Haynes Bike Book 2008 5th edition

danffk
danffk Posts: 4
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Is this a good book? does anyone own it? is it worth buying for £12?

I don't know a lot about MTB but know some basic's, I just want to service my own bike plus get to know all the components and keep it in top condition

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    i would save the cash and use Sheldon Browns webby and Parktools webby for now.

links below.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    I'd say the Hayne's manual or the Zinn books are pretty good if you're not mechanically minded, but want some kind of workshop guide.

All the stuff on bicycles is pretty basic anyway (apart from suspension systems!!). Once you've seen it on the web (Sheldon Brown) then I dare say you'll probably be able to do it again, without a guide.
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Big dave 3
    Big dave 3 Posts: 304
    I think it's the best £10 or whatever it is from Amazon Ive ever spent!

I cleaned & lubed my bike & fancied venturing further so I bought the Zinn book. I browsed through it & it was all text on how to fit different brands/types of parts. I have never referred to it in the end.

I bought the Haynes book & have ventured further than ever before & now am planning on upgrading all my components getting more complex as I go along.

I have also supplemeted it with photocopies of the technical manuals that come with the part, stapled onto the relevant page. i.e. the formula instructions for bleeding their brakes stapled onto the page about bleeding brakes in general.

There are lots of photos which IMO are far better than the drawn diagrams & text on Zinns book.

I was petrified of bike maintenance before & a real donut, but now I honestly feel a lot more confident with the help of that manual.
    /

Marin Team HT (customiosed commuter)

Boardman Team HT (customised commuter)

Giant Defy 1 2014.

Ribble Sportive Azzurro
  • iknowgungfu
    iknowgungfu Posts: 35
    I liked the look of haynes, but I bought Zinn. I am a complete novice at this sort of thing but with heavy use of the Zinn books and diagrams I have managed to to accomplish quite a lot (well, by my terms anyways!)

I liked sheldon and parktools website also, but I didn't fancy getting oil and dirt all over my macbook whilst in the thick of repairs!
    Help me I am a n00b!