Giro Stage 6 *spoiler*

DaveyL
DaveyL Posts: 5,167
edited May 2009 in Pro race
No thread yet?

50 km to go. According to cn.com it's

* Vasili Kiryenka (Caisse d'Epargne), Michele Scarponi (Diquigiovanni)
* Guillame Bonnafond (AG2R La Mondiale), Oscar Gatto (ISD) and Kasper Klostergaard (Saxo Bank) at 0.18
* Peloton at 4.40

I just wanted to start a thread because Scarponi is in the break. Do you think his mother is called Ma Scarponi?
Le Blaireau (1)

Comments

• iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Groan.

:D

I like they way the CN people keep calling him by his Puerto nickname
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Thought Garzo would leave it a few days before doing this*, but maybe he's thinking today's profile is better suited.

Pity the descent looks so shallow a gradient -- he'll have to keep working hard on the downhill whereas the chasers in the peloton will get a mostly easy ride behind the gregarios on the front.

(*Garzelli attacking to catch the breakaway riders).
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Davis and Petacchi made it over the climb.
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    Lots of corners in the finale -- who's a good criterium rider? Is Horner still in there?
  • Doobz
    Doobz Posts: 2,800
    gotta love Velonews Coverage
    4:25 CPelkey: Man, it's going to be a complete clusterf... errr.. .... uhhh melee .... if the peloton comes charging in on those narrow roads.
    cartoon.jpg
  • afx237vi
    Was that Armstrong in the grupetto?

Edit: Yep.
  • afx237vi
    Winners of stages 2, 3, 4 and 6... what do they have in common?
  • DaveyL
    DaveyL Posts: 5,167
    They're Italian? ;-)
    Le Blaireau (1)
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    afx237vi wrote:
    Was that Armstrong in the grupetto?

Edit: Yep.

1:19 down on a medium stage. Dropped by Petacchi
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • timoid.
    afx237vi wrote:

They don't visit Austria often?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • afx237vi
    DaveyL wrote:
    They're Italian? ;-)

Spot on :lol:
  • afx237vi
    Timoid. wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

They don't visit Austria often?

Whereas the winner of stage 5...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    afx237vi wrote:

Hello Comrade Afx. What size of shoe do you take? I need to order your concrete boots.

PS - There was nothing in Austria.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Further evidence of the genius of Gianni Savio. I'm just gonna pick who he picks from now on.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • timoid.
    Further evidence of the genius of Gianni Savio. I'm just gonna pick who he picks from now on.

Its probably further evidence of Gianni Savio's quality gear. And by that I don't mean his sharp suits...
  • Moomaloid
    Moomaloid Posts: 2,040
    Wicked!! BH pulled it out for my PTP in the sprint :lol:
  • camerone
    camerone Posts: 1,232
    afx237vi wrote:

we are led to believe they are ex PED takers.
    fecking joke this race. if they were this good clean why did they bother in the first place.... :roll:
  • afx237vi
    iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Hello Comrade Afx. What size of shoe do you take? I need to order your concrete boots.

PS - There was nothing in Austria.

Concrete boots, very Italian. I would have thought a little vacation to a salt mine would be more appropriate for a Siberian.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    I stuck an educated pin in today's startlist for my pick and came up with one, Vasili Kiriyenko.
    Needless to say, I was a bit miffed with the last 20kms.

Like the humour, here today. Maybe it's to lighten the race.

PVC to become this years CSF, I see. :wink:
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    BBC on the case.

Picture of Scarponi in a Liberty-Wurth jersey...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_s ... 050634.stm
  • takethehighroad
    takethehighroad Posts: 6,812
    All around a good stage for me. Points for 4th place on PTP, and I've got a bet on Allan davis for the Points jersey
  • markwalker
    markwalker Posts: 953
    seems like someone needs to be on the juice.

Its all so fast these days not like the good old days. Did i tell you i won the tour de france 7 times?

"Not sure that's necessary really. Tomorrow is the same kind of finish. It's bike racing, not moto gp..2 armstrong on twatter
  • camerone
    markwalker wrote:

Its all so fast these days not like the good old days. Did i tell you i won the tour de france 7 times?

"Not sure that's necessary really. Tomorrow is the same kind of finish. It's bike racing, not moto gp..2 armstrong on twatter

if its twatter and given your clear dislike why bother looking at it?
  • markwalker
    camerone wrote:
    markwalker wrote:

if its twatter and given your clear dislike why bother looking at it?

Carambar its interesting because its a comment by armstrong about how he doesnt like fast finishes which is hardly surprising since hes not on the pace in this race. thats why.

Given your clear dislike for my comment why bother responding to it?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Levi's twitter:

We had a fast downhill in the middle of the stage and we were comparing top speeds, heard JJ Haedo hit 117kph!! That's 72.7mph to be exact.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • markwalker
    Levi's twitter:

We had a fast downhill in the middle of the stage and we were comparing top speeds, heard JJ Haedo hit 117kph!! That's 72.7mph to be exact.

awsome. imagine doing a Beloki at that speed
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    watching on laptop, the narrow road and sharp corners looked very dangerous today given the size of the peloton.....during the last 10 km...am now reading the riders were not happy either...also...72.7mph on a bike...have you ever heard of a stage race with descents that fast?
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Putting that speed into perspective, they would be breaking the speed limit on our motorways!!

LA's twitter:

At one point today we reached 110kph. That's almost 70 mph. CRAZY!
    Contador is the Greatest
  • camerone
    markwalker wrote:
    camerone wrote:
    markwalker wrote:

whats Carambar.........
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I remember the Giro from the 1990s and Armand de la Cuevas hit 124km/h downhill, he was on normal 32 spoke wheels, so on deeper section carbon wheels he would easily have gone north of 130km/h.

It's actually madness, one mistake and a rider risks death. The stopping distances at these speeds are huge and it's very easy to lock a wheel or bounce into the air just from a piece of gravel. I've done >100km/h racing and frankly chickened out, preferring to let a few riders come past on a descent than to risk meeting the inside of a tunnel wall.