Do I need a new chainset ?

trashcanman
trashcanman Posts: 56
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
I've just dropped off my bike at my LBS for a service, its a Specialized Roubaix expert 07 which has done just over 2000 miles. Its had 3 chains in this time and is still on its original rear cassette.
The lad in the shop says it needs a new chain, which I expected and a new cassette which I also expected. What I didn't expect was to be told it also would need a new chainset !!, this surprised me and at approx £200 was also a cost which I don't want to pay if not really neccessary.
Anyone out there with an opinion on whether this is about right or should a double chainset be good for a time yet ? any opinions gratefully received.

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    it might need a new ring(s) but surely the cranks are still okay.

Replacement aftermarket rings (TA, Stronglight, FSA etc.) can be had for £20-30 each, depending on make/quality. Even cheaper on ebay.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • trashcanman
    trashcanman Posts: 56
    Sorry I didn't explain myself very well, the cranks are fine its just the rings they want to replace but I've been quoted approx £100 a ring !!
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    :O
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Sorry I didn't explain myself very well, the cranks are fine its just the rings they want to replace but I've been quoted approx £100 a ring !!

Ouch! :shock:

Here are some ever so slighty cheaper alternatives.

£36 for a 105 cassette & less than £20 for a nice KMC chain and you are sorted for well under £100.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • Vegeeta
    Vegeeta Posts: 6,411
    What cranks are they?

You could just get after market rimgs for most cranks but if they're like on my XTR's then Shimano rings are the only ones that fit PROPERLY and but up against the back of the chainstay tabs.
    Rule 64:

Cornering confidence generally increases with time and experience. This pattern continues until it falls sharply and suddenly.

http://www.velominati.com/blog/the-rules/
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    I've done ten times that mileage on chainrings and they've been fine. If the chain isn't slipping I would ignore that advice and find another LBS.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Can you post a pic of your chainrings on here ? ALL of my bikes have done far more than 2000 miles easily and absolutely no need for replacements yet.

I suspect the bike shop is taking the pee - and I'd never trust them again - but lets see the pic..