Damage at Near Cliffe Wood, Conisbrough, Doncaster

South Yorkshire Police
edited May 2009 in MTB rides
A DH track has been constructed in the Woods near to Steetley Quarry, Conisbrough. The Woods called Nearcliffe Woods are between the village of Conisbrough and the Old Viaduct.
The track has been constructed in private woods and is a site of special scientific interest (SSSI)
Following a complaint from Natural England there is an investigation underway to identify and possibly prosecute those responsible for the building of this track under Section 28 Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.
Anyone building further tracks or riding in the SSSI may face arrest, prosecution and the seizure of their bikes and equipment.

If you require and further information please contact.
http://neighbourhood.southyorks.police. ... onisbrough

Comments

• tyesidoz
    tyesidoz Posts: 34
    why is it all of a sudden its a wildlife i nterest this track has been there for a long time,more like dog walkers etc dont want people riding there.

would you rather people cause havoc on the streets than enjoy themselfs on the track.

doo gooders dont we love them
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    edited May 2009
    If its illegal its illegal.Just like someone turning up and building a house in your back garden.
    Plenty of legit areas out there to build.Or actually ask The landowners permission to build.ALL land is owned by someone.SSSI and nature reserves etc are important to the whole infrastructure,no point in destroying them?!
  • I am a mountain biking god.
    Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.
  • tyesidoz
    easyier to close down peoples fun,than catch thieves.
  • sniper68
    Even easier to ride BWs/trail centres etc and not ride illegally.MTBing gets enough bad shit without giving people ammunition.
  • BoardinBob
    BoardinBob Posts: 697
    Nice set of priorities for the boys in blue 8)
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    posted this in the other thread:

That's really bad building in a place like that

Most riders are responsible folks who will ask the landowners permission to build

I hope this incident doesn't harm the reputation of mountain bikers, but I guess the actions of a few thoughtless individuals will bring the generally good reputation of mountain bikers into disrepute & cause those who do build legally to have problems in the future.

Selfish, inconsiderate, stupid, thoughtless muppets
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • Mr.Epic
    Mr.Epic Posts: 23
    LOL at Graham! Sublte at a brick through The Nick's window :wink:
    Remember - a little adventure is good for you !
  • sniper68
    So trespass isn't as bad?Or is just certain crimes that are bad?
  • tyesidoz
    this place is an old colliery (mining) woods not a area of outstanding beauty.
  • stumpyjon
    stumpyjon Posts: 4,069
    If you want to build get involved with one of the legit digs. This just cocks things up for everyone.
    It's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission.

I've bought a new bike....ouch - result
    Can I buy a new bike?...No - no result
  • sniper68
    tyesidoz wrote:
    If its a designated SSSI it doesn't matter if it looks like a cows arse.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    So trespass isn't as bad?Or is just certain crimes that are bad?

Tresspass isn't a crime technically, but I still agree with your first post, the persons who built the track shouldn't be there without land owners permission.
  • ellieb
    ellieb Posts: 436
    & is an SSSI.

I suppose people who ride mountain bikes are just as likely to be selfish & stupid as the rest of the genereal public :roll:
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    Just in case you didn't pick it up on your other post.

South Yorkshire Police you are a muppet.

The inference of your post is that one or more members of this website or forum are in some way responsible for criminal damage or offences under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

Your posting has unwittingly reinforced some of the sterotypes associated with the Police of whom I am a firm supporter.

As you are no doubt aware the investigation will come to nothing, there will be no arrest, no prosecution and no convictions. Your post is a simple psychological tool designed to 'frighten' bikers and unless you have specific information that a group or person on this forum is in some way responsible it is wholly inappropriate.

In future rather than seek to alienate the many responsible riders who frequent this forum try to work in partnership with us, we may just be able to help and provide the information you need to deal with the complaint using a 'problem solving approach'.

Oh and stop using 'Roger' on the radio, it makes you sound like a bunch of pirates.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • tyesidoz
    ibbo68 wrote:
    tyesidoz wrote:
    If its a designated SSSI it doesn't matter if it looks like a cows ars*.

all iam saying is its been there for years and all of a sudden after a few locals moaned about bikes its a sssi.
  • So trespass isn't as bad?Or is just certain crimes that are bad?

Who mentioned trespass ? The original post didn't meke it clear exactly what crime had been committed.
    Presumably, digging on private land or an SSSi is criminal damage.
    However, SYP then go on to threaten anyone riding in the SSSI with arrest, prosecution and the seizure of their bikes.
    I don't know the area. Are there bridlepaths or footpaths ? Are they permissive or RoW ?
    Will walkers who step off the paths also be arrested ?
    Is cycling somewhere other than a RoW really an arrestible offence ?
    Can the police really seize someone's bike for riding on private land ?
    I am a mountain biking god.
    Unfortunately, my bike's an atheist.
  • Barkey
    Barkey Posts: 339
    how do you even know if this post was by the police?

I see people on motor bikes on bridle paths all the time not that the police do anything about that.
  • Eranu
    Eranu Posts: 712
    I see people on motor bikes on bridle paths all the time not that the police do anything about that.

They will if you tell them about it. I've seen Police Officers on MTBs nicking people with motor bikes who have been riding on bridle paths a few times. Twice I have called them or spoken to rangers who I've seen in the woods, so they will do something if you tell them.
  • Cheshley
    Cheshley Posts: 1,448
    tyesidoz wrote:
    ibbo68 wrote:
    tyesidoz wrote:
    If its a designated SSSI it doesn't matter if it looks like a cows ars*.

all iam saying is its been there for years and all of a sudden after a few locals moaned about bikes its a sssi.

It's been an SSSI since 1988 and whether a few locals have moaned about it or not, it's private land and bitching about it isn't going to change that.
    1998 Marin Hawk Hill
    2008 Specialized FSR XC Comp
    2008 Scott Speedster S30 FB

SLOW RIDES FOR UNFIT PEOPLE - Find us on Facebook or in the MTB Rides section of this forum.
  • seataltea wrote:

The inference of your post is that one or more members of this website or forum are in some way responsible for criminal damage or offences under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981.

The woods in Donny were being talked about on a thread by members of this forum so maybe we've got some here that are (ir)responsible. I've riden the woods for years and don't want tio see them off limits

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... sc&start=0
  • bobp556
    bobp556 Posts: 8
    I read all the previous comments with interest. I represent Natural England and this came to our attention recently following the last downhill event. Natural England asked the police for assistance as is the normal practice so in the light of that some of you should perhaps be caling us the 'plonkers' not them.

I will arrange for a full explanation about this downhill site to be entered on here in the very near future.

Natural England have no wish to deprive anyone of their enjoyment of the countryside or outdoor interests. The problem here is a very simple one; 'streetly downhill' runs through Nearcliff Woods which are part of a set of woodlands deemed of national importance, so much so that in 1988 they were given a protected status. This protected status does create heavy financial penalties for anyone damaging the site and that includes the trees and the ground habitat.

We do have to stop this particular downhill course. Clearly this will cause local downhill riders a problem. I will try to be at the site on Sunday with another Natural England officer so if you wish please come and speak to us about this.

If the organisers read this please contact me on bobp556-neinv@yahoo.co.uk

I hope you all see this as a fair entry.
  • Bikerbaboon
    Bikerbaboon Posts: 1,017
    Eranu wrote:

They will if you tell them about it. I've seen Police Officers on MTBs nicking people with motor bikes who have been riding on bridle paths a few times. Twice I have called them or spoken to rangers who I've seen in the woods, so they will do something if you tell them.

wow can i have some off your bobbies please.

4 times i have called and infrom the westyorkshire finest that people where rideing motorbikes on the playing fields.

4 times i have been told ahhh well they are normly gone by the time we get there but i will have an office pass by next time hes in the area.

3 times i have had an attempted breaking to my property causing criminal damage..... but as my garrage does not have a connecting door to my house i got 0 police turn up.... just a crime referance number and a letter from victim support.

back on topic

so people rideing over private ( not a criminal offence.)
    Digging in a wood next to a quarry ( huuuummmmm no digging involved in a quarry ehh?)
    gets threats from a suposed police officer of arrest and more to a random selection of forum readers.

I dont think that its realy the police doing this.
    If you are a police officer then please PM me with your number and name so i may make a complaint about you. As i feel that the tone you have taken is that readers of this site are acting in a criminal way. Rather than as the post above has done asked riders to engage in working with the land owners to work out a sustainable way of working around this issue. Could be another case of comunity police work.

If not its a criminal offence to impersinate the police and i would hope that the forum moderators would take apropriate action.
    Nothing in life can not be improved with either monkeys, pirates or ninjas
  • stev68
    stev68 Posts: 109
    Sounds like a rogue rambler!

destroy!
    :twisted:
    destroy!
    destroy!

lol sorry
    Told ya itll hurt!