merida bikes

adedownunder
adedownunder Posts: 30
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi Guy's

Im a road biker myself but this winter have decided to try some river trails and some forest tracks instead of sitting on the trainer on the wet and miserable days and seeing some grass and mud for a change. Im a MTB novice though and woud be really gratefull to anyone who can put me in the right direction on a purchase. This morning i have been looking at Trek and Merida. I know with Trek your pretty safe with the quality etc but the Merida bike was well made and had good components, im not going to be doing anything crazy on this bike just normal riding to keep the fitness up and getting of the tarmac for a few months. Has anyone got a Merida? or would you stick to the brand of bike you know is a safe bet!! or does anyone else have any suggestions?

Thanks

Ade

Comments

• noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Merida make frames for lots of other manufacturers so they know their stuff. Having said that, reading through the reviews, and a lot of their own brand bikes seem to be a bit hit and miss.
    I would simply look at what sort of riding you will be doing eg xc, marathon, freeride etc and then look at a few reviews and buy the best you can afford and what you like the look of. Then you wont be disappointed.
    Probably obvious stuff to you reallly but dont simply buy beacause of the name. More important that you buy the bike that suits your needs. :)
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • SpinningJenny
    SpinningJenny Posts: 889
    Thanks for asking this question, I meant to post this the other day, but forgot! By some horror or hoors I found myself in Bike Hut last weekend and saw a whole raft of Merida bikes... Now i know a bit more.

Knowledge is power! :D
    Ned Flanders: “You were bicycling two abreast?”
    Homer Simpson: “I wish. We were bicycling to a lake.”

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Merida own 51% of Spechialized.

they do make a lot of very good bikes and plenty of OK bikes and not too many bad ones.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    They do seem to come up pretty expensive, though, for their own builds.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • fourcrossjohn
    fourcrossjohn Posts: 2,500
    dont get one, i had one it was terrible
  • anything above and including the 'matts tfs 500' is worth looking at. in my opinion :lol:
    Focus Blackhills with a few bits :]
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Merida own 51% of Spechialized.

they do make a lot of very good bikes and plenty of OK bikes and not too many bad ones.

Its actually 49%
  • Thanks for all your advice guy's, i tried the Merida and it just didn't feel right after the test ride. The one i like and have ridden and had great spec was the Fuji. Im going to try out a couple of Giants and a Felt tomorrow so look's like i will be departed with my cash by Saturday afternoon and getting amongst it on Sunday morning.

Thanks again

Ade