Giro Stage 7 prediction

takethehighroad
takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
edited May 2009 in Pro race
My prediciton for today, or rather what I would like to see happen.

If a good descender can get 30 seconds by the GPM they've got 34k's downhill to hold on, it barely flattens out, and I think it's possible.

What does everyone think, are there any riders good enough to attack and then hold off the peloton on the descent? Pozatto? Spartacus? Pip Gilbert?

Or Bertolini..... :?

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    had similar thoughts... from google earth only the first few km are technical...

someone is going to try.....

if the break looks unlikley to be caught you could still see the gc lads stir it up.. menchov lost the podium in the tour last year on a descent... but regained it in the lab
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I think the descent looks far more dramatic in the profile that it is in reality. It drops about 1500m in 34km - thats less than 4%. The profile for the climb to the GPM looks even more gradual, so its difficult to imagine many of the sprinters being shelled out. Unless the road is very narrow or twisty for a significant distance, I think we'll see LPR and Highroad driving to the finish for a bunch sprint.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    It's a long breakaway day, maybe a Millartime day.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    I've ridden the Majola pass from Chiavenna. It's technical for about 3-4 kms from the summit and is then a nice, wide main road. No-one, not even, Savoldelli, could get enough of a gap on that section to hold all the way to Chiavenna. There is a 20 km flat section between St Moritz and the start of the descent too.

The question will be, can a break get enough of a gap before St Mortiz to hold it all the way to the end?
  • greeny12
    greeny12 Posts: 759
    My prediction?

Another Italian with a dodgy dopng past, racing for another second tier Italian team that most other race organisers avoid like the plague, will win.

The Giro truly is the dirtiest 'big' race on the planet....
    My cycle racing blog: http://cyclingapprentice.wordpress.com/

If you live in or near Sussex, check this out:
    http://ontherivet.ning.com/
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    greeny12 wrote:
    My prediction?

Another Italian with a dodgy dopng past, racing for another second tier Italian team that most other race organisers avoid like the plague, will win.

The Giro truly is the dirtiest 'big' race on the planet....

Indeed. You could eat your dinner off the Vuelta :roll:
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • I predict a late start on eurosport due to the tennis. 5-7 6-1 2-0.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I went for Pinotti because I thought a big group would get away, but it looks like there are just 4 riders and they only have 5 minutes. Oh well.

Watching the tennis... seems to be a bit unfair having a dude playing a girl!
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    quite - wish he'd hurry up and win
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    afx237vi wrote:
    I went for Pinotti because I thought a big group would get away, but it looks like there are just 4 riders and they only have 5 minutes. Oh well.

Watching the tennis... seems to be a bit unfair having a dude playing a girl!

it would be unfair if that "dude" played most dudes :)
  • afx237vi
    Noodley picked Bertolini for PTP :shock:
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Basso and Menchov will be bricking it.
    May well be some sizeable time gaps with such a wet decent......
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Noodley
    Noodley Posts: 1,725
    afx237vi wrote:

If he wins do I get 1,000,000 extra PTP points and awarded the title? :P
  • afx237vi
    Noodley wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

If he wins do I get 1,000,000 extra PTP points and awarded the title? :P

No, but you get to experience the warm fuzzy glow of knowing you picked a rank outsider and the admiration of your fellow Bikeradar peers (ie cycling nerds). That's much better.

If he wins. Which he hasn't yet.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I wouldn't swap my pick. He's got a small lead with 20km to do. It's for LPR, Quick-Step or Columbia to lose. Normally you need 2 minutes at 20km, he's got about a minute. Nice try but...
  • afx237vi
    Bertolini joined by Brutt, Hunter, Vigano and EBH.
  • Noodley
    afx237vi wrote:
    Noodley wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

C'mon even if he doesn't (and it looks as if he won't) I deserve some grudging admiration for my "shot in the dark I don't have a clue so pick a rank outsider" attitude :lol:
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    True!

And with EBH having jumped across, now of the sprinters teams want to give Cav a free tow to the finish so your man might still have his day.
  • afx237vi
    Noodley wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

C'mon even if he doesn't (and it looks as if he won't) I deserve some grudging admiration for my "shot in the dark I don't have a clue so pick a rank outsider" attitude :lol:

Noodley, if I was wearing a hat, I would be doffing it right now. But I'm not, so I won't :lol:

EBH wins. Played it very cool in the final kilometre when Bertolini went. Not only is he monster-strong, it looks like he's also very smart.
  • Noodley
    Oh well, that briefly brightened up my otherwise dull life :oops: :lol:
  • afx237vi
    Other good picks today... victor had EBH, DavMartinR had Hunter, Dave_1 had Goss, and a few people had Davis.
  • Noodley
    afx237vi wrote:
    Other good picks today... victor had EBH, DavMartinR had Hunter, Dave_1 had Goss, and a few people had Davis.

Whatever..... :lol:
  • DavMartinR
    DavMartinR Posts: 897
    I'm feeling a luke warm fuzzy glow right now??

Could be the first beer of the weekend though?? :lol:
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Nice timing on the sprint by EBH!!
  • Philip S
    Philip S Posts: 398
    I really enjoyed EBH's lack of experience with the podium presentation - he was all over the shop, looking a bit confused when the blonde podium girl tried to get up on the podium with him, air kissing her a second time as she got onto the podium, putting his parmesan down before the podium girl kissy sandwich photo, struggling to get the champagne cork popped, barely taking a swig of it... A pleasure to watch his endearing lack of preparation. :D

Still, on the basis of his performance in the stage today, he'll soon be well-practiced when it comes to GT presentations....
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Lol, it is funny seeing new guys on the podium especially when you see guys like Di Luca up there. Then again I think that guy will be on there a lot more in the future.

The way he out-sprinted sprinters (albeit not the elite) in the last two stages was very impressive, especailly given the gap was large. I'm talking about Gilbert, Pozzato and Hunter.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I was surprised at how good Garzelli was on the first summit finish and then fell apart the next day...clearly when he is on a good day he is as good as 9 years ago...so am willing to bet he'll try something unconventional today as will Cunego, see if the other teams will allow them back into the race or not?