Kernow and South West 600km audax 30th May

vorsprung
vorsprung Posts: 1,953
600km, 8200m of ascent and just 40 hours to enjoy the scenery of Cornwall, Devon and Somerset

Starts from Exeter then visits Bude, Fowey, Penzance and back to Bude for a sleep stop
After this rest it's off again to the most eastly point of Crewkerne, across to the south coast and Seaton and Branscombe and to the finish back in Exeter

Includes a ferry ride and both ways up "Buzzard Alley" nr Hatherleigh

Cost to enter, 10 quid

Comments

• TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    vorsprung wrote:
    600km, 8200m of ascent and just 40 hours to enjoy the scenery of Cornwall, Devon and Somerset

Starts from Exeter then visits Bude, Fowey, Penzance and back to Bude for a sleep stop
    After this rest it's off again to the most eastly point of Crewkerne, across to the south coast and Seaton and Branscombe and to the finish back in Exeter

Cost to enter, 10 quid

That's a joke, right?
    exercise.png
  • wastrel
    wastrel Posts: 55
    Just for a second I thought about it.......then i remembered a Paris-Brest-Paris dvd that someone lent me and saw what it could lead to :roll:
    I'm thinking about doing the 1st half - pretty sure i couldn't ride past my door (or the local boozer) with 300k to go :)
  • vorsprung
    TheStone wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Cost to enter, 10 quid

That's a joke, right?

No joke, and there's still time to enter
    http://www.aukweb.net/cal/calsolo.php?Ride=09-474
  • vorsprung
    wastrel wrote:
    Just for a second I thought about it.......then i remembered a Paris-Brest-Paris dvd that someone lent me and saw what it could lead to :roll:
    I'm thinking about doing the 1st half - pretty sure i couldn't ride past my door (or the local boozer) with 300k to go :)

It goes very near my house with less than 150k to go ( I'm near Collumpton )
    I didn't do this ride last PBP year (2007). There is some terrain in PBP similar to that in the K&SW 600, around Loudéac
  • jimwin
    jimwin Posts: 208
    TheStone wrote:
    vorsprung wrote:

Cost to enter, 10 quid

That's a joke, right?

Yep - only 10 quid :))

Per mile about a tenth of the cost of a sportive.

- JimW

PS - the buzzard operates close to the Holsworthy recycling centre. I've been done 3 times now but only when the centre is open. Is that a coincidence? I reckon it's been trained.
  • Greenbank
    Greenbank Posts: 731
    TheStone wrote:
    That's a joke, right?

As the Rt Hon Vorsprung says; no.

Break free from the artificial mental barrier of the 100 mile sportive and embrace the insanity of riding through the night in order to see how many miles it is to Footown on a certain signpost in the middle of nowhere, and eating beans on toast and cake in the wrong order.

One year I'll do the K&SW, my parents live a few miles from Crewkerne so I could swing by and say hello, and my in-laws live in deepest darkest Kernow.

Instead I'll be doing the Bryan Chapman Memorial this weekend. 619km and 8300m climbing. Chepstow to Menai and back, via Snowdonia. Within, as always for a 600, 40 hours. On fixed.

More climbing than the K&SW but it's easier Welsh climbing, rather than the bonkers stuff down in the SW. I'd definitely bring the geared bike for the K&SW...
    --
    If I had a baby elephant signature, I\'d use that.
  • vorsprung
    Greenbank wrote:
    TheStone wrote:
    That's a joke, right?
    I'll be doing the Bryan Chapman Memorial this weekend. 619km and 8300m climbing. Chepstow to Menai and back, via Snowdonia. Within, as always for a 600, 40 hours. On fixed.

More climbing than the K&SW but it's easier Welsh climbing, rather than the bonkers stuff down in the SW. I'd definitely bring the geared bike for the K&SW...

When I did the K&SW 600 last time I rode mostly with Phil. Who rides a 70" fixed, as you know. I will be sticking with gears for rides over 100 miles, thanks

I'm doing the Byran Chapman Memorial 600 too. Despite the climbing being about the same for both, you are right, the K&SW 600 is much more difficult.

I think it is a bit dangerous saying that Welsh climbing is easier. The other contender for "the most difficult 600km audax in the UK" award is the "Offas Dyke" on the 4th of July. Ah, they changed the route to make that easier didn't they?

As for the cheapskate comments about it only being 10 quid, I reckon I will spend another 30 or 40 on food during the event
  • vorsprung
    *bump*

It really is your last chance to enter now! About a week to go
  • vorsprung
    The k&sw 600 was fun

It was bakingly hot

There was a tailwind for the first stage from Exeter to Bude. After this the hills really began and it heated up too. Looe was really pretty in the sun as was the ferry across to Fowey.
    Got to Penzance in plenty of time for a plate of pasta for dinner then up the "Atlantic Highway" with a billion stars overhead. The night wasn't cold. Got to Bude again at
    2:30am for the sleep stop, got 2 hours then off east again

Bit of a headwind but the wind had dropped a little overnight. After this I was about an hour ahead of the closing time consistently. The B road from Crewkerne to Seaton over the hills was fun. The A road back to Exeter was a bit steep for tired legs and I made slow painful progress

Finished at 930pm in Exeter

I think there were 12 starters and 4 sucessful finishers
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    You are clearly insane, but there's some method in your madness...

At the end of the day 300+ Km stages used to be routine in the old days of the Tour and Giro and given the bikes and roads they were riding, probably a similar effort... plus they were doing it every day for 2-3 weeks
    left the forum March 2023