Police motorbikes allowed to use ASLs?

Porgy
Porgy Posts: 4,525
edited July 2009 in Campaign
I've just had a conversation with a motorbike cop who I noticed was stopping in ASLs in Central London. I told him that he wasn't setting a good example to other motorcyclists who obviously feel that they can use ASLs whenever they like.

The cop told me that the police had an exemtion from traffic laws which allowed them to use ASLs legally. I questioned this as he didn;t appear to be on an emergency. His response was that it was so he could catch cyclists going through red lights. Double whammy!!

After a few google searches I can find nothing on police exemptions from traffic laws other than speeding when on an emergency. The cop who claimed this power couldn;t tell me where the power came from other than some act of parliament which he couldn;t name.

So does anyone know? Is this right?

Comments

• On a similar not I received this replay from London Ambulance Service about a driver who was in the bus lane when not on an emergency. I only complained becuase he forced me out of his way on tow separate occasions.

"I can confirm that your concerns were passed to the member of staff's direct manager and also the Senior Manager. The issues you raised were brought to his attention, in particular respect of the driving standards. I was however informed that emergency vehicles are permitted to use bus lanes, however if you have any further concerns regarding this persons driving standards then please do not hesitate to contact me and I will forward these to the Manager for actioning."
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Exemptions to laws such as bus lanes are down to local area councils rather than exemptions in the Road Traffic Act etc.
  • avalon
    avalon Posts: 345
    Porgy wrote:
    I've just had a conversation with a motorbike cop who I noticed was stopping in ASLs in Central London. I told him that he wasn't setting a good example to other motorcyclists who obviously feel that they can use ASLs whenever they like.

The cop told me that the police had an exemtion from traffic laws which allowed them to use ASLs legally. I questioned this as he didn;t appear to be on an emergency. His response was that it was so he could catch cyclists going through red lights. Double whammy!!
    After a few google searches I can find nothing on police exemptions from traffic laws other than speeding when on an emergency. The cop who claimed this power couldn;t tell me where the power came from other than some act of parliament which he couldn;t name.

It didn't occur that he was taking the piss then?
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    avalon wrote:
    Porgy wrote:

It didn't occur that he was taking the wee-wee then?

He wasn't I assure you.
  • grayo59
    grayo59 Posts: 722
    Sometimes I cannot resist the urge to prod the wasps nest despite being stung on occasions ...
    grayo59 wrote:
    Sometimes I cannot resist the urge to prod the wasps nest despite being stung on occasions ...

Hmmm... I have a tendency to occasionally bash it with a big stick...and then kick it around until I do get stung. :evil:
  • paulwood
    paulwood Posts: 231
    Police are exempt red lights, which would also apply to ASLs if they need to for police purposes.

Just general riding round they should keep out like everyone else.

You tell them :-)
  • Just police bikes? I though everyone could stop in ASLs? ;)

You're right though, police should really set an example, and this can only be further propagating the belief that motorcyclists can use ASLs.

(It is fun though to track stand next to a guy on a super bike and then try to beat them to the other side of the junction when the light changes!)
    Wanna go for a ride? :)
  • FAT_ROB
    FAT_ROB Posts: 116
    Now I might be wrong in this.... And even if I'm not I guess its one we should keep quiet..

I'm not convinced that ASL are written into any traffic legislation, or the highway code (although to be honest I haven't preused it at length for some time)

In effect this would mean that every tom dick and large articulated lorry could in effect use them... They are I guess just another aspect of our utterley useless and badly laid out transport plan.

I think they are there as a guide, no more! so in effect the copper, although yes setting a bad example, I don't think was actually breaking a traffic legislation.

Normal police expemption comes from S136 RTA, I can't remember the schedule but its part an parcel of there ability to stop all and sundry to 'check driving docs....... The bounders!
    Never knowingly past a pie shop!

Spec Pitch

Spec Tarmac

Thorn Raven Tourer (with Roholf Hub gears)
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    FAT_ROB wrote:
    Now I might be wrong in this.... And even if I'm not I guess its one we should keep quiet..

I'm not convinced that ASL are written into any traffic legislation, or the highway code (although to be honest I haven't preused it at length for some time)

In effect this would mean that every tom dick and large articulated lorry could in effect use them... They are I guess just another aspect of our utterley useless and badly laid out transport plan.

I think they are there as a guide, no more! so in effect the copper, although yes setting a bad example, I don't think was actually breaking a traffic legislation.

Normal police expemption comes from S136 RTA, I can't remember the schedule but its part an parcel of there ability to stop all and sundry to 'check driving docs....... The bounders!

ASLs are mentioned at length in the Highway Code. Several times. I havent checked the RTAct lately for it tbh, but I think it is mentioned.
  • Guys, it look as if all a motorist has to say is 'I was ovr the first white line at the time the signal turned red'

Advanced stop lines. Some signal-controlled junctions have advanced stop lines to allow cycles to be positioned ahead of other traffic. Motorists, including motorcyclists, MUST stop at the first white line reached if the lights are amber or red and should avoid blocking the way or encroaching on the marked area at other times, e.g. if the junction ahead is blocked. If your vehicle has proceeded over the first white line at the time that the signal goes red, you MUST stop at the second white line, even if your vehicle is in the marked area. Allow cyclists time and space to move off when the green signal shows.

[Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10, 36(1) & 43(2)]
  • cedargreen
    cedargreen Posts: 189
    So the boys in blue are supposed to obey traffic laws when not on an emergency call!
    When was this introduced?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    The only specified exemptions in law for police are speed limits and traffic lights when on an emergency. Anything else also has to be 'proportionate and justified' to the police purpose, for example keep left arrows etc.

There is no specific exemption for a solid white line other than those for the general motoring public and none for a No Entry.