conti Ultra Sport or Sport Ultra any good? Gonna order a pair of GP4000s come pay day....
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Don't worry DDD, there's always tomorrow!

I'm glad the fairy doesn't visit round my way too often - if I had a rear wheel puncture I'd have no clue how to take it off on a geared bike...
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Shift to the smallest cog, release brakes via QR, loosen QR levers, remove wheel. Easy!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Don't worry DDD, there's always tomorrow!

I'm glad the fairy doesn't visit round my way too often - if I had a rear wheel puncture I'd have no clue how to take it off on a geared bike...

as jash says easy to do, arguably easier than on a fixed as quick realease and not need to worry about chain tension when putting back.
  • pumps are so yesteryear get a couple of co2 cartridges in your pack

p.s nice kharma :)
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 18,878
    ...so weeks of mounting tension and unsupressable excitement led to an unplanned and premature loss of pressure...... :wink:

Also you will need to carry wads of cotton wool to protect the handlebars, saddle and shifters when the 'upside-bike-by-the-side-of-the-road' moments occur.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    tardie wrote:
    At least the carbon makes it nice and light for carrying. :wink:

Doh.....my new fixed is lighter, with guards..... :P ...

Should have forgotten the saddle bag....... Kit is cape, pump, tube and P kit (including a quick link) and maybe a multi tool - that's it......

TBH, only in the last couple of years have I ever taken a quick link or multi tool with me... never used them before, and haven't since..... but might be able to help some bod out one day......

The pump bit is pretty important..... :D
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Edit: I've got Conti Ultra Sport or Sport Ultra any good? Gonna order a pair of GP4000s come pay day....

I think these came with my Scott. Could just be bad luck, but, yes, there are more resistant tyres in the Conti range. That's a bu*gger!
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    Sounds earily familiar. My first trip out on the MAd one, I get to the first set of lights, only to realise the springs in my SPD SL's are a lot stiffer than my commuting bike, and over I go. Desperately trying to protect the seatpost I stick out knees elbows, anything in fact in order to protect my precious carbon soulmate.

Then limp home to dig the gravel out of my knee and elbow, much to the amusement of my family who didn't expect to see me for the rest of the day.

And that was on my 40th birthday, what a way to start the day :evil:

Don't worry DDD, it just makes the first proper ride that bit more special :lol::lol:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • Retch
    Retch Posts: 78
    I'll see your visit from Madame PF and raise you the rivets holding the braise on hanger for the front mech to the frame failing and totalling the mech, ar$ing the chain, damaging the rear wheel and gouging the carbon seat stay - all on the 3rd time out!
    FCN 5ish. Unless hungover.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Quick release on the brakes....? Errrr..... do I have quick release on my brakes???

....goes off to check...... errrr......
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    @DDD

Surely now you're a fully paid up member of the CSP you'll be wanting to bag your first sportive, how about the aptly named Highclere CommuniCat

www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=7916

50 miles with only one big hill, stunning countryside and wicked descents.

Do it!!!!!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Christophe3967
    Christophe3967 Posts: 1,200
    Bad luck DDD :( - sounds like you may not have gone through the correct CSP pre-ride procedure. Loads of people getting PF visits in the Surrey Hills today, so at least you're not alone.
  • andy83
    andy83 Posts: 1,558
    Quick release on the brakes....? Errrr..... do I have quick release on my brakes???

this amazed me for ages when i found on my brakes there is a little lever that opens the calipers to get wheel out, genuis lol
  • lost_in_thought
    andy83 wrote:

this amazed me for ages when i found on my brakes there is a little lever that opens the calipers to get wheel out, genuis lol

Linsen had to tell me where mine was... previously my line of work for getting the front wheel off was more 'huh' *pulls harder*

:oops:
  • prj45
    prj45 Posts: 2,208
    Bad luck DDD :( - sounds like you may not have gone through the correct CSP pre-ride procedure. Loads of people getting PF visits in the Surrey Hills today, so at least you're not alone.

Cerainly not!

One of the UK's most popular long-­distance amateur cycle events was brought to a sudden, if temporary, halt today after protesters spread carpet tacks over sections of the course, ­puncturing hundreds of tyres.

The race was subsequently resumed and most of the 3,700 riders finished, although about 500 received punctures from the tacks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/ma ... ia-protest

B&&$%dy puncture fairy!
  • lost_in_thought
    prj45 wrote:

Cerainly not!

One of the UK's most popular long-­distance amateur cycle events was brought to a sudden, if temporary, halt today after protesters spread carpet tacks over sections of the course, ­puncturing hundreds of tyres.

The race was subsequently resumed and most of the 3,700 riders finished, although about 500 received punctures from the tacks.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/ma ... ia-protest

B&&$%dy puncture fairy!

Blimey, and I thought linsen was joking! :shock: :evil:
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Sadly not. That's downright dangerous. Let's hope whoever did it doesn't step on one of their own tacks, with resulting puncture wound becoming infected.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Bassjunkieuk
    Bassjunkieuk Posts: 4,232
    First off sorry to hear about the anti-climax first ride, still i bet you won't forget your pump from now on!

As for that "protest" about the etape that is a rotten shame! It runs for 1 day a year for christ sake, just chill and stop moaning about lost revenue because I'm sure all the B&Bs and restaurants in the area must hate it when a few thousand cyclist want to descend on the area! As for the road closure i thought it was a rolling road block, so only sections of the course where closed at certain times so it's not even like the whole 81 mile course is closed at once...........
    Who's the daddy?
    Twitter, Videos & Blog
    Player of THE GAME
    Giant SCR 3.0 - FCN 5