Suspension seat post?

Ian.B
Ian.B Posts: 732
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
Does anyone use a suspension seatpost for comfort over longer distances, and if so does anyone have any recommendations? I was thinking it might be a good idea for a road bike for someone with a slightly dodgy back.
Thanks!
Ian

Comments

• tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    Post Moderne do Glide and Solace - you can get different springs for both, depending on your weight. (just thin, normal and heavy, though - think it about 4 or 5 quid for a different spring)
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I use a Cane Creek ST Thudbuster. the 'ST' stands for short travel which means that it reduces the level of vibration on rougher roads/trails. Recommended but if you want more suspension you might want to go for an LT.
  • psmiffy
    psmiffy Posts: 236
    I have been using USE suspension posts for the past 20years - remove a lot of the effects of all the little bumps that you miss during the day - reduces fatigue and I do not get back problems from riding unless I do something stupid - latest incarnation is the SUMO good solid easily adustable clamp - not cheap - full size 27.2 is the stronger version otherwise 25mm and a shim

My touring bike has had a sus post for as long as its been a touring bike - 2 years ago I bought a flat bar road bike for day riding - went out for 2hrs - came back and base of back was sore for 2 days - took off tourer and fitted to road bike for next ride - sorted - bought second post
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    psmiffy wrote:
    I have been using USE suspension posts for the past 20years - remove a lot of the effects of all the little bumps that you miss during the day - reduces fatigue and I do not get back problems from riding unless I do something stupid - latest incarnation is the SUMO good solid easily adustable clamp - not cheap - full size 27.2 is the stronger version otherwise 25mm and a shim

My touring bike has had a sus post for as long as its been a touring bike - 2 years ago I bought a flat bar road bike for day riding - went out for 2hrs - came back and base of back was sore for 2 days - took off tourer and fitted to road bike for next ride - sorted - bought second post

High psmiffy. At last a suspension seat post convert! Suspension seat posts really are the answer to generally reducing aches, pains and problems down under. You seem to have got this message years ago. For me it was about 4 years ago. I would never go back to solid seat post even on a race road bike.

I have a cheaper "KF" suspension seat post £25 which was an upgrade from a Halfords Trans X (£16) which didn't last very long. The KF now has slight play in the post after about a year and has covered about 5000 miles. If taking it apart is there something to tighten up do you think? But what I would really like to know is how robust are the USE seatposts? The ones I have seen are about £70-80 which is a bit beyond my budget and I don't really want to spend this amount and get something that is really no better than that which I already have. I need 27.2mm diameter and am medium weight. Have your USE seat posts remained rock solid with only up and down movement as expected? If so then I might get one as the USE seat posts are supposed to be the best if you believe all the hype. Which model to go for? It must be a silver finish not black.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    i have one of those brooks b17 with springs at the back. the bounce is very effective, there is no stiction, the springs work in the right direction for your bum. I have found it immediately comfy for long rides even without breaking in. You can get them pre-aged.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Broo ... -16395.htm
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • psmiffy
    I am on my third generation USE sus post

The SX lasted over 15years of pretty much daily use - pretty wobbly by the time the clamp gave out

The Alien was a mistake for me - not really the clamp was not really up to the rigours of heavy touring - when needs be you grab the back of the saddle to load the bike onto trains or drag it over low obstructions

the SUMO seems to be the answer - clamp is large and easily adjustable - the two that I an using at the moment do what they are suposed to do - the one on my touring bike has done about 5000km of heavy touring - small amout of lateral movement which is to be expected from something which is manufactured in bits - I quite like the little bit of movement as it helps everything to conform

They do them in silver and 27.2 - need to make sure your seat tube is well clean as they are quite long

downside as you said is they are quite expensive and will wear out in time - I do not think I have ever worn out a conventional seat post
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    psmiffy wrote:
    I am on my third generation USE sus post

The SX lasted over 15years of pretty much daily use - pretty wobbly by the time the clamp gave out

The Alien was a mistake for me - not really the clamp was not really up to the rigours of heavy touring - when needs be you grab the back of the saddle to load the bike onto trains or drag it over low obstructions

the SUMO seems to be the answer - clamp is large and easily adjustable - the two that I an using at the moment do what they are suposed to do - the one on my touring bike has done about 5000km of heavy touring - small amout of lateral movement which is to be expected from something which is manufactured in bits - I quite like the little bit of movement as it helps everything to conform

They do them in silver and 27.2 - need to make sure your seat tube is well clean as they are quite long

downside as you said is they are quite expensive and will wear out in time - I do not think I have ever worn out a conventional seat post

Thanks very much for your thoughts, much appreciated. The Sumo is indeed expensive :shock: . I agree with you in that the slight lateral movement assists. At first I thought that my seat post was on it's way out but the movement is only slight and hasn't got any worse and does seem to assist in offering less resistance. It's not suprising there will be undesired movement in a seat post made in several pieces over time.

Is it possible to wear out a conventional solid seat post :? ?
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • psmiffy
    I would have a suspension stem ala Girvin Flexstem if anybody made a good long one for modern A headsets - my old touring bike had one and it definetly cut out a lot of the all day buzz that leaves my hands a bit useless sometimes
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    Thanks to everyone for their comments/suggestions
    Ian