Need Help With Frame Sizing Compromise

powder_monkey
powder_monkey Posts: 11
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi,

I am currently looking at bikes in the £200 - £250 price range. The problem I am having is that I am 5 feet 11 inches tall, but have a short inside leg.

This means that all the bikes I have tried seem to be a compromise in that I either have to settle for a bike that gives a long enough reach but no standover clearance (I hear it should be about 3 inches) or one that gives the standover but is apprarently too short.

I can move the saddle back on the rails about an inch or so, or will this cause other problems?

The salesmen I have spoken to have advised me to sacrifice standover for reach,l but Im not so sure. Im looking to ride XC, so I need a little agility.

Can anyone advise? I know there are longer bikes for a given frame size, but they are generally out of my price range.

Comments

• Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    I have exactly the same problem and the b/f sorted me out with a longer stem.

Now all's good :)
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • Ditch Witch
    Ditch Witch Posts: 837
    I ride like a girl
    Start: 16.5.x Now: 14.10.8 Goal: 11.7.x
    www.ditchwitch.me.uk
    www.darksnow.co.uk
    Specialized HardRock Pro Disc 04
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    With the nice lady in the pointed hat, I am a similar build, get the saddle back a bit and budget for a longer stem, upto 130mm is easily findable (ebay!) and will lengthen the cockpit by about 2" compared to a reletively standard (on that price point bike) 80mm.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Be careful though - a longer stem will slow your steering and could make things unweildy. Moving the saddle back is fine, although you will obviously move your centre of gravity toward the rear of the bike & may need to consciously slide forward more on climbs and in corners to weight the front wheel.

I'm a similar proportion & use a very slightly large-looking frame with an 85mm stem and bar-ends (remember them?) which means I get really sharp handling and a front that pops up really easily when I want it to, but can I can stretch out on climbs or smoother/road sections, or get weight over the front on standing climbs.

Best of both worlds 8)

Look out for frames with naturally low standover heights too (Kona spring to mind), so that you can go to a larger size without endangering yourself...
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world