Commute on Expensive MTB - am I target for thieves?

2»

Comments

• wrighty43
    wrighty43 Posts: 44
    Just dont do it, i used to commute to uni on my Mongoose Tecoli Elite....i say used to, it got nicked, i had 3 chains on it, it was locked up in a bike cage, just off one of the most popular streets to walk down in sheffield, with a porter sat at the window watching the bike cage nearly 24/7, and with no less than 5 cameras on it (none which actaully turned out to be on at the time )...

The insurance were not going to pay up cause they thort i was trying to scam them...

Persoanlly it was either an inside job, or a magician, i reckon it was one of the university porters as not just my bike got nicked and as it was meant to be monitored by the porters it was a bit dodgy ....

rant over..
  • Shakman
    Shakman Posts: 12
    Thanks all for the replies.

Okay, understood, crappy commuter is only realistic choice. I suppose I could always sell it after 3 months ..... its just a pain in the ****. The government/local councils should really address the problem of bike thefts and bike storage.

We need 100% secure parking bays. I certainly would be prepared to pay for it.

Had a huge argument with my building manager at work. Basically answer was no, no to parking it in the underground car park (no insurance and not willing to provide security to open gates constantly), and no to bringing it into the office on health and safety.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Shakman wrote:
    Had a huge argument with my building manager at work. Basically answer was no, no to parking it in the underground car park (no insurance and not willing to provide security to open gates constantly), and no to bringing it into the office on health and safety.

You have a central London underground carpark and no one is allowed to park anything in it?! What do they do with it - store corpses in there?

Is there someone more senior you could ask. The building manager seems to be the usual sort of control freak that ends up in that sort of job but there might be someone further up who isn't a berk.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Yep, escalate. I'd talk to your boss, then have him talk to the building manager...
  • Nifkin
    Nifkin Posts: 52
    I third that! buidling management/security types are jobsworth petty bureaucrat fascists everywhere, simply coz they have foxtrot-alpha to do all day and can't help but make a mountain out of a molehill as soon as you even look in their direction. I had a similar problem with an unbudgeable cleverdick building manager that was swiftly resolved by my manager on my behalf. These days most companies wanna big up their green credentials, but sometimes you have to lead them by the nose for them to realise where and how they need to do it!

Nifffffffff :twisted:
    He's the Chungwit, the biff-boff and the puff pastry hangman
  • AndyManc
    AndyManc Posts: 1,393
    Shakman wrote:
    Thanks all for the replies.

Okay, understood, crappy commuter is only realistic choice. I suppose I could always sell it after 3 months ..... its just a pain in the ****. The government/local councils should really address the problem of bike thefts and bike storage.

We need 100% secure parking bays. I certainly would be prepared to pay for it.

100% agree, all they would need is a monitored CCTV covered area.

If you have a trade union health and safety rep where you work contact them, they are better able to deal with managements ignorance.

Specialized Hardrock Pro/Trek FX 7.3 Hybrid/Specialized Enduro/Specialized Tri-Cross Sport
    URBAN_MANC.png
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown