Custom wheels in the near future, but spoke and rim question

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited May 2009 in Road buying advice
Turns out my LBS cant get the aksiums in. Mavic have thrown a hissy fit with the main distributer it seems... thing is I see this as a sign. :twisted:

So I went into another local shop, hearing that they make up wheels and stock rims and hubs, I had a look and quite liked what I saw. They have the open pros in with Hope hubs of some sort. Looked really nice but they dont have bladed spokes.

Now these were very thin spokes, 32 of them. I've never used this type before, will they cut through the wind ok? Or am I better to pay a small fortune and get bladed?

I've been looking at the Chris King Classic Cross hubs too. Very expensive but I can afford it (just). Anyone used these, how did you get on?

Lastly (I promise) should I have problems getting the 28h open pro rims what other options are there. Has to be alu braking rim and metal spokes but I dont mind deep. Around 50-60 a hoop max.

Cheers! :)

Comments

• maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Ambrosio Excellights are another option for the rims. Come in at £60ish usually.

I reckon the thin spokes you mention were probably DT Revolution. I've got a set of wheels that use them and they've been fine. Not the stiffest setup in the world but def. light.

The bladed ones include the DT aerolight, Sapim CXray and DT Aerospeed. The first two are very light, the aerospeeds are a tad burlier.

The key to handbuilts is the build though, so don't get too focussed on the bits and forget the bloke building them.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If you want aero spokes, stick to CX-Rays or Aerolites - deeper bladed spokes require the hub spoke holes to be slotted which can weaken the hub flange.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    maddog 2 wrote:
    Ambrosio Excellights are another option for the rims. Come in at £60ish usually.

I reckon the thin spokes you mention were probably DT Revolution. I've got a set of wheels that use them and they've been fine. Not the stiffest setup in the world but def. light.

The bladed ones include the DT aerolight, Sapim CXray and DT Aerospeed. The first two are very light, the aerospeeds are a tad burlier.

The key to handbuilts is the build though, so don't get too focussed on the bits and forget the bloke building them.

I think thats what he might have said. TBH I forget now. I'm not worried too much about the weight - more the aerodynamics, lol. If it cuts through a head wind or partially side on I'll be happy.

The place I went to was GA Cycles on Shirley road in southampton. I heard that they built their own wheels for the last 'Cross season and regularly race with their own team