Cycling the width of Wales (Cheltenham to St David's) route?

trickeyja
trickeyja Posts: 202
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi all,

I am hoping to cycle from Cheltenham to St Davids and back at the end of May, staying at the youth hostel there. I'm also planning a rest day in between to explore the coastline and Ramsey Island.

Could anyone help recommend a route for the trip?
I estimate it is 150-160 miles each way, so a full day's cycling. For the outward route I am thinking Cheltenham>Ross>Abergavenny>Brecon>Llandeilo>Carmarthen>St Davids.

Past Brecon, I don't have much experience of the roads and there don't seem to be many direct east to west roads apart from the A40. Is the A40 from Carmarthen a good route or would it be best avoided?

Ideally I would like to return via a different route but I'm having trouble thinking of something that doesn't make it a whole lot longer. If there is a route south of the Beacons that would be great but on the map it looks like a mash of busy A roads.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• crafty
    crafty Posts: 85
    Hi trickeyja.

A40 from Carmarthen is always busy. As far as I remember, there are sections which allow for cyclists but it's less than ideal. One option is to keep north of the A40 and head south once you hit the coast. Of course it will add to your mileage but the scenery is amazing and the coast road quieter. I left the pack at Newport and continued my ride south to Milford Haven. Fishguard is nasty as you climb out of the bay! Anyway, good luck which ever route you decide to take. Maybe you could use some of the notes below.

Here are the route notes for Brecon to Newport, Pembs. Newport is up the coast from St Davids. As you can see the daily mileage was very easy-going but it was very much a sightseeing/beer-swilling affair. It may be of some help though...

Day 2 – Brecon to Llandovery – about 25 miles

Brecon town in the morning. There’s a museum! Beautiful scenery all round.

At the bottom of the hill just before the bridge, take the right turn to Pont y Sicr and on to Abersycr, Trallong and Pentre’r felin and down to the Main Rd at Senny Bridge.

Alternatively take the A 40 all the way to Llandovery. The campsite is on the left just before you enter Llandovery.

Day 3 – Llandovery to Tregaron - about 40 miles

Through town! The route climbs gently for about 10 miles, through Rhandirmwyn to the reservoir at Llyn Brianne. It’s possible to ride up to the top of the reservoir for a fantastic view. Come back down from the top of the reservoir to the road and carry on around the lake. Follow signs for Tregaron. Soar y Mynydd is the next stop - beautiful little chapel in the middle of nowhere.

Press on up the hill and over the top down to Tregaron. The Talbot is on the square in the middle of town.

Day 4 - Tregaron to Newport – about 50 miles

Ride down the B4343 towards Lampeter, passing through Llandewi Brefi. After about 10 miles you get to a T junction with the A 482. Turn right through Lampeter. Ride through the town and on for about three miles. There’s a small rise by a pub called Granell, turn left at the top and immediately left again on to the B4337 to Llanybydder. Follow the road through Alltyblaca to Llanybydder.

CAUTION- this bit’s easy to miss. At the bottom of the hill just before Llanybydder, near the High Mead Arms, turn right, after half a mile turn left to Rhuddlan (national cycle route 47!). Keep left in Rhuddlan. When you enter Llanfihangel yr Arth, at the T junction turn left, pass over the bridge and at the top of the hill turn right to Llandysul on the B 4336. At Pontwelly, turn left by the paddling club and after 2 miles turn right in Pentrecwrt towards Henllan (B4335). At the T junction turn right on the A 484 to Newcastle Emlyn. Follow the road through Newcatle Emlyn towards Cenarth. Have a cup of tea in Cenarth.

In Cenarth take the left turn to Boncath (B4332). Pass through Capel Newydd, in Boncath, carry straight on on the B4332. At the next T junction, turn right then immediately left to Eglwyswrw. At Eglwyswrw, turn left on to the main road A487 towards Newport. After about 3 miles turn left down the hill in to Nevern. Wait for the tail-enders in the Trewern Arms!

Ed
  • trickeyja
    Thanks very much for your advice :)
    I think I will try and avoid the A40 then.

Yours sounds like a nice relaxed route. If I had more time I would prefer to make it a longer trip but unfortunately I can't afford more than a few days away.

Is the Fishguard coast road and A487 a better choice? Newcastle Emlyn and Llandovery might be good choices for the way back. Once I get to Llandovery I can then decide whether to cross to Builth Wells and down to Hay or just go back through Abergavenny..
  • crafty
    I love the A487. A wide road and not too crazy with traffic. It has something for everyone (if you know what I mean). The views are great and the air is good. It's not too much of a tug 'til Fishguard and then you'll be bending the cranks to out of there.

Ed
  • alp777
    alp777 Posts: 211
    How about the celtic trail, runs from Chepstow to Fishguard, more info. here

http://www.sustrans.org.uk/default.asp?sID=1095083671546
  • trickeyja
    Thanks for your recommendations. I've compiled a couple of provisional routes. These worked out longer than I expected at 170 miles!

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ch ... vids-route
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/St ... Cheltenham

What do you think? It is under 300km so would be a long Audax day. I reckon I can manage the distance, with a rest day in between. This is a rough route so I half expect I'll end up taking faster roads when it comes to it, because the minor roads might prove hilly and awkward to navigate.
  • crafty
    From memory, your second option would be less bumpy but obviously more miles. I would recommend the second. You wont be disappointed.

Ed
  • Oldknees
    Oldknees Posts: 214
    The route is great cycling. I plan to do St.Davids to Gt Yarmouth this August, camping and then bouncing back to Mildenhall for the rally. The Gospel Pass is nice if you get the chance. Just great cycling. When I did this route in 2000 every day was wonderful - except for Swansea, but that's another story. Have fun.
    slow is good too
  • trickeyja
    Thanks for all your help.

Oldknees - how far do you plan to cycle each day? I was initially thinking of one day there, one day back but I may be able to split it and enjoy the scenery more, perhaps taking a more meandering route.

I went on my last day trip to the Gospel Pass on 3rd May - one of my favourite bike rides if I've got the time. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtrickey/s ... 909190502/
  • trickeyja
    Thank you for all your ideas!

I went on the trip last week and had a fantastic time. I ended up splitting it two days each way, with three days to explore Pembrokeshire in between. It was more of a break and I had plenty of time for walks and taking pictures on the way.

My route was as follows:
    Day 1: Cheltenham>Hay on Wye>Builth Wells>Beulah>Tyncornel
    Day 2: Tyncornel YH>Llanddewi Brefi>Lampeter>Newcastle Emlyn>Fishguard>Trefin
    Day 3: 20 mile walk along coast
    Day 4: Cycled to St David's then got the ferry to Ramsey Island. Explored coastal villages afterwards.
    Day 5: Longer trip exploring Preseli Hills, Strumble Head then down to Whitesands Bay for sunset.
    Day 6: Trefin>Carmarthen>Llandeilo>Bethlehem>Llanddeusant YH
    Day 7: Llanddeusant>Trecastle>Brecon>Crickhowell>Skenfrith>Ross>Cheltenham

Here are a few highlights:
    3589205880_555c280c0d.jpg
    3588968276_82d86ba53e.jpg
    3588179361_e27906c4e4.jpg
    3588478915_f6dc87f839.jpg
    3588491625_a75ce73d6c.jpg
    3588303815_1c278d8a1c.jpg
    3588334347_fb8f41d0f1.jpg

You can find a more comprehensive collection here:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/jtrickey/s ... 059093747/
  • crafty
    Great pics and a canny route. Great weather too. How did you find the tug out of Fishguard?!

I'm off to Pembs in two weeks and a little pressed for time too (I only have 4 days). My route will be a circuit starting and finishing in Milford Haven..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v139/ ... sRoute.jpg

Will post pics too.

Thanks for the report.

Ed
  • trickeyja
    Thanks.

The tug out of Fishguard was steep - both the approach and the road up through Goodwick. I managed all the hills without stopping including the Devil's Staircase on the mountain road. To be honest I found the second day tougher, despite lower hills. The road from Lampeter to Newcastle Emlyn was up and down all the way, and combined with a vicious headwind it was slow going!

I hope you enjoy your route - Pembrokeshire is such a beautiful county.