Scarponi

pottssteve
pottssteve Posts: 4,069
edited May 2009 in Pro race
He's looking fresher in the Giro than he did in Tirreno - Adriatico!

http://www.steephill.tv/2009/tirreno-ad ... 382172.jpg
:wink:
Head Hands Heart Lungs Legs

Comments

• SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Not just picking on Scarponi, because it also applies to all other dopers that comeback after a suspension, but comments likes these on cyclingnews irk me;

Link :http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/may09/may15news

"Asked if he wanted to give a message to all the people who sidelined him after his admission to doping in 2007, Scarponi said, ....."

Seriously, what could he say? Who can he say 'up yours' to? The guy cheated, got caught and was duly suspended. It's not like he's suffered a terrible injustice in this.

And then the 'little prince" himself:
    "He was at the wrong place [Liberty Seguros] with the wrong person [Manolo Saiz] at the wrong time [2006]."

I think only once professional cycling can change their mindset from drug cheats being victims, the sport may be able to clean up it's culture.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I saw this Savio character was quite popular and specifically with those most vocal against Lance A. Word of advice, there's no way you can have a crack at Lance A every week and post complimentary stuff about people who are for the omerta (as Savio must be)...the defence of Scarponi was a pathetic comment that insults the intelligence of anyone who has any
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Dave_1 wrote:
    I saw this Savio character was quite popular and specifically with those most vocal against Lance A. Word of advice, there's no way you can have a crack at Lance A every week and post complimentary stuff about people who are for the omerta (as Savio must be)...the defence of Scarponi was a pathetic comment that insults the intelligence of anyone who has any

Why "must" Savio be for Omerta? I'm against doping in sport, but one of the reasons is that it puts undue pressure on the participants to make decisions they shouldn't have to. The riders who cheat are, to an extent, victims of a sport whose governing body had no will to protect their health from unscrupulous team managers, fellow competitors and themselves.

Myself, I've always thought that, in that position, I'd just give up and go and do something else, but it's an impossible judgement to make. Hence, I think that those who admit to cheating should be given a second chance, Scarponi got his and is making the most of it. Hopefully he is clean and, unless, there is evidence otherwise, I'm not sure why people don't want ot see one of the smaller teams in the race do well.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Harmon was talking about Savio yesterday too.

I think its good that at last we're talking about the 'd' word. Liggett glossed over it pretty much.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    ^ Ligget still thinks Landis was fitted up :roll: