ceramic rims - only Open Pros ?

maddog 2
maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
recently had a set of wheels built using Ambrosio Excellights, having previously had a set of ceramic OPs.

Well ....the braking is nowhere near as good - less powerful and, more importantly, less consistent on long downhills. So I'm going back to the OPs but they only (seem to be) available in 32h and 36h, whereas I'd prefer 28 to build a slightly lighter wheel.

Anyway... does anyone else do ceramic 700c rims ?

I've not seem any but I thought I'd ask.
Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer

Comments

• mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Think Mavic may have the exclusive on this. Give Hewitt Cycles a call. if there is an alternative, they will know about it
    M.Rushton
  • Does 8 spokes in total really matter? it's not a noticable amount of weight tbh, plus it's a stronger wheel.
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Does 8 spokes in total really matter? it's not a noticable amount of weight tbh, plus it's a stronger wheel.

+1

Dennis Noward
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    yep 32h are fine, but in an ideal world I'd prefer 28, that's all.

it just seems strange that Mavic do 28h in standard OPs but not in ceramics.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    I was going through the Mavic catalogue at the LBS a while back looking at the OPs and it seems they are stopping the 28h on the others too as his new catalogue didnt list them for other materials either.

Isnt there less drag on the 28? I can see why they'd be used if thats the case.
  • Steve928
    Steve928 Posts: 314
    Rigida do rims with what they call 'CSS' brake tracks, where CSS= 'Carbon super sonic' = tungsten carbide particles fired at and embedded in the rim.

Bought a pair of CSS Rigida Grizzlies recently for the tandem and am very impressed. You use ceramic brake blocks and the 'coating' seems more robust than ceramic. Cost about the same as ceramic.

However, I've no idea whether they do lightweight CSS rims or just the heavy touring ones.