France or Scotland

Yecomb
Yecomb Posts: 26
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
I've got 12 days at the start of July to escape for a camping cycle tour. I just can't decide whether to go to France or Scotland. I'll be driving as I don't trust the airlines and don't fancy the train.

Coming from the North, the trip to France would give me a 9 day tour, whereas with less travel, I could get in 11 days in Scotland also at reduced cost. I'm thinking Dordogne/Lot area of France or West Highlands & Islands in Scotland.

I know the weather will be better in France and there'll also be prettier villages, more campsites, less midges and tastier food and wine, but there's some pretty dramatic scenery in Scotland I'd like to cycle sometime and there's the extra couple of days.

So, what would you do?

Comments

• priory
    priory Posts: 743
    I'll be doing west scotland in a few weeks time.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Impossible choice!

This year, I'm doing Scotland but a lot of me wishes I was going to France.

However, if we get the Summer they are promising us, the West Coast in crackling heat and long evenings is unsurpassed.

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)

• bikeboff
    bikeboff Posts: 87
    With the £/EUR exchange rate as it is, you might find Scotland to be better value for accommodation and food.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    sounds to me like the head says scotland, the heart says france :-)

France in July is very busy, and if the weather reports turn out to be correct and it is a hot one then scotland may be better for weather cycling in
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • richard36
    richard36 Posts: 346
    I'm hoping to do Scotland this Saturday for a week. Travelling from John O Groats to Durness then down to Ullapool then to Gairloch east to Fort Wiliam down to Oban then to Tarbert across to Arran across to Ardrossan then home to Dumfries & Galloway

If there is little or no wind (!) and it doesn't rain it should be a great tour

Richard
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Personally I'd go to France.
    But then my standard commuting run goes through stunning Scottish countryside :D (I think that's the right smiley for smug...)
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    I spent two weeks in the highlands in August a couple of years ago - rained every day and never got above 20C! - and that was a summer when there were record temperatures in the South of the country. Never cycled in France unfortunately, though would love to at some point!
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • trashcanman
    trashcanman Posts: 56
    No contest for me, it would be France every time.
  • Yecomb
    Thanks for all the thoughts,

I think pneumatic and edhornby summed it up - impossible choice with head saying Scotland & heart in France.

Interesting to see so many pinning their hopes on weather forecasters who generally can't see 3 days ahead anywhere north of Southampton.

I'm not too worried about the extra cost of France as if it's a great trip I'll be happy to make the money back later on at home.

Also, although Scottish roads will be much quieter, I would keep to the little French roads anyway.

I'll probably end up tossing a coin, although I do worry about a trip like boneyjoes.

Thanks again.
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    I took a bit of a risk with mine - just remember where the train stations are! If it is REALLY terrible weather, and if you don't mind the expense, you can bash down to paris in less that 24 hrs...
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    France - you are much more likely to get decent weather. The mossies on the West Coast of Scotland are the size of birds :shock: .Go across to France with just your bike and yourself as a foot passenger on the ferry. If you don't want to waste time hanging around in the Pas de Calais jump on a train to Paris then take a train to Geneva and cycle round the Alps 8) .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Dr U Idh
    Dr U Idh Posts: 324
    dilemna wrote:
    The mossies on the West Coast of Scotland are the size of birds

Really? I can't say I've ever had a problem with mosquitoes in Scotland
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Why go somewhere that they hate you and you can't understand the language? Definately go to France!! :lol:
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • RonL
    RonL Posts: 90
    Superb tour images Dr U Idh, what month was that ?
    Pedaling spans generations.
  • Dr U Idh
    Dr U Idh Posts: 324
    That was the end of May last year. We had one hour of rain - and the locals told us that was the first they'd had for 6 weeks.
  • RonL
    RonL Posts: 90
    I'd better start packing, especially with the weekend forecast ! really encourages you to get out there.
    Thanks, Dr u idh
    Pedaling spans generations.
  • Yecomb
    I like that Aggieboy and Dr U Idh, that's given me some ideas for another trip sometime.

In the end I have booked the ferry and will take myself off to France. I just decided I could get to Scotland more easily for a few days, but France would always need more than a week to make it worthwhile.

My plan is to dump my car in Brive la Gaillarde and get the train to Millau. Then cycle up the Tarn, across to and down the Lot with a day loop from Figeac, then over to the Dordogne and another loop to Brive from Beaulieu sur Dordogne. Then from Beaulieu down the Dordogne past Sarlat and up the Vezere to my car in Brive. Looks like a decent route on google earth and bike toaster.

I know I should get the train all the way but I like the idea of less hassle and more flexibility from the car. Also, I'm not an environmentalist and couldn't care about my carbon footprint.

Anyone know rules on leaving cars for a week or so in France?
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Dr U Idh wrote:

Ahh the Western Isles its doesnt get much better than that for cycling in Scotland, some great pics there brings back a lot of memories for me when i was last up that way . In fact i may have another go at that late summer if i can get time of work.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    Aggieboy wrote:
    Why go somewhere that they hate you and you can't understand the language? Definately go to France!! :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    France every time.

Think about it in terms of the touring critieria that people enjoy

food
    welcome for cyclists
    campsites
    quiet roads
    good transport connections

France every time
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • pneumatic
    pneumatic Posts: 1,989
    Although . . .

for the last 4 days, Scotland has been at its very best: hot and sunny and almost windless.

I had a ride around Fife on Sunday afternoon with the warm air brushing against me and the landscape shimmering. It could easily have been France and access to the experience cost me nothing more than a couple of pints of beer in a pavement bar (yes! really!).

Just occasionally, Scotland beats France and these are moments to savour (like the last two times we played them at football!) :D

Fast and Bulbous
    Peregrinations
    Eddingtons: 80 (Metric); 60 (Imperial)