New bike advice please

chopperHarris
chopperHarris Posts: 119
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
Looking at a few different road bikes and cant find a great deal of info on any of the tem via the reviews on this site

Budget is up to £600, bike will be used mainly for commuting a 13 mile each way ride into london from Kent.

Bikes i am specifically looking at are
Specialized Allez (18 or 27 no idea which would be better)
Giant Defy 3
Boardman Comp

probably worth mentioning im a big fella at about 14.5 stone on a good day so need something that isnt gonna look to stupid with a fat bloke on top!

And am open to suggestions on anything else! :D

Thanks in advance
08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
09 Corratec S-light
10 Giant Defy 2

Comments

• juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    I was looking around that price range and came up with the same three (or Allez Sport, Defy 2.5). I don't think you can go wrong with any of them though one word of warning, you may have trouble getting hold of one as they are selling out.
  • haha i have a chopper (raleigh that is not the other type) and my sirname is harris. Also live i Kent which is quite freaky
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Focus Black Hills
    Raleigh Chopper
  • blu3cat
    blu3cat Posts: 1,016
    Specialized Allez (18 or 27 no idea which would be better)

depends on how hilly your ride is. On a triple (27 gear) you'll get a lower gearing allowing you to go up those big hills. If it's not that hilly you can probably survive with a compact or double chainset.
    "Bed is for sleepy people.
    Let's get a kebab and go to a disco."

FCN = 3 - 5
    Colnago World Cup 2
  • chopperHarris
    chopperHarris Posts: 119
    not that hilly at all really, route in is probably 75% flat

Am pretty much sold on the Allez after reading the reviews etc and having a look at one in evans in the docklands this morning.

Just got to take the plunge and go for it now!
    08 Felt Compulsion 2 SE
    09 Corratec S-light
    10 Giant Defy 2
  • juankerr
    juankerr Posts: 1,099
    haha i have a chopper (raleigh that is not the other type) and my sirname is harris. Also live i Kent which is quite freaky

K*nt?