will in notice 128g wheel saving??

ukracer
ukracer Posts: 421
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
Like the idea of new wheels
I currently have cheap shimano wh560 wheels
i like the look of the fulcrum 3s and they get good reviews but they are only 128g lighter
As a relative new cyclist will i notice the difference ?
Please say yes and give me the push to upgrade

Comments

• IMO, no.

Chatting to a fellow club rider about this on Sunday. He has krysium SLs on one bike and Mavis Askiums (400g difference) on another and says he doesn't notice any difference. Reckons it's only going to tell if racing and you need to accelerate sharply.

On the other hand another rider has just bought himself some EA90SLX and reckons they feel 'faster' than his slightly heavier previous wheels.

Unless you've reached the peak of your fitness or your current wheels are made from girders, you're not going to see a difference.

Wait until your Fulcrums die and then upgrade. You'll need to spend £400 - £500 to get any worthwhile weight saving.
  • GavH
    GavH Posts: 933
    I've just shaved about 100g off each wheel with new tyres on my Bianchi and couldn't tell the difference (Vittoria Rubinos OFF - Conti GP4000S on). The Rubinos then went on my hack bike (a Carrera Virtuoso) and I was shocked to discover when I weighed them that the Innova 25c bombproof things on before weighed just over 500g EACH. So thats a saving there of over 200g per wheel. Still can't tell the difference!!
  • ukracer
    This is NOT what i want to hear!!!!!
    Somebody tell me they will change my life please
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    You will ride faster.

Behold the central dogma of cycling -
    New Shiny Kit = Increase in MPH. Fact.

Now whether that is anything to do with weight, functionality or placebo. It still applies.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Best performance enhancer I have used is new sunglasses - you'll be on the front all day riding like a train !
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    cougie wrote:
    Best performance enhancer I have used is new sunglasses - you'll be on the front all day riding like a train !

Do they have to be aero or just lightweight?

Dennis Noward
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    Neither, but red (or white if sunny),expensive and mirrored adds kph
    M.Rushton
  • guilliano
    guilliano Posts: 5,495
    A whole new bike would make you much faster than just new wheels!
  • Wheel aerodynamics makes way way more difference than weight.

http://www.biketechreview.com/archive/wheel_theory.htm

Key comment: "when evaluating wheel performance, wheel aerodynamics are the most important, distantly followed by wheel mass. Wheel inertia effects in all cases are so small that they are arguably insignificant."

Nice to see admissions here that people can't detect small weight differences though. Way too many cyclists (some gear reviewers among them) seem to be moonlighting from their jobs detecting peas in mattress factories.
    John Stevenson
  • ukracer
    How do these wheels fair in the aerodynamic department then?
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I fitted some Planet-X Model B wheels to my g/f's bike at the weekend (currently on offer at £99), with different tyres and tubes these saved over 420g per wheel over the standard ones on her Trek. She said they were like rockets (?) and her average speed increased by 1.5mph. The are a bit more aero and a lot lighter. Some of this may be peas under the mattress, or NapoleonD's shiny kit theory, but she was delighted with the difference. Nearly 1kg off the wheels should be detectable I reckon, 128g maybe not.
  • incog24
    incog24 Posts: 549
    I changed the standard CXP22 builds on my TCR Advanced 3 for shimano RS80s and I did feel the difference. They certainly accelerate easier and are better out of the saddle. They appear to carry speed a little better too. But, they are a fair bit lighter, probably stiffer, and hopefully more aero considering they have about half the spokes...

Not life changing differences, but I do enjoy riding them more than my old wheels. Maybe that's just as important at the end of the day?
    Racing for Fluid Fin Race Team in 2012 - www.fluidfin.co.uk