Finally decided - Marin Rocky Ridge

Mancunianfightingcat
Mancunianfightingcat Posts: 2,054
edited July 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Well, after much umming and ahhing, I finally bought a hard tail this morning!

30w3rwp.jpg

I don't want these bits so have saved a bit of weight!

Obligatory kitchen shot coming up

hvszo8.jpg

Outside

2j6ajbr.jpg

and the whole stable

23h2ia0.jpg

All the blurb I've seen suggests it should have Vanilla forks, but I've got Floats! I also got a good discount so I'm happy.
I'll be taking it for a blast this afternoon and will report back later!

Comments

• The Big Cheese
    The Big Cheese Posts: 8,651
    Fantastic bike - you won't be disappointed, the burlier big brother of the Indian Fire trail.... I test rode one - loved it!

Tell me, what did you make of the frame? Fantastic aren't they? Great craftmanship - one thing to be wary of though, if you are going to use a car rack with them - wrap the frame in something first on point of contact - the paint is/was delicate!

Welcome to Club Marin lol :lol:
  • Tim.s
    Tim.s Posts: 515
    Ah I was eyeing one of those this weekend, I fancy one to compliment my Wolf Ridge (and to use while its in the shop getting fixed all the time!)

Be interested to know how it is. I had a Rocky Ridge way back, about 1999.

Out of interest what size did you get and how tall are you??
    "Didn't hurt"
  • I thought I replied to this thread... must have forgotten :lol:

Enjoy the bike mate.... looks very nice indeed!

That frame is lush!
  • it's a medium which is 17", I'm 5'11". A large would probably be better for longer XC rides, but I've got this for messing around on so it's quite compact.
  • XxxBFGxxX
    XxxBFGxxX Posts: 1,355
    yer as said abouve welcome to club marin. they are lush bike.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Nice bike. Really like it.

Hope it rides as good as it looks!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Well, I didn't get out on it yesterday, with one thing and another, I ran out of time!

Busy tonight too.....Looks like Friday night will be my first go on it. Fingers crossed it won't be lobbing it down!
  • Tim.s
    Let us know, Ive got to take my Wolfy into the shop on saturday so might see if I can blag one for a test ride.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • why is there what looks like a crusty pair of y-fronts stuck to your firdge? :lol:
  • junglist_matty
    junglist_matty Posts: 1,731
    Do you mind me asking how much you paid for it? Looks like a really nice hardtail, I was going to buy something very similar to this, but ended up walking away spending nearly twice as much on a full suspension Kona Dawg Supreme lol! - Was after a light "do a bit of everything" bike.
  • bigbenj_08 wrote:
    why is there what looks like a crusty pair of y-fronts stuck to your firdge? :lol:

Dude, if your scruds look like that..........

It's actually a notepad!

I paid a grand for it (the bike not the notepad), RRP is £1125, but I've got Floats not Vanillas, which I think would be another £100? So, not a bad deal I think!
  • zerolight
    zerolight Posts: 155
    Nice. Makes me wish I'd followed my heart and gotten a hardcore hardtail instead of my sensible, I rarely ride off a kerb, XC hardtail. But I rarely ride off a kerb right enough so the extra weight and longer forks would have been overkill. Still, doesn't stop me wanting something just like that bike. Nice one mate.
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Cannondale Supersix Evo Disc
  • Well, first ride out tonight and I'm well pleased with my purchase.
    I took it on a local cheeky route, only about 7 miles long, but I didn't want to stray too far in case things needed adjusting, or fell off!
    The riding position is really comfy and it felt just right straight away. It certainly doesn't have the zip of my Maxlight but that's probably down to the heavy wheels and sticky tyres more than anything, but the big tyres do make it quite comfortable. But, it's really great fun when the trail points own and you can throw it into corners and over drops and the brakes are pretty damn effective too!

It did however throw me off on some wet roots, but I think talent was exceeded by ambition on this occasion!

A great bike for a grand, it's ideal for short blasts and trail centres when you don't need 5 inches of front and rear travel.
    I think I caught my Orange crying though when I put the Marin back in the garage with a big grin on my face!
  • Tim.s
    Looks like you got one at the right time chap, ive just been down Zero G with half a mind to smack one of these babies on a 0% deal and i'm told Marin are sold out of Rocky Ridge's for the YEAR! Shop had a medium in but no large left and none availible to order.
    "Didn't hurt"
  • k2rider
    k2rider Posts: 575
    mate of mines got one of those and he loves it...........good choice. although i dont think the weight saving ideas would have amounted to much :wink:
    who cares?
  • MeddlE
    MeddlE Posts: 322
    The bike I should have bought! Fantastic ride, good spec. Staff discount would have meant I paid £500 for it too. :cry:
  • AndyBike
    AndyBike Posts: 126
    Nice one mate, ive had mine 12 months and its great fun bit of a grunt at times but really hammers through rougher stuff.

I was wondering about your chosing a Med. we are the same Ht.

did you try a large isnt it a bit cramped, does it the med allow you to really chuck it about?
  • Medium suits me fine.

I didn't try a large, 'cos I only wanted a bike for messing about on for an hour or two.
    If I'm going for a longer ride, I'll take my Orange anyway.
    If I put the saddle all the way up for proper pedalling, there's still loads of post left in the frame and it doesn't look awkward at all.

I know what you mean about grunt though. The back wheel weighs as much as both wheels on my Orange!
  • krissboo
    krissboo Posts: 23
    Hello Mancunianfightingcat,

Not sure if your still viewing this thread, but I thought I'd add me 2 cents worth.
    I got one of these a few weeks ago, and oh my god is it a good piece of kit!!
    Got a good deal on it, with the Floats as well.
    I'm just under 6'0, but I went for a medium for the same reasons as you...this thing just encourages you to mess about. I do find myself riding a bit over my limit though. It's proper fast when the trail points down, and I've gone sailing over the bars where I've lost the front wheel a couple of times. Got to say the brakes are bloody good aren't they?

My mate has a large with a 50mm stem and it's totally changed the way the bike feels. Almost wishing I'd gone for a large too, if only cause the medium is a bit of a lardy when climbing!! But I'd trade that for chuck-ability anyday ;)
    Critical faff - the act of constantly stopping to adjust seat posts, brakes, skewers, bars, pedals, gears, clothing, bags, food, helmets, gloves.........Says it all really.
    (Thanks to mtbwales for that one)
  • The Hogester
    The Hogester Posts: 101
    Gorgeous bike! I love my new Marin :D
  • skullthaw
    skullthaw Posts: 321
    i love marins and grr being student can suck wish that i could afford one :( :evil:
    2 Broken fingers broken again... F@$%^£g hell that hurt!!!

92% of teenagers have turned to rap. If your one of the 8% that still listens to real music put this in your sig.
    METAL!!!!!