Devils Staircase

fto-si
fto-si Posts: 402
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
Can someone help me with the exact location of the Devils Staircase in Wales?

I know the rough area but I am looking to find out the road it is on so I can incorporate it into a route.

Thanks in advance
exercise.png

Comments

• Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    I went up this on foot last year. I'll have a look and see if I can work out where it is.
  • avoidingmyphd
    avoidingmyphd Posts: 1,154
    http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?co ... ainID=7538

there's a google maps link at the side.
  • fto-si
    fto-si Posts: 402
    exercise.png
  • I did the devil's staircase many years ago whilst cycling round wales. It was a fab ride from brecon over the ranges before swoop down in to the valley and heading off to beulah and the turning off to abergwesyn and the staircase. It's a special place and very peaceful between the seemingly vertical walls of Tarmac! One thing I'd suggest is going there on a weekday and definitely avoid bank holidays. Otherwise you might get stuck behind sunday drivers burning out their clutches as they fail to do hillstarts!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    And I was thinking of doing a tour to include the staircase and Llyn Brianne this coming Bank holiday from Builth Wells to Aberystwyth and then up to Llangollen via Lake Vyrnwy and Lake Bala.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • trickeyja
    trickeyja Posts: 202
    I'm hoping to include the staircase as well, en-route to Pembrokeshire, during the Bank Holiday week.
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    You must be aware that the Staircase is only one of the climbs on the mountain road from Abergwesyn to Tregaron, albeit the hardest. There are two others nearly as difficult.

I first came across it on the way to Dolgoch YH one Easter, Our tandem was laden with clothes and food for an Easter tour but no lights as the leader had assured us they wouldn't be needed. So we found ourselves in the dark, with falling snow pushing up the steepest section cursing our 'friend' :lol:

I've ridden it solo a couple of times on the Elenith 300 audax. I walked it again the last time because a) it was as quick as riding and b) I ended up off my bike for 3 weeks with knee injury the year I rode up.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster