Giro stage 4 *spolier*

2»

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Apologies for asking again... at work, no telly, cyclingnews.com steadfastly refuse to mention him... is gibo still with the front group?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    Armstrong lost 16 or 17 seconds... which is quite a lot when you consider they only raced 800 metres.
  • afx237vi
    edited May 2009
    Apologies for asking again... at work, no telly, cyclingnews.com steadfastly refuse to mention him... is gibo still with the front group?

LOL, yes again. S/T as DDL.

Edit: Great finish, in fact. 5th.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850

Yep, top 10

Strava is not Zen.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Once again the pro peloton is so conservative. I'll wait to the last 600m before I start racing as I might bonk if I go with 6km to go.

Was certainly hoping Soler would get that but Di Luca came past him so so fast.

Lövkvist in Pink - that boy is going to be huge in years to come.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

What else can you expect when the organisers shove 2 mountain stages in your face, just 3 days in to 3 weeks?

Armstrong? Well, it's will be all about the last few Kms tomorrow, again.
    If he gets through that, the stages are pretty long, but relatively flat, right up to that monster ITT.

LPR will have to break out more of that special brake fluid, at that point.
    seems to be working very smoothly, at the moment.

I'm surprised Iain is letting them win all the stages and get off scott free. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • afx237vi
    Surely everyone knew this stage was going to be relatively uneventful? The climb wasn't that hard and it's 4 days into a 21 day race... why would anyone attack? It would be suicide.
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512

What else can you expect when the organisers shove 2 mountain stages in your face, just 3 days in to 3 weeks?

If he gets through that, the stages are pretty long, but relatively flat, right up to that monster ITT.

LPR will have to break out more of that special brake fluid, at that point.
    seems to be working very smoothly, at the moment.

I'm surprised Iain is letting them win all the stages and get off scott free. :P

If LA does tomorrow like he did today he then has a further 7 days to find form...his Giro not quite over yet...
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    Wiggins only 32 secs off Di Luca :shock:
    Contador is the Greatest
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Great final push by DiLuca and a great ride by basso's team but he wasn't able to hold it. Also, good job by Levi to stay at the same time without expending his energy. While it's not a huge push, i wonder if this extra effort will slightly hurt Di Luca going forward?
  • dave_1
    Wiggins only 32 secs off Di Luca :shock:

I was a bit surprised Wiggins decided to hang in there...maybe he is riding for a GC positon?
  • dave_1
    Horner saying in his blog that LA has a mechanical, hence dropped..??
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Dave_1 wrote:

The comics report is probably more telling. They reckon he looked like he dug very very deep. The fact Wiggins finished near the leaders tells my radar it wasn't exactly eyeballs out.

If they'd done the pace they did for the final km for 4-5km's it would be different.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • donrhummy
    donrhummy Posts: 2,329
    Dave_1 wrote:

No, Lance says he just dropped off physically at the end (from twitter):
    Stage 4 done. Uphill finish. Legs weren't bad and made it almost the whole way. Came off a little at the top. Not bad for 1st big climb in..
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    Once again the pro peloton is so conservative. I'll wait to the last 600m before I start racing as I might bonk if I go with 6km to go.

I wonder if he can hang on to it?

it was remarkably easy for him to came back to solers wheel after the first dig

bit too awesome to ignore

dark horse indeed
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • aurelio_-_banned
    aurelio_-_banned Posts: 1,317
    iainf72 wrote:
    The comics report is probably more telling. They reckon he looked like he dug very very deep. The fact Wiggins finished near the leaders tells my radar it wasn't exactly eyeballs out.
    It certainly looks like he found it hard...

bettiniphoto_0038260_1_full.jpg
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328

. :P

What is it with you and LA ? your every comment seems to be based on what he does or doesnt do..........goodness knows why.
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !
  • Quite Frankly
    Quite Frankly Posts: 386
    aurelio wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:
    It certainly looks like he found it hard...

bettiniphoto_0038260_1_full.jpg

Stick a fork in him, he's done.
  • Quite Frankly

I wonder if he can hang on to it?

it was remarkably easy for him to came back to solers wheel after the first dig

bit too awesome to ignore

dark horse indeed

He did a solid job but I'm not going to get too excited by his performance considering that the final climb wasn't too difficult and they only really started racing in the last 800m.

Doesn't say much for Mr Armstrong's performance truth be told.
  • Quite Frankly
    Leaving Armstrong aside, Astana certainly appear to be the strongest team in the race with six riders in the shake up at the end.

Basso wil only have Pellizotti and Szmyd for company in the mountains and other than Bosisio, Di Luca has a pretty weak team around him when it goes uphill.

On today's evidence, Garmin, Saxo Bank, Bouygues, Xacobeo, ISD and Katusha don't have a rider capable of challenging for a top ten in GC.
  • blazing_saddles
    edited May 2009
    Moray Gub wrote:

What is it with you and LA ? your every comment seems to be based on what he does or doesnt do..........goodness knows why.

Nice.
    I reply to everybody else, in the sub text, simply because they are talking about LA and I'm the one with a fixation?
    That balls in your court, I think.

To not comment upon his performance and prospects after the first mountain stage, given all the build up, would be odd, to say the least.

A ridiculous post.

Anyhow, back to the stage. Brad Wiggins only loses 32". If he could manage that again tomorrow and on stage 10, there's stage 12 to look forward to.

If nothing else, he's on course for his highest GT finish by a mile.
  • Quite Frankly
    Moray Gub wrote:

Nice.
    I reply to everybody else, in the sub text, simply because they are talking about LA and I'm the one with a fixation?

Anyhow, back to the stage. Brad Wiggins only loses 32". If he could manage that again tomorrow and on stage 10, there's stage 12 to look forward to.

What's his best so far in his career?

He'll really be going some to only lose 32 seconds tomorrow. I'd give you odds of 20/1 against.
  • blazing_saddles
    .....and I wouldn't take them..... :wink:
  • leguape
    leguape Posts: 986

Did I imagine reading somewhere that he'd slimmed down over the winter from his 80kg track weight to a more reasonable 76kg?

There was a lovely shot of him on eurosport tucked in behind the big boys with a look of bafflement on his face. You could imagine him thinking "there's Armstrong, there's Basso, Sastre, Mick Rogers, Di Luca. I can't see anyone else in a Garmin jersey. Oh sh*t, this isn't the grupetto, is it?"
  • afx237vi
    leguape wrote:

Did I imagine reading somewhere that he'd slimmed down over the winter from his 80kg track weight to a more reasonable 76kg?

This pic was much discussed after Roubaix:

3434625727_bae09fb470.jpg

:shock:
  • moray_gub
    moray_gub Posts: 3,328
    Moray Gub wrote:

Nice.

To not comment upon his performance and prospects after the first mountain stage, given all the build up, would be odd, to say the least.

A ridiculous post.

Juts seems that every time you comment on the race its based around what Lance does or what he makes others seemingly do .Ridiculous ? well that could be your post about your reading of the stage two days ago you somehow got it into your head that Levi was waiting for Lance and from this you deduced that Bertie was going to have trouble in the tour. Why didnt Levi wait for Lance yesterday if that was the case ? there were a myriad of possible reasons why the break didnt push on that day Levi being told not to was the most nonseniscal of them all.............anyway back to the racing
    Gasping - but somehow still alive !