Balls of steel

missingmillar
missingmillar Posts: 38
edited May 2009 in Pro race
Surely this has to get the award for the balliest descent this year, in the rain!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/photos/2009/giro09/?id=/photos/2009/giro09/giro097/2_0038632_1_thumb2

Comments

• frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Yeah that was a little odd, but then not as bad as this:

There is practically no weight at all over the front tyre so even a small bump will make that flip right over!

610x.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,171
    I would say the first one is more dangerous a front tire puncture would be more likely with all that weight on it.
    Mañana
  • FCE2007
    FCE2007 Posts: 962
    edited May 2009
    pantanidown.jpg

8) BUT :shock:
    Powered by Haribo.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    That is unbelievable!! I hope he was only like that for a few seconds...it must be very hard on the arms and legs to maintain that position let alone it being ridiculously dangerous.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bugly
    Bugly Posts: 520
    Alexi Greywall was the first guy I ever saw descend like that back in LA games 1984. Tried it a few times but I really didnt feel safe doing it.

The second position (superman over the seat) is common for descending on mountain bikes. I once saw a guy get very low and have his scrotum get pulled in between the wheel and the rear brake. :shock:
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    Can't see why Bertolini wants to be that far forward. I use a similar position (on descents that I know and have good visibility on) but keep my butt on the tip of the saddle, which enables me to keep my elbows in tighter than Bertolini's. It's definitely quick and feels pretty stable. Taught to me by a Scotsman too :wink:
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364
    He'd be more aerodynamic if he kept his cranks level and his feet parallel to the ground surely.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I saw Schleck descending like that also recently. I tried it (briefly) and found it the most uncomfortable position EVER! But there must be SOME merit to the position if these Pros use it....
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Pokerface wrote:
    I saw Schleck descending like that also recently. I tried it (briefly) and found it the most uncomfortable position EVER! But there must be SOME merit to the position if these Pros use it....

Andy or Frank? Frank is not exactly renowned for his descending skills...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbyc0gFvsEI
  • teagar
    teagar Posts: 2,100
    Cadel's just trying to do a Pantani...

S'good fun adopting crazy positions when bombing it downhill...
    Note: the above post is an opinion and not fact. It might be a lie.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    afx237vi wrote:
    Pokerface wrote:

Andy or Frank? Frank is not exactly renowned for his descending skills...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mbyc0gFvsEI

Yeah - it was Andy.
  • I want one of those canyon bikes they are utterly dribblesome.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper