Disc Brakes...

Dave2k9
Dave2k9 Posts: 21
edited January 2010 in MTB beginners
hi guys its me again :D

How do you tighten disc brakes cos my rear one doesn't seem as powerful as it used to be? Also, I think the back disc is rubbing, how do you loosen it, or move it slightly?

thanks for the help
Cheers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    and the brakes are what?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • razer
    razer Posts: 64
    When you say not as powerful is the lever coming closer to the handlebars? if so you either need to replace your brake pads or bleed the brakes. Check the pads first as this is easy to see.

Once you tell people your make of brakes you will get an answer as to how to move it.
  • Dave2k9
    hi, yeah the lever is moving further back to the handlebars and i i think the discs are rubbing less now :)
    and not really im in Durham, why?

thanks for all the replies
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If they are cable
    1/ there is usually an adjuster for the static pad in the back of the caliper, wind it out until it just scuffs the disc very slightly when you spind the rear wheel. Some callipers have an adjustble slide, in which case you may need to use that to achive the same result.
    2/ Either use the moveable pad adjuster, or on really cheap calipers adjust the cable until the pad just litely scuffs the disc

5 minutes and sorted.

If its Hydraulic it almost certainly needs bleeding!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • was just wondering mate, i would have a look if you were nearby.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Dave2k9 wrote:
    hi, yeah the lever is moving further back to the handlebars and i i think the discs are rubbing less now :)
    and not really im in Durham, why?

thanks for all the replies

and the brakes are?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Dave2k9, mate, if you want us to help you, you'll have to be more active at least to your own post. Or post if you've fixed it.
  • a17vts
    a17vts Posts: 90
    I too have this same problem on my GT Avalance 3.0.

Disc brakes which are made by Tektro (not sure of which ones but came as standard on the Dics version.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    That is a cable disc. Wind in the static pad so it is just rubbing, then back off a fraction.

Adjust cable tension.

If pads are worn, replace.
  • a17vts
    supersonic wrote:
    That is a cable disc. Wind in the static pad so it is just rubbing, then back off a fraction.

Adjust cable tension.

If pads are worn, replace.

Excuse my stupidity but what do you mean!

I have no idea what to do when you say Static Pad or what the Cable tension is?
  • supersonic
    Do you have any instructions? If not, visit the Tektro website and downlaod them.
  • a17vts
    No i didn't get any instructions, I shall down load them now.

I assume once I have read these all will become clear?

Thanks for your help by the way.
  • supersonic
    Yep, should be! If not, try the Park Tools website for a generic set up guide.
  • a17vts
    Thanks again.

:D
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Try parktools here http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=124 you'rs isn't an avid caliper (clearly) but they are all very much of a muchness, most mechanical calipers have an allen key recess rather than the plastic wheel of the avid, other than that is all much the same.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Dave2k9
    sorry I haven't been on a while guys, there was a problem with my account but its sorted now. The bike works ok now - geordiefreerider im on the other side of Durham so its a canny hike for me to get up Ferryhill but cheers anyway.
    Got another bike now - in some ways you could say its not as good but its new and works and still has RST forks and full disc brakes so I like it.
    Will keep you updated on how it works out cos ill probs have some bother with it eventually :oops:

Cheers for all who replied :)
  • Dave2k9
    nicklouse wrote:
    and the brakes are?

yeah im not quite sure on the make of the brakes :oops: , they're full discs and work now i've messed on with them a bit. I'll let u know how that bike goes..hopefully it'll keep going forever if i look after it 8)