why are Eurosport schedules so shit ?

northernneil
northernneil Posts: 1,549
edited May 2009 in Pro race
sky plused yesterdays highlights show at 10:20pm as I missed the stage - sat down this morning ready to watch it - first half hour was sailing.

finally the cycling starts,

wiggo is doing great, lance is cracking - all good stuff

then

END OF PROGRAMME

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

eurosport seems to have schedules looser than Boonens morales after a few pints

Comments

• calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    ALWAYS record whatever is on next. Easy with Sky/V +

Strava is not Zen.
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,440
    calvjones wrote:

Yeah but it was planet armstrong, what if someone looked on my schedule? 8)
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    prawny wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Yeah but it was planet armstrong, what if someone looked on my schedule? 8)

Good point. Better off missing the finale. Or indeed walking away from cycling altogether.

Strava is not Zen.
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    hehehe thanks for your helpful comments :-)
  • Le Commentateur
    Le Commentateur Posts: 4,099
    It was the girls playing tennis earlier who messed it up.
  • if you go online and are a subsriber to the Eurosport player you can watch back all their programmes so far - without the commentary though and you can fast forward through the mundane bits.
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    I could be wrong, but have our collective eurosport prayers been answered? This afternoons giro coverage was delayed by the touring cars, but I noticed that the schedules updated twice, moving it from 3.45 to 4.15, then 4.20 :o I'm cautiously optimistic :D
  • dave milne
    dave milne Posts: 703
    because they're a 2 bit channel run on a shoestring.

as for the collective eurosport prayers that managed to completely balls up my sky + so I missed it yesterday
  • dave milne
    thank you eurosport, thanks to your rescheduling my sky + failed again. you bunch of ****ing idiots
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    So it wasn't just me. :cry:

Manual Recording tomorrow.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    It's a live TV sports channel, of course there are going to be scheduling changes when previous events overrun. I always tape for a specified time before and after the scheduled length of the programme.
  • scwxx77
    scwxx77 Posts: 1,469
    Yes but how hard can it be to programme something into the software which connects recordings and schedule changes? It's not rocket science.
    Winner: PTP Vuelta 2007 :wink:
  • dave milne
    scwxx77 wrote:
    Yes but how hard can it be to programme something into the software which connects recordings and schedule changes? It's not rocket science.

exactly. I accept when broadcasting live sport it's hard to keep to a tight schedule and I accept that they don't have the budget Sky do so they don't have 4 channels and the ability to build in very fat schedules to cover all of this. But ffs is it really that hard to achieve a solution which doesn't ruin it for everyone trying to record it?
  • Steve Tcp
    Steve Tcp Posts: 7,350
    dave milne wrote:
    scwxx77 wrote:

exactly. I accept when broadcasting live sport it's hard to keep to a tight schedule and I accept that they don't have the budget Sky do so they don't have 4 channels and the ability to build in very fat schedules to cover all of this. But ffs is it really that hard to achieve a solution which doesn't ruin it for everyone trying to record it?

I'm with you Dave. I checked the schedule before I left for work at 7.45 thia morning and still got home to find the programme alteration had meant that nothing had recorded (except Eurogoals that followed). Why have they started re-scheduling the programmes this year, why not just let them overrun so that people using Sky+ don't have this? It's really starting to grate with me now.
    Take care,

Steve.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Things are scheduled to get a whole lot worse.
    The Giro is mostly shoved onto ES 2 for all but one stage of it's third week and is being cut, so that the schedules for some of the main stages, (Monte Petrano and Versuvius, for instance) don't start until 3pm.
    If that had been the case today, it would have meant 30 minutes, less ad breaks. :(
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Steve Tcp wrote:
    dave milne wrote:
    scwxx77 wrote:

I'm with you Dave. I checked the schedule before I left for work at 7.45 thia morning and still got home to find the programme alteration had meant that nothing had recorded (except Eurogoals that followed). Why have they started re-scheduling the programmes this year, why not just let them overrun so that people using Sky+ don't have this? It's really starting to grate with me now.

Best way to maybe avoid this via Sky Plus is do a manual recording of Eurosport 1 from say 14.00 to 18.00 and set it for every day (and change it when its on eurosport 2)and that should cover programme changes etc. Of course if they dont show it at all then it wont make any odds.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • volvine
    volvine Posts: 409
    i'm the same lost 2 stages so far as nothing has recorded bloody anoying for sure
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Best way to maybe avoid this via Sky Plus is do a manual recording of Eurosport 1 from say 14.00 to 18.00 and set it for every day (and change it when its on eurosport 2)and that should cover programme changes etc.
    When you say "manual", do you mean video tape - I think we've got one of those things gathering dust under the TV still, not sure if it still works though :?
    Or is there a way to program a set time recording into Sky+?

The other thing to remember is that Sky+ boxes switch themselves off overnight in order to save the planet, so you have to switch it back on in the morning before you leave for work so you don't end up taping 6 hours of static :x
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    Bronzie wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    The other thing to remember is that Sky+ boxes switch themselves off overnight in order to save the planet, so you have to switch it back on in the morning before you leave for work so you don't end up taping 6 hours of static :x

A Sky box will record while in standby mode. Unless it's something on Eurosport that you've set it for, of course!
  • Quite Frankly
    Quite Frankly Posts: 386
    Things are scheduled to get a whole lot worse.
    The Giro is mostly shoved onto ES 2 for all but one stage of it's third week and is being cut, so that the schedules for some of the main stages, (Monte Petrano and Versuvius, for instance) don't start until 3pm.
    If that had been the case today, it would have meant 30 minutes, less ad breaks. :(

Yup, internet streaming it is then for the third week.

Presumably RAI Sport will continue to start their live coverage at 1.45pm GMT?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Bronzie wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Best way to maybe avoid this via Sky Plus is do a manual recording of Eurosport 1 from say 14.00 to 18.00 and set it for every day (and change it when its on eurosport 2)and that should cover programme changes etc.
    When you say "manual", do you mean video tape - I think we've got one of those things gathering dust under the TV still, not sure if it still works though :?

On your Sky+ remote press Services then Manual recording and set the programme number say 410 and set the time 2pm-6pm and then set for every day and it will record every day from 2-6 on that channel whatever is on it. Ok so you may have to fast forward to find it but it will record irrespective of programme changes.You can set as many manuals as you wish but obviously it will only record two channels at the same time so you could do eurosport 1 and 2 to cover any eventualities.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    stfc1 wrote:
    A Sky box will record while in standby mode. Unless it's something on Eurosport that you've set it for, of course!
    Yes I know - I was thinking of using the video recorder but I see Mr Gub has now posted details of manual recording with Sky+ - thanks MG!
  • dave milne
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

On your Sky+ remote press Services then Manual recording and set the programme number say 410 and set the time 2pm-6pm and then set for every day and it will record every day from 2-6 on that channel whatever is on it. Ok so you may have to fast forward to find it but it will record irrespective of programme changes.You can set as many manuals as you wish but obviously it will only record two channels at the same time so you could do eurosport 1 and 2 to cover any eventualities.

I have to admit I didn't know I could do that :oops:

Cheers :D
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    Bronzie wrote:
    stfc1 wrote:
    Yes I know - I was thinking of using the video recorder but I see Mr Gub has now posted details of manual recording with Sky+ - thanks MG!

Sorry, that was me being thick. Not an uncommon occurrence. Top tip indeed from Mr Gub, I add my thanks.
  • Steve Tcp
    Steve Tcp Posts: 7,350
    Moray Gub wrote:
    Bronzie wrote:
    Moray Gub wrote:

Top tip MG, will give that a go. Thanks very much.
    Take care,

Steve.
  • Gary Marshall
    Gary Marshall Posts: 196
    yes good tip, it's a pain taping 3 programmes a day - especially when they cut the one you want.