Pulled a muscle in my neck. Can I still ride?

Nik_B
Nik_B Posts: 270
I've had this problem for years, 2 or 3 times a year I'll turn my head and suddenly I've got a very painful stiff neck. It's the muscles from where your neck joins the top of your shoulder. Normally I'd avoid any excercise for a few days but since I'm coming home from the middle east and will be heading somewhere else on sunday I've only got a few days when I can ride.

My question is can I can dose up on Ibuprofin etc and ignore it...can I damage it more or is it just a bit of pain that can be worked through? I'm desperate to go to a trail centre for some fun before it's back to work.

I just want to get out and ride. :x

Cheers

Nick

Comments

• ibuprofin + paraceamol only mask pain. That means that -
    1) yea you can ride
    2) you might make it worse without knowing.

May sound a bit odd... but I've never taken pain killers for that very reason ^.
    Coming from a rugby background, it was always better to let your body tell you when your ready.
  • Nik_B
    I don't really know what exactly a 'pulled muscle' is. I understand if for example you injured your knee you would want to rest it because there is real damage but does this apply for a pulled or strained muscle?

At a stretch I could give it two days and see if it's ok on friday.
  • A pulled muscle means that its been over strained.... stretched too far.

I find that light pulls can be worked out by some light stretching and a good warm up... just gotta work it out and loosen it up :)
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    I get that sometimes. I'd say it's OK to ride.
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • boneyjoe
    boneyjoe Posts: 369
    I've had a similar problem, usually suffered on cold rides, when you turn your head to check for traffic and neck/shoulder totally seizes up. I find some pain killers and a good, long, deep-tissue massage usually do the trick. It takes a few days to go away totally, though riding doesn't seem to make it worse, but you do have to be careful with those neck turns. If its cold/windy, suggest you wear a neck-buff to keep the muscles warm. And if you lose all sensation from the neck down, then stop cycling immediately!
    Scott Scale 20 (for xc racing)
    Gary Fisher HKEK (for commuting)
  • Nik_B
    It's just bloody annoying. Think I'll stick to plan A. Give it at least 1 day and gentle stretching might have a go on thurs or fri at a push.

in other news...death can be fatal :shock: