Thankfully I'm not getting paid to make this decision

handstand
handstand Posts: 2
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
Hello all. I'm a road newbie to be. I'm down to 3 bikes and am looking for someone to sway the vote. Colnago CXL, Centuar groupset; CX-1, Chorus groupset; Pinarello FP3, Dura-Ace (7800) groupset. Looking for balance of comfort and speed. No century rides in the near future, probably starting off at around 35 mile rides. I live in a very hilly area so a bike that can "help me' climb is an asset. Any thoughts..advice...before I self destruct. thanks.[/list]

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Cx-1, absolutely.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    CX1 and Chorus.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    If you're gonna do a lot of climbing how about an Orbea Orca with Ultegra from Epic
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    ^^^Get the Orca. It's a work of art :D
    But if your set on one of the others, i say the Colnago.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    As you are new to this - I wouldnt spend too much - maybe go cheaper and you'll get 90% of the performance for 30% of the price. That way - if you decide its not for you - you've only lost a bit of money rather than a grand or so ?

DA isnt any faster or comfier than 105 and I fear you may be heading into racing territory which may be a bit too extreme for you at the moment.

If its very hilly - you may want to think about a triple chainset or a compact - but that also depends on how you climb.

Have fun !
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Got to agree with Cougie. You don't need such an expensive bike and in my opinion you would be better off with something up to the £800 mark. You will pay over twice that for what you are after and that is a waste right now in your situation.

What a lot of people forget is that road riding takes its toll on your pride and joy and an 'off' can and sometimes does write your bike off . And if you can't apportion blame in an accident YOU will be paying to replace it.

I would advise getting something less flash,building up the miles and the stamina and then if you are still a keen after 6 months you could upgrade then. Ideally you need 2 bikes anyway. One for winter and one for 'best' .
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Most of us end up with 3 or 4 bikes anyway - so save the budget cos inevitably you will too.

One race bike.

One fixed wheel winter bike

One Mountain bike

One TT bike

er LOTS of other bits left over.... And enough wheels to provide for a small pro team....

A top of the range bike is great - but its not as good as two or three lesser 'different' bikes IMHO.