Inspiration Needed!

Chokingfish
Chokingfish Posts: 19
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,

Looking for some inspriation/suggestions for the use of 3/4 weeks leave. Will no doubt be going alone so would prefer something not too far off the beaten track but preferably a bit further a field than Europe.

Of course this is going to be on a tight budget, but already have a bike and all the gear!!!

It will be September/October time .....

Cheers,
Kirsty

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    If you're happy with rough/gravel roads and you want something different and extremely challenging then how about sub-saharan Africa? Easier options include Uganda, Rwanda, Zambia and Namibia. If you want a proper challenge and you're not put off by the odd kid chucking stones at you then Ethiopia. With the exception of Ethiopia, touring in these countries can be pretty much entirely on asphalt if you want, though taking to the minor gravel roads makes for a much more interesting tour. Uganda, Rwanda and Ethiopia can even be done without a tent as cheap, local guest houses are easily found, but Zambia and Namibia do require tents and bush camping will be unavoidable.

A less daunting option may be Morocco. The Atlas mountains are stunning though and you could include a trip to the edge of the Sahara with 3/4 weeks. Cheap flights to Marakech from Manchester as well....
    More problems but still living....
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I would second Morocco in the Atlas mountains. I've never been there but it is on my list of places to go sometime.

How about Canada - The Rockies in British Columbia? If you have 3 - 4 weeks then it is perfectly do-able. In Autumn it would be very pretty.

Or alternatively cycle to Istanbul which should be easily do-able as well.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.