Watching the Tour in the Mountains

sjeffer
sjeffer Posts: 47
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
I am planning a trip to watch the Tour stage on the Tourmalet (stage 9)- does anyone have any useful advice on the practicalities of watching a mountain stage? I.e. how early do you need to be there before the race passes to get a decent spot? Also how long do they close the road for?
My current plan is to cycle from Lourdes to the summit of the Tourmalet - would the roads be open to allow me to do this?
'I am an optimist. It does not seem to be much use being anything else.' - Sir Winston Churchill.

Comments

• shawman
    shawman Posts: 76
    For cars the road may be closed the day before. On a bike you should still be able to cycle up to about 2 hours before the race. There will be people up on the Tourmalet camped out for a week before the race. Aim to be at you chosen location for midday at the latest. I think the stage should summit the col at 15:30-16:00. From Lourdes it is about 48km to the summit. Take the Voie Vert (Green Way) to Pierffitte and you will then have 29km uphill to the summit.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source= ... 97382&z=11

I'll be staying in St Savin about 30km from the summit.
    www.velopeloton.com
  • sjeffer
    Thanks Shawman, this info will be invaluable.
    'I am an optimist. It does not seem to be much use being anything else.' - Sir Winston Churchill.
  • sjeffer
    Shawman - Thanks also for the ttip about St Savin, we're booked in there. If you're around I'll buy you a drink as a token of our appreciation..
  • Some thoughts from my side

I'd agree with shawman. They normally close the road three or four hours before the race - if you're cycling, make sure you are well in advance of the caravan as the gendarmes are quite strict that you shouldn't cycle at this time. You can normally see the timing on the tour de france website to see when the caravan is expected to pass through. I've found in the past, if you get told to stop, get off and walk until you're out of shouting distance of the gendarme and you can then cycle a bit further.

Make sure you take warm clothes. As soon as the cloud comes down, you can chill quite quickly.

Take food and drink - if it's a roasting day out there, you may need it.

Remember your camera, and put your keys in a safe place. One of my friends happened to lose his hire car keys on Alpe d'Huez a few years ago. Everything was locked in the car except for 20 euro, and it cost him a few hundred euro to get a new one driven down from Switzerland the next day

Hope that helps, have a great time.

Russell
    www.grenoblecycling.com
  • geoff_ss
    geoff_ss Posts: 1,201
    We've watched the Tour in the both the Alps and the Pyrenees but always ridden up in the direction of the route. It isn't too much of a problem if you're well ahead of the publicity caravan and even if you're stopped earlier than you'd like you are, at least, on a part of the climb.

As others have said just make sure you've got adequate clothing in case the cloud comes down and plenty of food and drink. It's a great experience you'll enjoy it, I'm sure.

Geoff
    Old cyclists never die; they just fit smaller chainrings ... and pedal faster
  • sjeffer
    Many thanks for the advice, I'll make sure I pack something warm.