I'm in a bit of a quandry

Frank the tank
Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm going to purchase a bike through the c2w scheme. The thing is I'm not sure what sort of bike I want.

My commute is only a mile each way but I would use it for other cycling. Part of me is saying cycloX bike (all can do jobbie) but I like the idea of a fixie because of its simplicity and they're a very good training tool (so I'm lead to believe). Thing that puts me off most is I've never riden fixed and also it's not such a versatile bike.

Any opinions any one. :?
Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Most fixed bikes can also be run as a singlespeed too, with a SRAM hub or somesuch.
    That sort of commute would be perfect for practicing fixed on but you won't get much training done in 2 miles!

I'd get a winter/training bike which is MGC personally...
  • Frank the tank
    I do own a range of bikes but I don't have a crosser or a fixie so that's why I've narrowed it down to a choice between the two types. Thing is it's doing my head in. :roll:
    Tail end Charlie

• APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    Get the crosser! More versatile as you can put a rear rack on (many of them anyway), plus you'll save more with the C2W than a cheaper fixie (my wife taught me that logic, it's not what you spend, it's what you save) :wink:
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    If you have lots of steep hills to ride down the fixie might be a hinderance. I own a 'cross and love it.
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    My commute is only a mile each way but I would use it for other cycling.
    What other cycling, what sort of distances, how fast & how often?
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    If the commute is only 1 mile each way how about a full sus MTB? A short commute won't be that affected by the rolling resistance of 'the blob' but it is a different enough bike for much fun to be had!
  • Frank the tank
    FSR_XC wrote:
    My commute is only a mile each way but I would use it for other cycling.
    What other cycling, what sort of distances, how fast & how often?

IF i purchased the fixed, there are some reasonably flat roads 'round here that I could ride on. On my road bikes I usually do rides of 30-40miles regular with a couple of longer rides at the weekend upto and over 100miles. I think I'm just a bit weary of riding fixed 'cos it's something I've never done.

Obviously the crosser is an all can doer and I could ride the odd cross (which I've not done for a few years) but there is more maintenance than with the fixed/single speed, which is part of the appeal also.
    Tail end Charlie