low cost full suspension

robbo94
robbo94 Posts: 16
edited May 2009 in MTB beginners
Everywhere i have read people are saying dont get a low cost full suspension. I have seen a Carrera Banshee at Halfords for £300 and the specs seem spot on. Do you think that bike will do the job for someone who will only take it off road maybe once a week.

Comments

• delude
    delude Posts: 110
    Go for it! I have seen the '08 model for £500+ (which model is the one you have seen?)
  • Personally I wouldn't get it, I would really suggest a nice hardtail for that kinda money, you'll enjoy it more.

Have got my wife a Carrera Fury (link in sig) took it for its maiden voyage yesterday & it rides really nicely, I'd recommend something like that :)
  • delude
    delude Posts: 110
    Ah, I was looking at the 19" model with better specs.
  • sarkmeister
    sarkmeister Posts: 142
    Is there any particular reason why you would want a full suspension (especially if you are only going off road once a week)? You'd get a much better spec hardtail for the money generally.....
    Orange Crush 2010
    Trek 1.5c
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    It is good value at 300 quid. But totally the wrong bike for general XC riding.
  • adun1408
    adun1408 Posts: 123
    Boy is that bike heavy :cry:
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    They're good fun but heavy and... Not sure what the word is. Imprecise? I had a few goes on one, they're hilarious on the descents since it basically doesn't pay that much attention to the rider, it'll go over or through surprising things but the flip side is, sometimes it decides to go over or through something you didn't intend to :lol: Like riding on a trampoline. That might sound like a criticism, it's not, it's really really fun. But, riding it up is not fun at all.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • thedirge
    thedirge Posts: 181
    pauls cycles giant yukon fx3 take a look
    Consequences.... are just a harmless by-product of having a good time, all the time.

Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.
  • robbo94
    thanks for all replies. The main reason i want a ful sus is because they seem more fun look like a comfier ride off road than a hardtail. And when i said once a week i probably ment to say 2-3 thimes nd would do XC.
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Low cost full suspension...

...is a really, really bad idea.

Period.
    Heavy, bouncy, heavy, uncontrolled, heavy, sloppy, heavy and miserable in every way. For the same money a hardtail - or even a decent rigid - will out perform it in every way - (up, down, across) last loads longer and be so much more fun you can't imagine. Plus you'll learn to ride properly much quicker.

Nothing against full-suss - I love it - but to do it well takes money, at least a grand rrp at the moment to make it worthwhile.

Sorry to be so down on the idea!
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • elPedro666 wrote:
    Low cost full suspension...

...is a really, really bad idea.

Period.
    Heavy, bouncy, heavy, uncontrolled, heavy, sloppy, heavy and miserable in every way. For the same money a hardtail - or even a decent rigid - will out perform it in every way - (up, down, across) last loads longer and be so much more fun you can't imagine. Plus you'll learn to ride properly much quicker.

Nothing against full-suss - I love it - but to do it well takes money, at least a grand rrp at the moment to make it worthwhile.

Sorry to be so down on the idea!

So what do you think about its weight? :lol:
  • robbo94
    lol looks like i will be getting a hardtail then seems like the best and most sensible choice to go ahead with.
  • fourcrossjohn
    fourcrossjohn Posts: 2,500
    i'm getting a carrera banshee x was gonna get the normal but i thort the 55r's are 500 quid alone so paying 300 for those forks and the extra upgrades is worth it, carrera banshee is probs 1 of the best all round riders ive even seen n it has great looks, its the 05 stinky frame and the 07 kona dawg fram so u no its strong
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Is it the kona frame? Very similar front triangle, but different rear end (Banshee has a chainstay 'horst' pivot).

All are cracking value, just too heavy for what the OP suggests IMHO.
  • fourcrossjohn
    fourcrossjohn Posts: 2,500
    just different rear end but the front is kona
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    Anyone see the glowing reviews...both of which from 'top 250 contributors' which i assume are regular reviewers on Halfords website. So completely unbiased then and not working at H's IT dept. "I'm a cycling enthusiast and like top quality products and brands"
    BTW i did buy at Halfords unfortunately but that was for the £200 saving and it'll be the last place i go for service.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    If you look at the large, one of the reviews is from a top 50 contributor and says "not up to the job". Don't think it's as onesided as you suggest really.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • nfrang
    nfrang Posts: 250
    Ya probably right mate...appears you only need to post twice to become a top contributor!
    I prefer user reviews normally when buying stuff but they've gone a bit nut's with 5 out of 5 out of 5 on everything.
  • just different rear end but the front is kona
    so the end that matters is different :wink:
  • Steve_F
    Steve_F Posts: 682
    I got the 08 Banshee X through cycle to work.

It was a bit of a pig uphill but that's not what I'm there for.

That think really does shift going back down. I do agree that it can have a bit of a mind of it's own but I disagree that there's any hardtails at the same price that could get down at the same speed.

I really enjoyed that bike but in the end the components (especially rear suspension and rear mech hangers catching in (well used) flexy wheels) just weren't up to a heavy rider abusing it in the way I did.

Was only when I moved to my next bike that I realised it wasn't quite as good as I'd thought but that cost more than double the Banshee X.

If you like coming downhill more than uphill I wouldn't write this bike off, can't comment on the non-X model though.
    Current steed is a '07 Carrera Banshee X
    + cheap road/commuting bike
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    go for a hardtail mate, much better value, and fine of road, esp if youl only use it once or twice a week off road. some nutters (including myself) even ride Downhill on hardtails!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • robbo94
    yes definatley not going for a fll sus on this budget. Looks like im going to go for this one http://paulscycles.co.uk/products.php?plid=m1b0s2p1889 Do you think it looks ok, i seem to like it.
  • elPedro666
    elPedro666 Posts: 1,060
    Looks pretty good to me, at a quick glance (gotta go clean my bike...).

Will do a bit of everything & should be reassuring off-road.

Can't think of anything bad to say... :shock:
    WTD:
    Green Halo TwinRail
    25.0mm-26.2mm seatpost shim
    Red X-Lite bling
    Specialized ladies BG saddle (white?) 155mm
    RH thumbie
    700x28c CX tyres&tubs
    Flatbars 620mm 25,4mm & swept, ti in an ideal world
  • As much as I love my full sussers, I always say this, for that kind of money your definately far better off with a hardtail, it will come better specced be far lighter and probably ride downhill just as well, and the upshot is if you still want full suspension you can look for a cheap frame at a later date once you have more money and transfer your (better) parts onto it, like this for example evan's own pinnacle frame for £400 http://www.evanscycles.com/products/pin ... e-ec014906
  • robbo94
    well think im going with the dimondback looks good for the money.
    Also thanks for all the replies you really do know how to give a newbie a good welcome.
    Thanks, chris.