Croft

John C.
John C. Posts: 2,113
edited May 2009 in Amateur race
I have never raced before but the last birthday made me think that if I ever wanted to, I'd better have a go sooner rather than later. I am fitter than I have ever been but there is a limit to how much fitter I can get. The guy on the web said be at Croft Auto circuit at 18.00 on Tuesday night and off you go.So I new where and when, I just needed an early finish from work, my only aims were to finish and not come last.Last night saw me with an early finish, so I headed off up the road to Croft. There were already a good number there . I was warmly welcomed and given a race group and number, The race was to start at 19.15 and I was to be in the first group out doing 14 laps of the 2.2 mile circuit .There were 12 of us in the novice ( green ) class about 100 riders in all. The warm up laps were ridden at about 20mph and I felt fairly happy although quite nervous.7.15 saw 12 novice riders leed the field with instructions not to tag on to the fastest groups the first time they past us ( some hope of that ). Speed fluctuated badly between 18 and 22mph with riders being reluctant to leed the group. I ended up in front on the into wind section and realised the error so I backed off on the next lap. Lap 5 saw us on a sprint lap and I realised I can't sprint. I was now starting to learn the track and how to power out of the various bends into the correct place on the track to be out of the wind and in the right place for the next bend.The fast group then past us, or rather flew past, we must have been a good 7-8 mph off their pace, from then on groups past us and our little group had been whittled down to 4 or 5 and we were trying to hang on to passing groups which we finally did on about lap 10, the speed now was from 22 up to 26 mph, my maximum speed was 28.7 mph (it's a flat circuit ) . laps 12-13 saw us passing slower riders, The racing was elbow to elbow and front tyre inches from back tyre and if you got on the windward side of the group down a straight , you were stuck there . The laps seemed to get shorter and the stitch in my side just remained a niggle and no more. Lap 14 was fairly easy, probably because every one was saving themselves for the sprint and I nearly got to the front on this bit, riders started gosling for position and I just tried to keep out of the way, speed went up near the last corners and then sprint they did, I didn't, I couldn't, I was done fore, my legs and bum ached like never before and snot hung from my nose to the floor. I'd finished and I wasn't last. Result. Yes I enjoyed myself although it's not something I'll do every week but I'll be back again in the next couple of months. May be anyone watching saw things differently but as a participant that is how I saw the race.
Many thanks to the organisers and everyone who gave me a wide birth.
John
http://www.ripon-loiterers.org.uk/

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail
Hills are just a matter of pace

Comments

• celbianchi
    celbianchi Posts: 854
    Well done John,
    I can remember my first race a few years back. Always nice to get it out of the way.
    You might prefer racing on the open road to a circuit, so don't be afraid to give that a try as the varied terrain etc will make for a different race experience.
  • the ferry
    the ferry Posts: 258
    ....what a great write up John - enjoyed that. I'm out with injury at the moment and helping out as best i can maybe you can consider this on the nights your not racing. You rightly say the event is well organised this is down to only a few hardy souls who turn up week in week out putting themselves out for our enjoyment.
  • John C.
    celbianchi wrote:
    Well done John,
    I can remember my first race a few years back. Always nice to get it out of the way.
    You might prefer racing on the open road to a circuit, so don't be afraid to give that a try as the varied terrain etc will make for a different race experience.

I had intended to ride an open road race but they are full up in this part of the world and there is no entry on the line, that is why I went to Croft, saying that I'm glad I went there now.

One thing I failed to mention were the kids racing, it was great to see todlers going round with Dad following behind.

• shockedsoshocked
    shockedsoshocked Posts: 4,021
    Hey John,

You may have seen me in the Chapter kit time trialling around on my own. Went out on the morning and it took me a good ahrd lap to warm up. Stupidly put myself in the scratch group, a big mistake, especially in the wind!

Glad you enjoyed it though, might see you there one time.
    "A cyclist has nothing to lose but his chain"

PTP Runner Up 2015
  • stevev
    stevev Posts: 18
    i was in the green group racing for the first time that night as well, my goals were to finish and try not to come last also. i let the main group get away thinking I would be knackered if i tried to stay with it which was a mistake :oops: .
    However i hung back and managed to pick 4 or 5 off as they dropped out the main group so it wasn't too bad. When the fast lads come past it really is an experience and I was suprised to see one or two of them were quite big built, but clearly powerfull.
    Only down side was a pulled hamstring which will hopefully be right for this weekends Richmond sportive, but I will defo be back at Croft it was canny craic and hopefully hold on to the main group for a little longer :wink:
    Its intresting that I've raced the track in the opposite direction many times on a motorbike and while I had realised it was a bit bumpy I have no idea how bad it was until I cycled it :shock:
  • John C.
    stevev wrote:
    i was in the green group racing for the first time that night as well, my goals were to finish and try not to come last also. i let the main group get away thinking I would be knackered if i tried to stay with it which was a mistake :oops: .
    However i hung back and managed to pick 4 or 5 off as they dropped out the main group so it wasn't too bad. When the fast lads come past it really is an experience and I was suprised to see one or two of them were quite big built, but clearly powerfull.
    Only down side was a pulled hamstring which will hopefully be right for this weekends Richmond sportive, but I will defo be back at Croft it was canny craic and hopefully hold on to the main group for a little longer :wink:
    Its intresting that I've raced the track in the opposite direction many times on a motorbike and while I had realised it was a bit bumpy I have no idea how bad it was until I cycled it :shock:
    Hope to see you in Richmond :lol: