Packing for tour - bike bags/planes - pedals

waltho bum gravy
waltho bum gravy Posts: 153
edited May 2009 in Tour & expedition
I'm in the process of packing for a tour. I'm taking the bike, in a bag, on the plane. Do I have to remove the pedals? If so, any tips, I've been out there for hours huffing and puffing. I'm using the right allen key and a pedal spanner. It's a relatively new bike so I'm guessing the boys at Condor put the pedals on good and tight.

Is it simply a case of brute strength or is there a knack?

Thanks.

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Can you get one off but not the other? Are you turning the right way? Bear in mind the left-hand pedal untightens clockwise and the right-hand pedal untightens anti-clockwise.

Probably best not to faff around with the Allen key: use the pedal spanner in one hand and and the crank in the other to get maximum leverage.

You could always take the cranks off. Personally I do this anyway to protect the crank/chainrings.
  • Special K
    Special K Posts: 449
    Reminder: The LEFT pedal undoes by turning the bolt CLOCKWISE, i.e. the opposite to the other bolts on the bike.

Taking cranks off sounds like a good idea too, thought I've never done it. Makes sense to protect the chainrings
    "There are holes in the sky,
    Where the rain gets in.
    But they're ever so small
    That's why rain is thin. " Spike Milligan
  • mz__jo
    mz__jo Posts: 398
    There are those who take the derailleur off and tape it to the chainstay (just undo the bolt, no need to disconnect cables or chains). This avoids an accidental blow bending or breaking the gear hanger (which is a bit of a downer at the beginning of a tour). I have my first contact with airlines due in september and I will probably do this.