Commute, What gears are you in?

canada16
canada16 Posts: 2,360
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hey

I have had a revelation after 4 years.... Its not good to be in the low gear on the low ring, as my new mech rubs and my old one didnt.

Well have been told. yes this is normal :oops:

Anyway, if you are on the road, on a straight line what gear ratio are you on.

I am on the top ring and middle casstte ring?

Does that sound about right

Thanks

Comments

• Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    Big ring up front second or third from bottom at back, about 25th 26th gear.

It always makes me laugth when you see cyclists spinning out on flat roads, my legs rotate really slow but my bike moves really quick if that makes sense.
  • canada16
    I have learnt the way of the XT now..

I feel dumb now after 4 years as like I said my old one never rubbed.

Went from an LX to XT
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    Mr Wu wrote:
    Big ring up front second or third from bottom at back, about 25th 26th gear.

It always makes me laugth when you see cyclists spinning out on flat roads, my legs rotate really slow but my bike moves really quick if that makes sense.

That approach does put more strain on your legs though. The current thinking is that a higher cadence is better for cycling. Think around the 100rpm is advised for road bikes but not sure how that would work on the mtb.

Still, that should be in a gear that doesn't over stretch the frame. Avoid big up front to big out back and small up front to small out back if that makes sense.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    I like to much the miles on the middle ring on my commuter as it is steel rather than some feeble alloy.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    As Steve says, cadence is key. I choose a gear that I can spin at 90-100rpm when seated. There is no ideal gears the speed of the bike varies with terrain.

A bike has a theoretical 27 or 24 gears (for the majority). Many are replicated though - simple maths. Using the 22 chainring and 11 rear cog (22/11) is the same as using 32/16. But using the 22/11 puts the chain at an extreme angle so there is no point in using it.
  • canada16
    So I am looking at middle ring and then middle cassette?

or more towards the bottom of the cassette
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Whatver gives you comfortable pedalling. But if you have a choice of gears to do that, use the one that has the straightest chainline (as in my example).

With the middle ring you can use all the rear cogs.

With the small ring stick to the 4 largest.

With the large ring stick to the 4 smallest.

This way you won't have any gear overlap and decent chainlines. Change gear to suit conditions. I change many many times during a ride.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    When commuting I only have minor gradiants, or short hills. So I use the middle chainring as this is the only one I have (32T) and usually stay on the smaller end of the cassette (11T-14T)
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Hi,

I mostly use middle ring up front, 6-9 on the rear. It keeps the chain quite straight, drive train runs smoothly, and I can deal with all the hills on the way to work....and the bloody gale force wind in my face, like it has been for the last week :x lol

so im mostly using 15, 16, 17, 18.... except when I go up to the big ring (ooh errr missus...) to blast down hill.

Seems to work well enough. Better to keep my legs spinning than to strain them in too higher gear.... wouldnt want to spend 8 hours on my feet at work after that lol

Maybe things will change as my fitness improves?

Si
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    supersonic wrote:
    Whatver gives you comfortable pedalling. But if you have a choice of gears to do that, use the one that has the straightest chainline (as in my example).

With the middle ring you can use all the rear cogs.

With the small ring stick to the 4 largest.

With the large ring stick to the 4 smallest.

This way you won't have any gear overlap and decent chainlines. Change gear to suit conditions. I change many many times during a ride.

I find gears and conversations about gears the most confusing thing ever. :oops:

You just simplified everything in one go. Awesome. I can now concentrate on my rides instead of worrying about my gears. :lol::lol::lol:

Thank you Supersonic
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    i prefer a high cadence, anything over about 17mph i go into the big ring and the first three gears on the cassette i try to remember to use them only with the granny ring. chains, cassettes and rings have been lasting longer since doing this :)

on free wheel downhill bumby bits i stay in the big ring and about third gear on the cassette to keep the chain well tensioned as it stops the rear mech clattering about.
  • deadliest
    deadliest Posts: 471
    Its a slight gradient to work so I use Mid ring Mid Cassette on the way there and Big Ring Small cog on the way back but it really does depend on how Im feeling . . . Some mornings I smash it all the way to work on the Big Ring and some nights pootle home in the Middle ring . . . Its only 3 miles each way though so not much time for changing really.
    Bikes are drugs and Im pedalling

http://sherwoodpines.yolasite.com/
  • canada16
    Thanks supersonic, that last one was more for me.

Thanks mate, understand now, stay in the middle on a straight.

Thanks guys for your help.
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    44/11 on the way to work (its down hill) 34/11 back (its up hill)
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    16T sprocket, 36T chainring.

Everywhere.

Gears? I Don't need no stinking gears!

:wink:
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Captain Turok
    Captain Turok Posts: 686
    I use my fixed road bike ( :roll: ) for the occasional sunny commute 8)
    (44t chainring and 16t sprocket)

I think if I had to do it everyday I'd have gears! :wink:
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • hucking_fell
    hucking_fell Posts: 1,056
    I think if I had to do it everyday I'd have gears! :wink:

Yeah, I was only on about commuting as that was the title of this thread. No way I'd not have a bike with gears for other stuff.
    More freerange chicken than Freeride God
    Bighit , 5 , BFe
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    I'm always in the highest gear I can mash on the way to work, my commute's only 3 miles so it's a sprint really, plus I'm always late :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist