Damage at Near Cliffe Wood, Conisbrough, Doncaster

South Yorkshire Police
edited May 2009 in Routes
A DH track has been constructed in the Woods near to Steetley Quarry, Conisbrough. The Woods called Nearcliffe Woods are between the village of Conisbrough and the Old Viaduct.
The track has been constructed in private woods and is a site of special scientific interest (SSSI)
Following a complaint from Natural England there is an investigation underway to identify and possibly prosecute those responsible for the building of this track under Section 28 Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
Anyone building further tracks or riding in the SSSI may face arrest, prosecution and the seizure of their bikes and equipment.

If you require and further information please contact.
http://neighbourhood.southyorks.police. ... onisbrough

Comments

• Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    That's really bad building in a place like that

Most riders are responsible folks who will ask the landowners permission to build

I hope this incident doesn't harm the reputation of mountain bikers, but I guess the actions of a few thoughtless individuals will bring the generally good reputation of mountain bikers into disrepute & cause those who do build legally to have problems in the future.

Selfish, inconsiderate, stupid, thoughtless muppets :evil:
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    South Yorkshire Police you are a muppet.

The inference of your post is that one or more members of this website or forum are in some way responsible for criminal damage or offences under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Your posting has unwittingly reinforced some of the sterotypes associated with the Police of whom I am a firm supporter.

As you are no doubt aware the investigation will come to nothing, there will be no arrest, no prosecution and no convictions. Your post is a simple psychological tool designed to 'frighten' bikers and unless you have specific information that a group or person on this forum is in some way responsible it is wholly inappropriate.

In future rather than seek to alienate the many responsible riders who frequent this forum try to work in partnership with us, we may just be able to help and provide the information you need to deal with the complaint using a 'problem solving approach'.

Oh and stop using 'Roger' on the radio, it makes you sound like a bunch of pirates.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    If you are a responsible rider, it is pretty unlikely that you will be 'alienated' by what the plod have written here. (if it is indeed the police) How exactly would you like them to work in partnership with us in a forum?

Some people have set up an illegal downhill run in an SSSI. The police want them to stop. Why does that give you a problem?
  • seataltea
    ellieb wrote:
    If you are a responsible rider, it is pretty unlikely that you will be 'alienated' by what the plod have written here. (if it is indeed the police) How exactly would you like them to work in partnership with us in a forum?

Some people have set up an illegal downhill run in an SSSI. The police want them to stop. Why does that give you a problem?

“It is delivery that makes the orators success.”

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe 1749-1832
    FCN4
    CUBE Peleton 2012
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    seataltea You are not going to get much support from the other members of the forum by talking like that. If the post dosn't apply to you or you cant help then don't bother replying.

Sounds like the OP is just trying to reach out to those responsible who may or may not use this forum, bear in mind those responsible may not be aware that they are doing any wrong.

Your post just makes you sound like a feisty youngster and does nothing to help the image of mountain biking.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • seataltea
    Tim.s wrote:
    seataltea You are not going to get much support from the other members of the forum by talking like that. If the post dosn't apply to you or you cant help then don't bother replying.

Sounds like the OP is just trying to reach out to those responsible who may or may not use this forum, bear in mind those responsible may not be aware that they are doing any wrong.

Your post just makes you sound like a feisty youngster and does nothing to help the image of mountain biking.

Tim, once again understand my post.

“It is delivery that makes the orators success.”

Johann Wolfgang von Goethe 1749-1832
    FCN4
    CUBE Peleton 2012
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    Wow, not only was Goethe 'Germany's greatest man of letters… and the last true polymath to walk the earth' * He was also one of the worlds first mountain bikers. Is there no end to this mans talent?

I wasn't actually aware of any oration taking place... must have missed it.

*Thanks wiki
  • Tim.s
    To be honest your opening statement set the tone and after that all I read was someone trying to get a dig in. The pirate statement makes you sound about 12.

This 'is' the Police trying to work with us and connect with us on our level in a format we will understand and relate to.

Personnally I welcome this sort of thing, Ive been in a freeride area when a land owner turned up with his baliffs and it wasnt nice. ANYONE making an effort to help is alright in my book.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • seataltea
    Tim.s wrote:
    To be honest your opening statement set the tone and after that all I read was someone trying to get a dig in. The pirate statement makes you sound about 12.

This 'is' the Police trying to work with us and connect with us on our level in a format we will understand and relate to.

Personnally I welcome this sort of thing, Ive been in a freeride area when a land owner turned up with his baliffs and it wasnt nice. ANYONE making an effort to help is alright in my book.

Love to be 12 again.

There are ways and means of communicating, seeking to make a point, making a statement and appealing for help.

The approach of the poster calling themselves SYP fails on so many levels, I suggest it has not been through a press officer and has probably only been approved by a local Neighbourhood Inspector with limited media experience and little or no experience of using current forms of media/IT to the best advantage.

The basic point made by the poster is indeed quite valid but in the great tradition of the Police Service it fails to engage with the public and instead comes across as accusatorial.

As regards the comments about muppets and pirates I'm sure SYP have broad shoulders, now if ninjas were mentioned you might have a point.........
    FCN4
    CUBE Peleton 2012
  • Tim.s
    Bored now, you win, whatever.

Peace out. :D
    "Didn't hurt"
  • joe1983
    joe1983 Posts: 440
    I'm with you seataltea - made me laugh anyway
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    seataltea wrote:
    The approach of the poster calling themselves SYP fails on so many levels, I suggest it has not been through a press officer and has probably only been approved by a local Neighbourhood Inspector with limited media experience and little or no experience of using current forms of media/IT to the best advantage.

It is also interesting to note that the OP hasn't contributed anything further to this thread. Come on, SYP, a response if you please...!
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    FYI the OP is a member of the SYP.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • dave_hill
    nicklouse wrote:
    FYI the OP is a member of the SYP.

That's as maybe (and as yet we only have your word on that, the link provided by the OP is no proof of anything, anyone could have picked it up), but I'm with SeatAltea on this one.

The police have my full support in their work of preventing and detecting crime and seeing that criminals face justice (even if the outcome isn't always the one desired). They do a difficult, mucky and in many cases dangerous job and in that they have my respect.

However, the original post is threatening, accusational, divisive and mind-blowingly badly thought out. It will ultimately be counter-productive. I doubt that whoever has built these trails has done so a) knowingly to cause damage to an SSSI or AONB, or b) out of spite or malice.

To that end, threatening arrest and prosecution, and ultimately criminalising the builders and potentially the entire MTB community isn't the way to go about resolving this issue. Engagement, dialogue, education and attempting to resolve the issue without recourse to such drastic measures (which should only be an ultimate recourse if all else fails) is the way forward.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    Being a moderator you get to see users details that a normal user cannot see, so Nicklouse's info will be correct.

I do not see that the OP's post is wrong in any way, it's not threatening in any way, it merely points out what could happen if the law was taken to it's full extent.

Nor is it accusing any forum member of such acts, I see no members names in the OP's post.

the builders have caused criminal damage, in no way has the entire MTB population been criminalised by the OP, only the builders of the illegal trails, whether they knew it was illegal or not doesn't matter, it's still illegal.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • dave_hill
    Anyone building further tracks or riding in the SSSI may face arrest, prosecution and the seizure of their bikes and equipment.

That sounds like a threat to me.
    Andy_B wrote:
    Nor is it accusing any forum member of such acts, I see no members names in the OP's post.

I didn't say that it was accusing any particular individual, but I still find it accusatory by implication.
    Andy_B wrote:
    the builders have caused criminal damage, in no way has the entire MTB population been criminalised by the OP, only the builders of the illegal trails

At risk of over-using a well worn cliche, it's the thin end of the wedge. If seen it happen so many times before it isn't true.
    Andy_B wrote:
    whether they knew it was illegal or not doesn't matter, it's still illegal.

I don't disagree with that, but surely it would have been better to try to engage with the miscreants and encourage them to move on and dig elsewhere rather than wade in with size twelves and truncheons flailing. The police often wonder why they are failing to win over youngsters and it's precisely this sort of heavy-handed approach that alienates them.

It may have been better to say that persons who continue to build may face prosecution, but that the police would be happy to mediate or assist in finding alternative solutions. South Yorkshire should take a leaf out of Lancashire's book on this one.
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • topsey_turvey
    topsey_turvey Posts: 420
    Possibly the only people to get upset by the post will be those who have either built the course and caused the damage, or those who sympathise with them and feel that every bit of spare ground should have a bike trail for the baggy jeans and full body armour brigade to ride whenever they want.

It is impossible to have any sort of reasoned debate with this gang - just look at the Healey Nab firago. The downhillas are building their own trails even before the official ones are completed. Why? Because they don't like what they are being given. Mummy will always encourage youf to go and play, and it doesn't matter where.

Ain't doin no arm izzit.
    Frank Yates
  • The OP appeared on this forum as Near Cliffe Wood is being actively promoted as a DH competition race venue. Police involvement was prompted by a complaint and investigation by Natural England. Who manage the SSSI.
    http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/

Thank you for the feed back given in this thread as a result the messages appearing on other forums promoting Near Cliffe Wood will appear as follows.

This is being place on this forum as the location has been discussed previously on forum threads. This post is being given as information, as it is acknowledged that the vast majority of cyclists do ride legally. It has appeared on other forums that have mentioned the Near Cliffe Woods DH track.
    A DH track has been constructed in the Woods near to Steetley Quarry, Conisbrough. The Woods called Nearcliffe Woods are between the village of Conisbrough and the Old Viaduct.
    The track has been constructed in private woods and is a site of special scientific interest (SSSI)
    The woods have been used by cyclists for years and has had northshore and various jumps built. More recently a downhill track has been constructed through the woods and competitions organised. This has resulted in excessive damage to the woodland environment.
    Following a complaint from Natural England there is an investigation underway to identify and possibly prosecute those responsible for the building of this track under Section 28 Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
    Anyone building further tracks for riding in the SSSI may face arrest, prosecution and the seizure of their bikes and equipment. However it is not the intention of SYP to try to criminilise riders doing so responsibly.
    Conisbrough safer neighbourhood team is looking at the issues surrounding the use of the woods and possibly finding a compromise with the Police, landowner, riders and Natural England.
  • dave_hill
    Possibly the only people to get upset by the post will be those who have either built the course and caused the damage, or those who sympathise with them

Again, I find the post offensive because of the approach. I have no sympathy for people who deliberately and knowingly damage other people's property. Hell, I'd be livid if someone started digging my back garden up!!

But I do sympathise with people who feel that they are being treated unfairly with no attempt at a mediated solution.
    and feel that every bit of spare ground should have a bike trail for the baggy jeans and full body armour brigade to ride whenever they want.

Frank, I'm 37 years old, I have well-paid 9 to 5 job and I drive a reasonable car. I live in a nice house with all mod cons and a few luxuries too. I like to think that I'm a reasonably well-balanced, law abiding citizen. But when the occasion demands I wear a full face lid, baggy jeans, skaters, a hoody and body armour. I take exception to the fact you feel that these are the badges of hooligan society, and as such you also discriminate against me.

Not all of us like our rides to be head down, arse-up pain-fests along impecably manicured trails with no mud, uphills or downhills. Having traded posts with you and also ridden with you, it is clear that you do, but that's your bag and I'm perfectly happy to let you get on with it. I think that you've unfortunately lost touch with the child inside yourself and that's very, very sad indeed.
    It is impossible to have any sort of reasoned debate with this gang.

It is if you adopt a patronising and authoritarian starting point. If there's one thing that youngsters have it's a very highly developed sense of fairness. How many times have you heard a child complain "it's not fair"??

No, it isn't fair, it isn't fair that you can't tear up somebody else's land without having your liberty taken from you and your bike and shovel crushed, but simply telling them "no" and giving them a slap round the chops won't help them to understand why it isn't fair.

As adults, we have a responsibility to help youngsters develop into responsible adults. We have a duty of care and a duty to explain the rights and wrongs of life and what the consequences of building trails illegaly will be.

Sadly, many of us fail miserably at this and our only success will be to make the situation worse. And those of us who do fail view those who dont, or who continue to try to educate, as bleeding-heart liberals and hand-wringing do-gooders.

I stand by my view that building trails illegally is wrong and should be stopped.

But equally so, I stand by my belief that education, engagement and mediation are the way to proceed. Prosecution and confiscation should be a last resort.

Cycling of any form is sociable, healthy and legal pastime. If South Yorkshire Police have any oil in their cans they should be finding out who is creating these trails, and saying, look, you can't build here. This is an SSSI for the following reasons. This is important because of the following reasons. We are giving you the opportunity to stop your activities and move on. We understand your need to do this but you can't do it here. If you continue to do it then there is a strong likelihood that you may be brought to account for it.

This is what community support officers are for. They should be out and about helping to find a suitable piece of land for building on (Conisbrough must be absolutely spoilt for choice in this respect given its location and past history), mediating between interested parties and finding a mutually agreeable solution, not stamping on it and treating it as a criminal investigation.

Round my neck of the woods this is precisely what they do - a good example is their continued efforts to help local youngsters to raise money to build a BMX park on some derelict land which the local authority has compulsarily purchased just for that purpose. They've already raised £8000 of the £18000 that they need in the first three months of the campaign. All this has arisen from a very similar set of circumstances to that in Conisbrough, but there has been no threat of prosecution, only good, common-sense community policing which is resulting in positive action to keep everyone happy.

Looking at South Yorkshire Police's website, there seems to be problems with underage drinking, anti-social behaviour and petty theft in the Conisbrough area. Perhaps the police would prefer our trail builders to be engaging in these sort of activities so that they are more visible and make for easier arrests?
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • tyesidoz
    tyesidoz Posts: 34
    dave_hill wrote:
    Possibly the only people to get upset by the post will be those who have either built the course and caused the damage, or those who sympathise with them

Again, I find the post offensive because of the approach. I have no sympathy for people who deliberately and knowingly damage other people's property. Hell, I'd be livid if someone started digging my back garden up!!

But I do sympathise with people who feel that they are being treated unfairly with no attempt at a mediated solution.
    and feel that every bit of spare ground should have a bike trail for the baggy jeans and full body armour brigade to ride whenever they want.

Frank, I'm 37 years old, I have well-paid 9 to 5 job and I drive a reasonable car. I live in a nice house with all mod cons and a few luxuries too. I like to think that I'm a reasonably well-balanced, law abiding citizen. But when the occasion demands I wear a full face lid, baggy jeans, skaters, a hoody and body armour. I take exception to the fact you feel that these are the badges of hooligan society, and as such you also discriminate against me.

Not all of us like our rides to be head down, ars*-up pain-fests along impecably manicured trails with no mud, uphills or downhills. Having traded posts with you and also ridden with you, it is clear that you do, but that's your bag and I'm perfectly happy to let you get on with it. I think that you've unfortunately lost touch with the child inside yourself and that's very, very sad indeed.

It is if you adopt a patronising and authoritarian starting point. If there's one thing that youngsters have it's a very highly developed sense of fairness. How many times have you heard a child complain "it's not fair"??

No, it isn't fair, it isn't fair that you can't tear up somebody else's land without having your liberty taken from you and your bike and shovel crushed, but simply telling them "no" and giving them a slap round the chops won't help them to understand why it isn't fair.

As adults, we have a responsibility to help youngsters develop into responsible adults. We have a duty of care and a duty to explain the rights and wrongs of life and what the consequences of building trails illegaly will be.

Sadly, many of us fail miserably at this and our only success will be to make the situation worse. And those of us who do fail view those who dont, or who continue to try to educate, as bleeding-heart liberals and hand-wringing do-gooders.

I stand by my view that building trails illegally is wrong and should be stopped.

But equally so, I stand by my belief that education, engagement and mediation are the way to proceed. Prosecution and confiscation should be a last resort.

Cycling of any form is sociable, healthy and legal pastime. If South Yorkshire Police have any oil in their cans they should be finding out who is creating these trails, and saying, look, you can't build here. This is an SSSI for the following reasons. This is important because of the following reasons. We are giving you the opportunity to stop your activities and move on. We understand your need to do this but you can't do it here. If you continue to do it then there is a strong likelihood that you may be brought to account for it.

This is what community support officers are for. They should be out and about helping to find a suitable piece of land for building on (Conisbrough must be absolutely spoilt for choice in this respect given its location and past history), mediating between interested parties and finding a mutually agreeable solution, not stamping on it and treating it as a criminal investigation.

Round my neck of the woods this is precisely what they do - a good example is their continued efforts to help local youngsters to raise money to build a BMX park on some derelict land which the local authority has compulsarily purchased just for that purpose. They've already raised £8000 of the £18000 that they need in the first three months of the campaign. All this has arisen from a very similar set of circumstances to that in Conisbrough, but there has been no threat of prosecution, only good, common-sense community policing which is resulting in positive action to keep everyone happy.

Looking at South Yorkshire Police's website, there seems to be problems with underage drinking, anti-social behaviour and petty theft in the Conisbrough area. Perhaps the police would prefer our trail builders to be engaging in these sort of activities so that they are more visible and make for easier arrests?

well said m8.
  • topsey_turvey
    topsey_turvey Posts: 420
    dave_hill wrote:

Not all of us like our rides to be head down, ars*-up pain-fests along impecably manicured trails with no mud, uphills or downhills. Having traded posts with you and also ridden with you, it is clear that you do, but that's your bag and I'm perfectly happy to let you get on with it. I think that you've unfortunately lost touch with the child inside yourself and that's very, very sad indeed.

John I wasn't having a pop at you, but if that's the way you want to take it it's OK by me.

In any activity no-one can operate in isolation, but I'm afraid the illegal trail builders just don't give a damn for anyone or anything. I was on the Loughrigg Terrace today, having a nice chat with four walkers. They were interested in what I was doing and my bike. Suddenly two riders with full face helmets, arm guards and shin guards (on the Loughrigg Terrace ffs!) flew straight at us. They made no attempt to slow down or swerve. One of the walkers and myself both finished up on our arses. What sort of impression does that give of bike riders? I'm sorry but the kewl brigade don't give a fig for anyone or anything so long as they can ride their bikes where and when they want.

You can't really come across as pious as you do. You keep writing about only riding on bridleways, but most of the routes you have sent me contain large chunks of footpath riding.

Anything can be done in reason, but just cocking a snook at anyone or anything that you don't agree with will get you and mountain biking nowhere.
    Frank Yates
  • seataltea
    The OP appeared on this forum as Near Cliffe Wood is being actively promoted as a DH competition race venue. Police involvement was prompted by a complaint and investigation by Natural England. Who manage the SSSI.
    http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/

Thank you for the feed back given in this thread as a result the messages appearing on other forums promoting Near Cliffe Wood will appear as follows.

This is being place on this forum as the location has been discussed previously on forum threads. This post is being given as information, as it is acknowledged that the vast majority of cyclists do ride legally. It has appeared on other forums that have mentioned the Near Cliffe Woods DH track.
    The woods have been used by cyclists for years and has had northshore and various jumps built. More recently a downhill track has been constructed through the woods and competitions organised. This has resulted in excessive damage to the woodland environment.
    Anyone building further tracks for riding in the SSSI may face arrest, prosecution and the seizure of their bikes and equipment. However it is not the intention of SYP to try to criminilise riders doing so responsibly.
    Conisbrough safer neighbourhood team is looking at the issues surrounding the use of the woods and possibly finding a compromise with the Police, landowner, riders and Natural England.

Well done, that's so much better than the original post.

You have learned that adjusting your style to meet your target audience has been a benefit, you have positively engaged with a specialist minority group and have recognised and responded to feedback.

One side of the problem solving triangle has been achieved and another fine example of the everyday partnership work of SYP has been completed.

A fantastic example for promotion too, you'll be a CI before you know it :lol:

Roger.
    FCN4
    CUBE Peleton 2012
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    dave_hill wrote:

That sounds like a threat to me..

Or a warning. Or in fact a simple statement of fact. But either way, it's not for you so what's the issue? Do you take offence at signs that say "Shoplifters may be prosecuted"? Maybe the people who built it will read this, or their mates will, and the damage stops. Seems like smart policing to me, the intent is obviously to stop the building rather than to get the builders.

Mind you, the thread title is really unhelpful.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bobp556
    bobp556 Posts: 8
    I have copied this across from another thread as thos one seems rather prolific on this subject.

read all the previous comments with interest. I represent Natural England and this came to our attention recently following the last downhill event. Natural England asked the police for assistance as is the normal practice so in the light of that some of you should perhaps be caling us the 'plonkers' not them.

I will arrange for a full explanation about this downhill site to be entered on here in the very near future.

Natural England have no wish to deprive anyone of their enjoyment of the countryside or outdoor interests. The problem here is a very simple one; 'streetly downhill' runs through Nearcliff Woods which are part of a set of woodlands deemed of national importance, so much so that in 1988 they were given a protected status. This protected status does create heavy financial penalties for anyone damaging the site and that includes the trees and the ground habitat.

We do have to stop this particular downhill course. Clearly this will cause local downhill riders a problem. I will try to be at the site on Sunday with another Natural England officer so if you wish please come and speak to us about this.

If the organisers read this please contact me on bobp556-neinv@yahoo.co.uk

I hope you all see this as a fair entry.
  • bobp556
    I hope the following comes out OK. This is basically a copy of a leaflet setting out the conservation issues at Steetley Woods.

We do not set out to spoil people's fun and we try to balance the needs of the environment and wildlife against the use and enjoyment of the countryside by the public. However digging up a SSSI to construct trails and jumps, creating pits and large areas of compacted soil and holding competitions that leave large amounts of litter is absolutely unacceptable and against the law. I am sure that no rider seeks to destroy the countryside that you all enjoy and Natural England are not out to spoil anyone's enjoyment of downhill riding but this site now needs to be restored and the habitat protected.

Please could the organisers of this event contact me to discuss this ASAP. (Dont use a personal message, I'm too old to understand how they work)

Bobp556-neinv@yahoo.co.uk

The information below will answer some of the questions you may have :

What is a Site of Special Scientific Interest?

Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSI) represent the very best of the rich variety of wildlife and geology that makes England’s nature special and distinct from any other country in the world. There are over 4,100 SSSIs in England covering over one million hectares, which is about 7% of England’s land area.

What is the law protecting SSSIs?

SSSIs are protected by law under Section 28 of the Wildlife & Countryside Act 1981 (as amended by Schedule 9 to the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 and Section 55 of the Natural Environment and Rural Communities Act 2006) in order to conserve and protect these unique areas for the benefit of present and future generations and are a vital part of our natural heritage.

Why are they important?

Nearcliffe Woods, also known as Steetley Woods, are within Sprotbrough Gorge SSSI.
    The woodland areas within Sprotbrough Gorge SSSI, which includes Nearcliffe Woods, are important for their calcareous ash-wych elm woodland (southern variant). Collectively the woodland areas on the slopes of the Gorge are among the top three best examples of this type of woodland in the country. Sprotbrough Gorge was declared a SSSI in 1988 to protect the wide diversity of trees, shrubs and wildflowers typical in this type of woodland.

What harm can bikes and vehicles have on this SSSI?

Natural England recognises that there are responsible bikers who are using lawful routes and not damaging SSSIs nor causing concern or disruption to anyone. However, recent construction of bike routes and jumps in this SSSI is causing serious damage to the woodland trees, to the woodland shrub layer, the ground flora and the soil structure. Bird species are possibly being disturbed and large amounts of litter are accumulating.

Is bike & vehicular use allowed on a SSSI?

Generally recreational & vehicular use on a SSSI will be classed as an operation likely to damage. This means that creating bike routes and jumps and using vehicles on a SSSI can only legally be undertaken with Natural England’s permission unless people are using a lawful route.

What is a lawful route?

A lawful route, such as a byway open to all traffic, is one which has been classified by a local authority for use by the public for activities such as walking, horse riding and motor vehicle use. Check with the local authority as to the status of the route.

What happens about activities on a SSSI without permission or on a lawful route?

Unlawful biking, recreational or vehicle activity on this SSSI is a criminal offence which can result in a fine in the Magistrates Court of a fine up to £20,000 or to an unlimited fine in the Crown Court.

It is also a criminal offence under section 34 of the Road Traffic Act 1984 (as amended) if a motor vehicle is upon any land other than a road including a footpath, bridleway or restricted byway. This offence will be dealt with by the police by issuing a fixed penalty notice or a prosecution in the Magistrates Court up to £1000.

Equipment & vehicles may also be seized.
  • DHgrovzey
    DHgrovzey Posts: 1
    this is a load of bulshit, profesionals like gee athorton and stee peat ride in those woods, they cant not allow people to ride there :evil: ..... there is now organised races, so this is a load of crap
  • Come on i dont care if it ssssss or whatever he said, it is not exactly damaging the area, there will be a tiny little bald patch with no grass about a quarter of a meter wide which would be left by walkers anyway. I am not against the police and don't think it's their fault if a land owner phones up the police and says people are trespassing on sssi land then they HAVE to deal with it, but they shouldn't have posted it on this forum.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • tompug
    tompug Posts: 227
    Here is the area affected by the SSSI.

untitled-1.jpg

The quarry and below the fire road is fair game it appears.

Here is some info on the landowners resposibility for the SSSI, and damage to the SSSI by others.
    http://www.naturalengland.org.uk/ourwork/conservation/designatedareas/sssi/owneroccupierinfo.aspx

It is interesting that the site has been classified as ' unfavourable condition', I presume Natural England has persued the land owners on improving it (as stated on their website), as no management has ever taken place, other than what the resposible mtb'ers do.
    It seems like we are an easy target, being a community and respoisble group. You can't persue the car burners or illegal motorcyclists ruining the woods, so you target us.

I have to say it's a poor show by those representing Natural England, there has been no effort to talk and educated people on the status of the wood, no signs, posters or anything. It's straight in with heavy handed threats.
    If you had a chance at improving the woods, you have just lost it by alienating this community and the the local riders with this mob handed attitude.
  • bobp556
    I have to say it's a poor show by those representing Natural England, there has been no effort to talk and educated people on the status of the wood, no signs, posters or anything. It's straight in with heavy handed threats.

Thank you for all who spoke to the Police, the owner and Natural England at Near Cliffe Woods today. I hope that although you may not have agreed with ererything we said you will see that no one is against downhill just a problem with unregulated downhill at that location. I do hope discussions with Natural England and the owner now progress.

For the person entering the above I have tried through emails and entries on sites to get someone to talk to us before today but no one ever responded hence we turned up.

Bob
  • bobp556
    Come on i dont care if it ssssss or whatever he said, it is not exactly damaging the area, there will be a tiny little bald patch with no grass about a quarter of a meter wide which would be left by walkers anyway. I

Just to finally put a line under the alleged damage for those who dont go there. I wish it was a tiny bald patch a quarter of a metre wide. Even the organiser of this event accepts an area of many square yards of jumps, pits dug, berms created, trees cut, no grass, ground like concrete (and that is at the top of the run) as damaging the habitat.

That said It seems that these downhill bikers may be about to set an example and work with Natural England to sort this out. If that happens, well done.

Bob