digital maps

skids70
skids70 Posts: 6
edited May 2009 in Routes
I want to buy some digital mapping software for Southern Scotland - any recommendations please?

Comments

• topsey_turvey
    topsey_turvey Posts: 420
    Not much to choose. They all use the OS maps, so the difference is the operating system. I run Memory Map for the whole of the country, but also have Tracklogs for their 1:25,000 maps for areas where MM only supply 1:50,000 maps.

As I said the maps are identical, but the two systems are totally different. You could also look at Fugawi which uses OS, or try Anquet Maps which is different again and uses the Harvey maps, but I don't think there is countrywide coverage with these.

Go to the relevant websites and they will all let you have a play with their systems. I prefer Memory Map although it is a bit clunky it is possibly the easiest to use. But like everything you'll probably get used to whatever you buy.

Try and find someone near to you and go and have a play with their system.

Buying maps can be expensive, unless you can find a map club.
    Frank Yates
  • I use Anquet Maps and think it's a briliant system, tried MM and wasn't too keen.

The guys at Anquet are very helpful, email them and you get an answer straight back - from a real person who knows what they're talking about - rare these days.
    Be happy, communicate happiness.
  • gaz047
    gaz047 Posts: 601
    i use memory map and am very happy with it, although it did take me a while to get to grips with it properly. cost £40iirc (thats for region 4 north of england)
    i haven't tried the others so can't compare the products.
    if it ain't rainin.....it ain't trainin
    Stick your 'rules' up your a%se
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    I'd also have a look at Quo.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    What do you actually plan to do with it? Bikehike is very basic but it's an effective route planner, does elevation maps too. And free of course
    Uncompromising extremist