Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
edited May 2009 in Amateur race
Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports

Comments

• BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Great report, Jeff.

Maybe we'll have to think about the overshoes rule another year. We wanted to keep the roadman regs as simple as possible, so that there were just 3 checks - wheels, tribars and helmet.

I haven't looked back to check, but I suspect you have the record for the fastest time on a road bike. It was certainly very impressive indeed to come 7th without full aero kit. :D Oh yeah, but then again...................... you are a World Champ. :wink:

Ruth
  • Richie G
    Richie G Posts: 283
    Wow, a blog on a race i took part in! An enjoyable report, Jeff. I'm glad you gave Ankerdine it's own sub-heading! With 33 miles of racing already in your legs it's quite daunting to come round the corner and be faced by that. That's a hell of quick time on a road bike with a dodgy calf - i'm still dreaming of cracking 2 hours. I think Beacon Roads do a fantastic job, hoping i can get some more of my club mates away from their drag strips and onto a proper course next year! :roll:
    We wanted to keep the roadman regs as simple as possible, so that there were just 3 checks - wheels, tribars and helmet

It was suggested to me on the line that as i'd left my lights on the road bike i could probably be entered for a 'touring category'! :) Mind you, last year i had mudguards!

By the way Jeff, i see you're credited with one of the pictures. I wondered if you had a link to anymore?

Rich
  • Jeff Jones
    Jeff Jones Posts: 1,865
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    We wanted to keep the roadman regs as simple as possible, so that there were just 3 checks - wheels, tribars and helmet
    Somehow, I don't think the shoe covers made that much difference :wink: But I did like your simple rules for the roadman competition. It really helps to make the sport accessible to everyone. Ian Cammish is doing this with his old skool series too.

I'd be stoked if I had the record on a road bike! How long have you used that course for?
    Richie G wrote:
    It was suggested to me on the line that as i'd left my lights on the road bike i could probably be entered for a 'touring category'! :) Mind you, last year i had mudguards!

By the way Jeff, i see you're credited with one of the pictures. I wondered if you had a link to anymore?
    I'll have a dig around on my machine at work - I might have one. For action shots, have a look in one of the three galleries here: http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/beaconrcc

As for the dodgy calf, it was OK, although racing up steep hills probably wasn't the best thing for it. It's much better now I've rested and stretched it. Funnily enough I just read an interview with Mandy Jones (1982 road world champ) who had a similar but more serious tear. She won a national 25 with it still very painful. Again, not brilliant for the injury but you can overcome pain for short periods. Just shows that endurance cycling fitness is so much about the heart and lungs and the head, rather than the legs.

Hope you can crack 2hrs next year Rich. Train hard!
    Jeff Jones

Product manager, Sports
  • BeaconRuth
    BeaconRuth Posts: 2,086
    Jeff Jones wrote:
    BeaconRuth wrote:
    I'd be stoked if I had the record on a road bike! How long have you used that course for?
    We've been using that course for 20 or 30 years but we've only been running a 'Roadman Competition' since 2007. I can confirm that you are the fastest 'roadman' in those 3 years though........ so officially you are the 'Roadman' Record Holder. There - that's cheered you up on a wet Friday afternoon! :D

Ruth