Sore bits

stevepj
stevepj Posts: 38
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I've been riding twice a week for about 4 months and to put it bluntly......it bloody hurts!! It's getting to the point where within about 5 minutes of the ride i'm in agony and really feel like giving up.

When i go out i wear a pair of padded shorts (bought cheap from Tesco's) with something under them and a pair of baggys on top, i also have 2 gel pads on top of my existing saddle.

Can somebody give advice on a new (comfy) saddle and the best sort of garments to wear, i really don't want to stop but it's hurting!!

Cheers
Why are all the parts i've upgraded on my bike, now standard on the latest model!!

Comments

• Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    Oh man, seat ache sucks.

Seats are so personal that you really need to try some out. I went through about 5 (based on recommendations) until I found one I liked.

It'd be worth investing in better shorts, too, but the seat will make all the difference in the world. Don't worry, you'll find the right one.

Some shops can measure you for a seat. Ask at your LBS.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • mrdales
    mrdales Posts: 23
    Firstly I'd suggest not wearing anything under your cycle shorts and maybe invest in a slightly better quality pair.

Secondly check your set up - seat height and angle etc.

What kind of riding are you doing?
    Scott Genius MC30
    Orange Crush
    Giant SCR1.5
    A worn out Cannondale Super V500 for the shops
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    edited May 2009
    Lose the gel pads and underwear - a lightly padded saddle with springy rails will be much more comfortable. The Charge Spoon is only £20 and works for a lot people. The Ti version is £35.
  • mrdales
    +1 for the charge spoon. I've got one and its a bargain.
    Scott Genius MC30
    Orange Crush
    Giant SCR1.5
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I'll second that, get rid of the gel pads, lose the underwear :shock: and get some half decent padded shorts, like the dhb ones from wiggle.

Also, might sound obvious and you may well be doing it already, but try to anticipate bumps and lift off the saddle as you go over them, stops your backside "taking a pounding" for want of a better phrase!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • stevepj
    Hi

Thanks for the great advice, i'll be taking it all onboard in the hope it makes my next ride better!!

mrdales - I'm riding off road through woods etc, guess that's XC and/or Singletrack.
    Why are all the parts i've upgraded on my bike, now standard on the latest model!!
  • mrdales
    Then something like the charge spoon as suggetsed above should be ideal.

Hope I'm not teaching egg sucking but most probably find a completely level saddle a good starting point. With the pedal at the bottom of the stroke in line with the seat tube and your heel on the pedal your leg should be straight. Then with the ball of your foot on the pedal your knee should be slightly bent. That's a general rule of thumb (or bum :? ) Apologies if you knew all that already!!
    Scott Genius MC30
    Orange Crush
    Giant SCR1.5
  • stevepj
    I appreciate all advice so don't worry about the egg sucking.

I'd say my bike is set up the way you have suggested but i shall double check, some people suggest tilting the saddle down slightly, would you go along with that?

I don't suppose it helps being a lardy arse either!!
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Gels & pads etc are not really the answer in many cases. Saddle comfort is about the size, shape, height, and angle of your saddle, as well as how often you find yourself smashing into it on a ride! Some people can be comfy on just about anything but others are only comfortable on a narrow range of saddle fits.

It might be about angles so that's worth a try, but you might also simply need a new saddle. Get down your LBS and have a chat about the problem.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • mrdales
    personal preference really. Personally I like mine to be level off road and on but as we're all different it comes down to what's right for you. Think it's worth starting like that and then moving it thru a few degrees until it's right. Might be worth checking it's front to rear adjustment as being too close or too far from the bars can exert more pressure on either your sit bones or perenial nerve. Theres a lot of debate over the knee over the pedal spindle thing but it's generally about right I think. It can take quite a few rides to get whats right for you so don't give up!!
    Scott Genius MC30
    Orange Crush
    Giant SCR1.5
  • stevepj
    I've ordered the new saddle (as recommended) and i've ordered some new shorts (again as recommended), i'll have a play around with the saddle height and the front rear adjustment and see what happens.

i'm determined to keep going as i'm enjoying it so much........apart from the pain!!

Thanks for all your help.
  • robmanic1
    robmanic1 Posts: 2,150
    +1 for above, less is more with saddles.

You could try some butt-grease like this;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Assos_Chamois_Cream/5360031286/

Will prevent chafing and incorporated hair-stretch (works for me anyway).
    Pictures are better than words because some words are big and hard to understand.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/34335188@N07/3336802663/
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Maybe have a week off riding too, just to make sure you're 'recovered' before starting your new comfortable biking life!
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • SiLanc
    SiLanc Posts: 180
    StevePj...looks like I'm a little late to mention it but you can get most decent bike shops to measure you for a new saddle. This ensures that your sit bones are actually sat on the saddle, if they're not then you get no support and your sit bones sit wider than the saddle and then rather than the sit bones taking the weight of your upper body, your delicate bits then take full load...not good and very uncomfortable.

Hope the new seat works out for you.
    Lap by lap analysis, videos, photos, race reports and a map of race locations www.xcenduro.co.uk
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Definitely don't wear anything under padded shorts - you'll get all sorts of nasty things happening then :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    sarah75 wrote:
    Definitely don't wear anything under padded shorts - you'll get all sorts of nasty things happening then :shock:

+1 (You speaking from personal experience sarah75? :lol: )

*Ahem*, anyway... As someone suggested, invest in some decent chamis (spelling??) cream. The Assos stuff is literally, some of the best you can buy. Also, again, decent cycle shorts. I quite like the Gore shorts. Got some baggies, that came with a removable pair of lycra padded things too - SUCH a wise investment!

If your new saddle doesn't work out, visit a bike shop (the Specialized shops certainly have this), and sit on a ass-bone-measuring-gel-paddy-thingy (technical!!), and you'll get the ideal width for your saddle. I happen to really like the Specialized 'Body Geometry' range. Also, the Fizik saddles.

But it is totally personal.

Hope it works out for you buddy!!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    How would you describe the pain? Is it like chafed skin? Or more like the feeling when you sit still for too long in a chair, that dull throb?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • stevepj
    it's certainly the chaffing pain rather than throbbing, i have to stand up as much as possible to ease it!!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ouch! Well, in that case, all that advice about losing the pads is right ;) Soft seats actually cause more chafing by collapsing under you and wrapping around you, harder seats support you so you get much less rubbing. Strange but true. My old mtb seat on my first bike was comfier after I ripped all the padding off.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    try a SDG bel air saddle, i swear by them, althought the charge spoon is also very good
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Ditch Witch
    stevepj wrote:
    it's certainly the chaffing pain rather than throbbing, i have to stand up as much as possible to ease it!!

Ah, chafing. That's different. As said above, lose the extra layers, underwear and use a good "lube" *ahem* such as chamois cream or body glide.

Too many layers will make you sweat more, causing more chafing.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    chafing may indicate too high a saddle creating hip rock? as others have said, nothing under the padded shorts and try a bel air or spoon saddle. a good quality short may help, assos, gore etc and a dab of chamios cream on the chafing area might help too but try to let it heal well before riding any more. good luck :)
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    for cheapness try an e45 cream, basically anything that lessens friction between skin and chamois will do and dont be afraid to slap it on thick, i find its as good as the labled brands at usually a 1/4 of the price. if you start doing long rides of several hours then the more expensive brand will be better but for rides of a few hours you can save yourself a few bob by using it. as for shorts, never wear anything under them and wash after every ride. as for saddles, hmmmm its a very personal choice, what works for some may not work for you, i hated my bell air with a passion it was just the wrong shape for my arse if you get the chance have a ride on or a sit on a few of your mates bikes, even sitting on them will tell you if theyre comfortable. good luck.
    who cares?
  • rudedog
    rudedog Posts: 523
    is it reccomended to 'go commando' even if you are wearing shorts without a padded insert?
  • k2rider
    if theyve got a liner in then yes if not i would wear boxers as theyve got a bit of leg length so theres less chaffing possibilities around your under carriage.
    who cares?
  • Ditch Witch
    If you're a bloke, I guess, but I wear knickers in my bike shorts, but they're much thinner than y-fronts.
    I ride like a girl
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
  • kopite1979
    kopite1979 Posts: 443
    i think the only reason people recommend you don`t wear underwear is that cycling shorts are seamless, underwear has irritating seems. must admit, im obviously very lucky in that i`ve never experienced chaffing... ouch! :shock:
    It`s changed a bit since...
    2010 Zesty 314
  • stevepj
    I just thought i'd give you a quick update (if anybody's interested)

I took on everybody's kind advice and bought a new saddle, new undershorts some butt cream and took a week off, what a difference it all made except...............

After 15 minutes of pain free riding my new saddle came loose from it's housing and i had to stop to tighten it up (lucky i always ride with spare tools), back on the bike again but after about 10 minutes and general riding through woods it happened again. Again i tightened everything back up and away i went, after 30 minutes of riding and a 3rd stop i gave up and came home!!

I've taken everything apart again (and put it back together) but i'm worried it's going to happen again when i go out. Is buying a new stem (with new brackets) the answer or is there another way of stopping your saddle from moving about?

Sorry to be a pain.

Cheers
    Steve
  • k2rider
    what kind of saddle did you buy? does it have the same size (diameter) rails? as i think they can come in 7mm and 8mm it could be that the one youve bought has smaller rails and as such doesnt sit in the clamp correctly. try taking it to your lbs and see what they have to say.
    who cares?
  • stevepj
    I bought the Charge Spoon and to be honest i have/had no idea about rail sizes, my bike is a GT Agressor 3x (2008 model) and it had the standard GT saddle on.

My LBS is only open Mon - Fri (09:00 - 17:00) but luckerly i have a couple of days off next week, if the saddle moves about on Sunday when i'm next out then i'll go down and speak to them.