Rival a worthy upgrade to 105?

cframe
cframe Posts: 171
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
Just wondering if a Rival groupset is a worthwhile upgrade of 105's or if it would be better 'value' to upgrade to something like Record?

I've always kinda thought that (for example) upgrading from 105 to Ultegra wouldn't really be worth the extra expense for the difference in performance/quality/weight and it would be better to skip a level and jump to Dura Ace
How's that for a slice of fried gold?

Comments

• robbarker
    robbarker Posts: 1,367
    You won't get a significant performance improvement whatever you upgrade to. There's nothing wrong with 105, and provided it's not worn out your cheapest option is to stick with it.

If you want to go faster, then train more and if the money's burning a hole in your pocket, spend it on a training camp or some coaching.

If you want the toy/pose value of expensive components, then fill your boots. I use Ultegra these days, the Dura Ace I used in the past offering such a marginal improvement that it's really not worth the huge price hike. I've grown out of excessive bike bling-itis, but it did take a while..

The other thing to say is that clean, well maintained 105 will outperform minging, badly adjusted Dura Ace every time, so another option is to invest in a decent repair atsnd and some tools to keep what you already have running sweetly.
  • cframe
    cframe Posts: 171
    Cheers for the reply, I admit a fair chunk of the want to upgrade is just to get shiny new bits n pieces on the bike ;)

A decent stand is something I'm short of atm…
    How's that for a slice of fried gold?
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Well, its defintely lighter but also its a different system. I changed exactly what you are proposing, in my case cos I didn't like the 105 but didn't have experience of higher up Shimano than that. My 105 was very new so I sold it all and a bit of deal hunting on the Sram stuff meant I shelled out very little indeed.

I must admit I have since ridden Ultegra SL and would have to say i found it a lot sweeter shifting than 105 with a slicker lever feel IMO ...but that aside I have found Sram to be great, friends who have ridden mine who are Campag and Shimano devotees are really impressed too. I'm looking to build a new bike from a frame purchase soon and that means with a free choice I'll be going for Sram Force 2010 if its out in time or Sram Red if not.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Its a lot of money for very little benefit to be honest.

Better off putting towards a new bike unless it really is burning a hole in your pocket.

New bike clothes shades, shoes, helmet would all be a better buy than a marginally lighter groupset.
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Guy in my LBs said that a lot of his racing clients like 105 for its toughness and the fact its a bit quieter when changing so helping them when trying to get the jump.
    He said if a bike has got 105 from new its best to spend money on wheels and tyres than to waste it on groups. Weight wise he said you could still get a bike down to the UCI minimum if you had a light frame, wheels/tyres, finishing kit and still use 105.
  • eh
    eh Posts: 4,854
    If you want to spend cash on your bike wheels are the best place, forget mechs. I know someone who raced a season on a mainly Chorus equipped bike but with a Shimano Sora mechs and it didn't seem to stop him getting his 1st Cat license.