What is singletrack exactly?

UK2004
UK2004 Posts: 137
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Is it a more hard core verion of cross country, and what truly is freeride? Thanks.

Comments

• sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Single track is just any narrow trail that's only wide enough for 1 bike.Can be a couple of inches or a couple of feet wide.
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    What he said.

Free-ride is 'burly' bike riding. Jumps, step-ups, step-downs, downhill AND uphill.

It's all just fancy names for XC really. People don't want to be pigeon-holed into the tight lycra-wearing clan...

It's all a bit of what you make of it really. Just be happy with what and how you ride 8)
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • UK2004
    Oh so its not an intense form of riding as i kept reading that single track lovers should have longer travel suspension. What exactly would the 12 to 14 cm travel hardtails be designed for?

Sorry posted my post before yours showed, what are step ups and step downs? Apologies for my ignorance been away from bikes for too long!
  • Chaz.Harding
    I'd say, in my own opinion, that is all the you need if you are visiting UK trail centres, and cross country type-y stuff. It also gives you room for more 'hard-core' riding without a massive weight penalty.

Like the Fox Talas 32. Adjustable, light-ish, and tough. Or the Rockshox Pike, as another example. They got the Lyrik u-turn for £300 on CRC at the moment!!!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Chaz.Harding
    Also, everyone uses either millimeters or inches to measure travel. Not centimeters :wink:
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • UK2004
    Sorry 120mm, you mean you think thats what would you would advise 120-140mm hardtail for standard UK stuff?
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    UK2004 wrote:
    Sorry 120mm, you mean you think thats what would you would advise 120-140mm hardtail for standard UK stuff?
    Thats all you need really,personally i have a FS,75% of the time its not used to its full potential.I used to ride the same trails on a full rigid years ago.Trail centres are ridable on owt really.
  • realnumber 1
    realnumber 1 Posts: 675
    120-140mm is more than enough for most people.
  • UK2004
    You're very helpful bunch relly is appreciated, one last question, I like the idea of being able to go and pick up a stumpjumper pro or Lapierre bike from my local Evans as it is nearbye but read they are pure race bikes will they get damaged by some slightly intense riding, few drops etc or are they sufficiently strong in comparison to say a Whyte 19 Trail or Santa Cruz Chameleon or Merlin Malt 4 with full xt and good fork? Read great things about the £1500 genesis but it seems quite heavy.
  • Captain Turok
    Captain Turok Posts: 686
    It's all just fancy names for XC really.

+1
    Although I'd like to think it somes up what I try to do
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    the stumpjumper isnt a race bike, its a trail bike and suitable for most fo the riding, most folk do, most of the time on a full sus bike. as for the lapierre, it depends on which one you mean.
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    UK2004 wrote:
    stumpjumper pro

Stumpy HT or FSR (hard tail or full suspension)? They're very different bikes, the FSR would be golden for what you suggest.
  • Mr Wu
    Mr Wu Posts: 1,238
    120-140mm is more than enough for most people.

My Girlfriend said that size isnt important, its what you do with it :oops: :oops:
  • Mickey Eye
    Mickey Eye Posts: 590
    Mr Wu wrote:
    My Girlfriend said that size isnt important, its what you do with it :oops: :oops:

Exactly, I mean I only have 90mm but I still hit it off some fairly rough terrain.

Also 90mm forks...
  • fred1star
    fred1star Posts: 428
    Its a track thats single... :P
    09 - Santa Cruz Heckler
    03 - Trek 8500
    95 - P7 (Dead, but I loved it)
    Year dot - Alpine Stars CR300 - Still going strong...
  • UK2004
    Was referring to the Stumpjumper ahrdtails should of metnioned that sorry.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    The Stumpjumper hardtail is in my opinion a race bike. When designing bikes there is always a trade off between strength and light weight. The racier bikes will tend to trade off the strength for a lighter weight. saying that they are still mountain bikes so will take a bit of a hammering (they're not made of glass) but you have to be more careful.

The thing that you maybe over looking is the geometry of the race bikes. this will include things like a steeper head angle that a more advanced rider would cope with but a more novice rider may not. A race geometry can also be less comfortable and tiring on long rides.

i would suggest getting your self down to your local bike shop and trying out a few bikes and feeling the different geometries. You'll soon find something that suits you.
  • UK2004
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for that, appreciate the point about the geometry as I am getting back after quite a break more relaxed position would be nice, I wa going to risk mail ordering somethign I can't get locally like the Santa Cruz Chameleon or Whyte hardtail but will go and look at the Genesis in Evans as they are not too far and can hoepfulyl test ride.
  • UK2004
    Hve been to my local cycle store found very very unhelpful little in stock and not very interested in helping get the right bike. They do have a Santa Cruz Chameleon frame in stock but seemed puzzled that I would want a groupset and the rest to go with it to build a bike! My choices I have narrowed down to are, a Rock Lobster with XT groupset, Reba Race forks, Deus finishing kit and DMR V12 pedals, or a Cannondale F1 as seen here:

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/can ... cannondale

Or to put a build togeher for the Chameleon and them order in the parts and put it together for me, really not sure, heart tells me will like the Rock Lobster as fully customised to how I want it to look(sad but true!), The F1 looks lovely but am not sure how suited it is to my riding whether it's too racey although looks like 11cm fork and the Santa Cruz makes me think super strong and long lasting, would be happy if you lot can advise, will go with your recommendation on my riding type above as you have probably forgotten more about bikes than I will learn ina lifetime!
  • Atz
    Atz Posts: 1,383
    Without wanting to sound like I'm being a dick; given you don't seem to know much about bikes, if I were you I'd avoid spending too heavily now and get something to figure out if you like to ride much. It will also give you a chance to figure out what sort of riding you're into and then you can upgrade with the relevant stuff. The 1300 (assuming you're not going for the Ti) you're talking of spending buys a lot of bike but it also can buy a lot of bike that you don't like or is unsuitable for what you want to use it for.

I don't know where you live but I'd recommend finding a shop that will let you do some test rides on a variety of machinery (not just around the carpark either) so you get some idea of what fits.