back on the bike after around 16 years

scoobywrx
scoobywrx Posts: 111
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Found out some of the dads at the local school went out on their bikes on saturday mornings early ish so not to interfer with family life.......I was invited. So I got my Marin Eldridge Grade out of the garage and met them on a saturday. Hmmm their bikes didn't look like mine ...oh well. After 10 knackering (for me) miles later, being way off the pace and my legs like jelly I limpted home and straight to the bath. Strangely i had enjoyed it. I went out on my own midweek then again with them at the w'end. A little easier....still way off the pace but not too jelly legs.

eight weeks later and now really got the bug....(im out every morning before work doing around 7 miles on trails with some hills) Im up now with the best of the Dads and my fitness level has vastly improved, and lost around 8-9 lb in weight. im statrting to watch what I eat so Im very motivated at the mo.

Perhaps a new bike might be on the cards....front suspension seems a good idea.....my arms and wrists are taking a bashing
kendoddsdadsdogsdead

Comments

• Well done mate, you got the bug ha ha it doesnt take long does it ? Remember "competitive dad" off harry enfield and chums ha ha !! :lol:
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Nice work - I got sidetracked by motorbikes for a few years and those first few rides are hard, but damn it feels good to back on a bike! Welcome back! :twisted:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • Bungalow Bill
    Bungalow Bill Posts: 643
    Awesome welcome back to the good life. Now have a word for not riding for so long, but take it easy on y ourself =D

Price range for a bike se yet?
    I use all 9 inches.

Sabrina
  • scoobywrx
    I think around the £500 pound mark. I can use the C2W scheme so this make things a little easier
    Just bought my wife a rockrider 5.2 from decathlon at £200......how much difference will you feel with a £500 pound bike
    kendoddsdadsdogsdead
  • 500 quid, tricky. Take a look at Merida Matts, kona blast, And my Fave 'FOCUS'made in germany
    I tried this bike - nice british :] around your budget, was nice man,
    http://www.sunsetmtb.co.uk/shop/index.p ... gory_id=10
    carefull 2nd hand. auction sites etc. can get screwd over.
    Focus Blackhills with a few bits :]
  • Welcome back!

I'm in a similar place to you - not long back on the bike after a long time off. Wrists are hurting some after the longer, bumpier rides, but I've managed to stay away from this newfangled suspension malarkey for now! ;)
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Is this where all the rigid riders are hanging out then...?

My bouncy forks finally arrived this morning, after 12 years!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • fell off :shock:
  • scoobywrx
    Hmmmm....been thinking. Could I fit new front suspension fork to my old marin bike.

My arms are beginning to ache, but i guess they are getting a good workout.

Went on a great route last night in SE london 12.8 miles 90% off road........managed only 3-4 miles this morning before work....feeling a little full from a curry!!
    kendoddsdadsdogsdead
  • .error
  • shogunsteve
    shogunsteve Posts: 209
    scoobywrx wrote:
    I think around the £500 pound mark. I can use the C2W scheme so this make things a little easier
    Just bought my wife a rockrider 5.2 from decathlon at £200......how much difference will you feel with a £500 pound bike

I'd recommend Iron Horse Warrior 1.X, based on May edition of MBUK £500 hardtails. This one comes in at £400 too, so some dosh left for some trick bits :D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Like cars, you'll get a lot more for your money by buying a used bike, even only one with a small amount of use and all but immaculate will save you about 40%, going further my Giant Rincon set me back a total of £68.50 building it myself from just a frame using ebay.

Fellow scoob owner........

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • scoobywrx
    Morning fellow scooby owner

me too past the 40 mark......alass the scooby in not what i drive anymore (kids etc) (I wish though)

However going for 13 ride days on the trot tomorrow!!

Like the idea of building a complete bike around a ebay frame

What scooby do you drive?
    kendoddsdadsdogsdead
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hi, drive a Forester S-turbo (with a few tweaks!) family friendly and less risk from the local chavs wanting a spin! Building your own bike from a farme is great fun, and much quicker than anything I do on the car, you can also pick and choose which bits you want rather than having an 'off the peg' solution that then needs bits changing to suite you, I was lucky, but its certainly possible to do it for about £110 with all good bits - compare that to a cheapy £110 bike and its chalk and cheese!

Getting ready to commute to work, starting with a '1/2 commute' driving half way using a bike rack which should be ready for Monday!

Also out trying to keep up with the daughter (15)......

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hi drive a banger :]

2nd hand is defo's worf it

just got 2 grands worth of bike for 550 euros :lol: