Kloden and the Freiburg Clinic - "It's Official"

SpaceJunk
SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
edited May 2009 in Pro race
Freiburg report has found that Kloden did go to Freiburg Uni for a blood transfusion afterall.

I'm totally shocked!!

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/may09/may13news3

Actually I am surprised that there were only 3 riders involved in the scheme - although I don't think this is the end of he story.

Comments

• afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Shocking. How come we have never heard of this before? :roll:

Klodi's denying it. Surprise surprise.
  • and even worse he still didn't attack when the race was his for the taking
  • SpaceJunk
    Seriously, T-Mobile had already lost two riders before the start of the TdF due to doping allegations.

You'd think the last thing anyone would do is risk going to a clinic to be doped.

How did they think they could get away with it? With so much furore about doping at that year's TdF, the average Joe Bloggs would've noticed suspicious behaviour.

And of course, that is what the report found; independent witnesses saw the riders there.

How dumb are they? Or dare I ask, 'How dumb was the management of T-Mobile to think they could get away with it'?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Smart enough to get away with it until now at any rate... That's about 2 1/2 years.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Oh dear. I wonder if Bruyneel and Astana get blamed by Harmon for this one.
    Somehow, I think this won't be making his day, like poor little PVC.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I wonder if Bruyneel will be blogging about Quick-Step and Astana joining forces to sue the media for spreading the news?

Will they suspend Kloedi?
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    Kléber wrote:
    I wonder if Bruyneel will be blogging about Quick-Step and Astana joining forces to sue the media for spreading the news?

Will they suspend Kloedi?

If they don't act, will the Kazakh fed, against JB?
    What an irony that would be.
    I think Kloden is about to become even more unpaid than of late.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    There's a feature on this on cyclingnews today;

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id= ... port_may09
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    So what about other T Mobile riders at the time? If doping was systematic why are the likes of Evans, Rogers et al still lining up at races?
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • SpaceJunk
    Timoid. wrote:
    So what about other T Mobile riders at the time? If doping was systematic why are the likes of Evans, Rogers et al still lining up at races?

Very good question. Perhaps Bobbie S could explain his position with Mick Rogers.

But then again, Aldag's past transgressions have benefited Columbia, (according to Bob), maybe it's the same with Mick (I say this with my tongue firmly in cheek).

With regards to Evans, perhaps he didn't dope @ T-Mobile, and hence his non-selection at the TdF - he didn't meet the management's prerequisite for a grand tour spot. :wink:
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Maybe Evans was like Bartko, and didn't get on the program because he didn't fit in?
  • timoid.
    andyp wrote:
    Maybe Evans was like Bartko, and didn't get on the program because he didn't fit in?

I'd like to think so. But if he doesn't get with a programme why does Silence Lotto pick him. Or Mapei for that?

There are still quite a few T Mobile alumni with explaining to do.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    andyp wrote:
    Although he fitted in well enough to stay 2 years. There are always going to be question marks over any riders that were on the "dodgy" teams from a few years back - Vandevelde is another example.

The Telekom team rosters from a few years ago now looks like a dopers convention:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Te ... oad_riders

One thing occurred to me on reading the article is why did Ullrich & Sevilla go to Fuentes when they had their own in-house program? Maybe they didn't like the lumpy transfusions that Heinrich and Schmid were handing out? :shock:
  • timoid.
    Fuentes was more successful. He transformed the performances of the likes of Heras, Hamilton and Bartoli and maybe even Schleck.

Or Ullrich asked his old mate Riis where he should look for good gear. Just like the old days.