MBR or TARW

sparrowlegs78
sparrowlegs78 Posts: 2,583
edited May 2009 in Routes
Which is the better trail at Coed Y Brenin?
I have been but only got 3/4 of the way round Tarw as Hubby got sunstroke! so we had to cut down the fireroads.
We found Tarw had too much climbing for not much downhill rewards, is MBR the same?
I am desperate to crack Coed Y Brenin this year after last year :oops:
Caz xxxx

Comments

• Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Perhaps I shouldn't comment as I haven't yet ridden the Tarw. However, the general consensus around these parts is that the MBR is more fast and flowing while the Tarw is more rocky and technical (the MBR is still pretty rocky and technical in places though.)

However there is a new trail called 'Cyflym Coch' which is basically a compilation of the faster flowy bits of the MBR and Dragons Back trails. The first section is a little technical but after that it's big smiles all round. :D Its only about 10km so you could try this first before moving on to the MBR.

Have you ridden the trails near Betws Y Coed - The Marin and Penmachno?

Stu
  • sparrowlegs78
    Only ridden Llandegla ( love the place ) and Tarw in Wales, we are going on Hols to Aberystwyth( sp) in July so we have planned to do Nant Yr Arian Pendam and possibly mach 2 ...and i want to go back to Coed Y Brenin, but understandibly hubby isn't keen now :lol:
    Would you recommend the Marin then?
    Caz xxx
  • I much prefer MBR - it has more flow in my humble opinion. I find Tarw too disjointed, with too much fireroad. Cyflym Coch and Temtiwr are much more fun - short, but damned fun - greatest hits packages if you will...
    Old hockey players never die - they just smell that way...
  • Stu 74
    Stu 74 Posts: 463
    Again I have not ridden it (too much to ride around here and not enough time :D ) but if you are planning on going to Machynlleth, the Climach X is apparently the one to ride!

The Marin and Penmachno are both most definitely worth a visit. Personally I think that Penmachno is the best trail in North Wales but some people aren't so keen on it :? I would say that neither are as technical as the MBR at CYB but they are certainly more technical than Llandegla.

Stu
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    Both very good but MBR by far imo. It's the best trail there and I've done them all.
  • sparrowlegs78
    Hmmm we are going for a week...how many trails can i fit in?...i'd cycle everyday if i could :oops:
    Caz xxxx
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    edited May 2009
    You might struggle to do every day but you will easy fit them all in in a week and I'm sure you will love it. You will probably have time to try a few other places near by like Llandegla. A lady that works at Coed y Brenin highly recommended going there. I will get there sometime this year I hope.

Enjoy, I'm jealous :wink:

Just noticed you've been to Llandegla so maybe try some of the other recommendations. Or you could go up Snowden or something a bit wilder?
  • sparrowlegs78
    I can wholeheartedly reccomend Llandegla.........been about 5 times now in a year of mountain biking lol
    Caz xxx
  • gbrnole
    gbrnole Posts: 395
    Mbr trail rocks, gotta love the pink heffer section!!! The Tarw trail or red bull trail when i last rode didnt have a lot of payback and i didnt rate it. Climachx trail is fun, great descent but just a little sketchy in places to go balls out thrashing it like you can on Afans Wall descent.

I ride trails and dont rate them then ride them again and think the opposite?!
    Ibis Mojo SL-r
  • REMF
    REMF Posts: 106
    only done the MBR.