Trees are trying to kill me.

2»

Comments

• itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    I'm with AT on the midges thing - the country cycling is a complete 'mare when you don't see the cloud in time to duck.

Even if you DO duck, you've now got a head full of the flaming things and it drives you nuts when you can't get to the buggers through your cycling helmet. :evil:

I usually also get dive bombed by suicidal flies and bees - and trust me: hitting a bumble bee at anything near 20mph is enough to knock you senseless. :?

Little spinny helicopter seeds would be the least of my worries :wink:

+1

Back when I used to cycle those wee flying beasties were a pain, still all good protein :roll:

Walking around London today I needed sunnies on just to keep the dust out of my eyes, yucky London dust made from crushed yokels :?
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    Doesn't everyone where glasses?

I broke my crappy clear lensed shades a couple of weeks ago and did a couple of commutes without. Even dust in my eyes really takes the fun out of things. Pollen, stone chips, flies and have you read that piece on one of the courier web sites about sharp bits of metal having to be oulled out of your eyeball.....

glasses...always...
  • jedster
    or even "wear"
  • jedster
    or even "wear"
  • sarajoy
    sarajoy Posts: 1,675
    I wore my cheapo ones today. So much nicer! Only marginally less snot but a lot less tears and having to wipe out my eyes with my hands !
    4537512329_a78cc710e6_o.gif4537512331_ec1ef42fea_o.gif
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I always thought of wrap arounds as a bit "all the gear..." until i bought a pair.

The fact that they give you WAY better peripheral vision than normal glasses and cover your eyes from airborne particulate (and insect!) pollution almost entirely, make them a no-brainer for me now.

They also keep the cold wind off your eyes in the Winter, so really are (IMHO) an essential purchase
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    I always thought of wrap arounds as a bit "all the gear..." until i bought a pair.

The fact that they give you WAY better peripheral vision than normal glasses and cover your eyes from airborne particulate (and insect!) pollution almost entirely, make them a no-brainer for me now.

They also keep the cold wind off your eyes in the Winter, so really are (IMHO) an essential purchase

Yeah, I alternate between my cheapy wrap-arounds and some bug-eye normal sunnies. The wrap-arounds are utterly useless at repelling the evil plane tree seeds, but the bug-eye sunnies do the job well. However, they're rather dark for anything but the sunniest day.

I would buy some of the Rudy Project ones, but £100-ish for sunnies that I don't really like that much seems a bit steep...
  • Kieran_Burns
    my wrap arounds have interchangeable lens, so I can pick and choose which to wear dependent upon the weather. In winter it's always the clear ones, but I changed over to the smoked grey (can't bring myself to wear the oil-slick ones :wink: ) set when the evening commute became light.
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    I would buy some of the Rudy Project ones, but £100-ish for sunnies that I don't really like that much seems a bit steep...

Too right! But ebay is your friend...
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Fireblade96
    Fireblade96 Posts: 1,123
    I almost always wear glasses of some sort while cycling, even at night - current favourites are the blue-lensed DHB ones from good ol' Wiggle.

The hill from home into town is 30+mph steep, and if I'm not wearing glasses I arrive at the bottom of it a red-eyed, snotty mess. Which isn't a good look when meeting friends, or even going to work. However when work colleagues pointed out this out to me I explained that having to come into work made me cry :lol:
    Misguided Idealist
  • Kieran_Burns
    Just to add - I'm fortunate in that while I DO wear glasses I am road legal without them. This allows me the option to wear my shades instead of my glasses when I commute.

(it just takes 5 mins or so for my eyes to adjust)
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • lost_in_thought
    Just to add - I'm fortunate in that while I DO wear glasses I am road legal without them. This allows me the option to wear my shades instead of my glasses when I commute.

(it just takes 5 mins or so for my eyes to adjust)

These Rudy Project ones can take a little clip-in thingy-ma-jig with your prescription... quite clever really.

I'm bidding for some on flea-bay... we shall see!
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,052
    +1 for wrap arounds but remember that wearing them will effect your FCN
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • Kieran_Burns
    itboffin wrote:
    +1 for wrap arounds but remember that wearing them will effect your FCN

I know - it should be 9 now... but I'm in denial :oops:
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
  • always_tyred
    always_tyred Posts: 4,965
    Mario+Cipollini-thumb.jpg
    They were cool once.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    They were cool once.

Classic style never goes out of fashion.

Much like haircuts.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    Does anyone else have problems with masses of tree seeds that look like navel fluff ? I gather it comes from willows - damn stuff gets everywhere :shock:
  • Jay dubbleU
    Jay dubbleU Posts: 3,159
    They were cool once.

So were bandannas :roll:
  • lost_in_thought
    Does anyone else have problems with masses of tree seeds that look like navel fluff ? I gather it comes from willows - damn stuff gets everywhere :shock:

That's the stuff that made me start this whole thread... apparentlty it comes from plane trees - see moonio's post...