British GT leaders

RichN95.
RichN95. Posts: 27,241
edited May 2009 in Pro race
With Cav in Pink tonight, I was wondering what other British riders have worn the leader's jersey in a Grand Tour.

For the Tour de France I know Simpson, Yates, Boardman and D.Millar

But did Robert Millar wear it in the Vuelta? I can't remember.

Anyone else?
Twitter: @RichN95

Comments

• dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    RichN95 wrote:
    With Cav in Pink tonight, I was wondering what other British riders have worn the leader's jersey in a Grand Tour.

Anyone else?
    yes, 24 years ago it was a Brit-a Scot, threatening to win the Grand Tours outright...now we are grateful for a few days and pink and stage wins...Millar lead the Vuelta in 1985 and 86 and got cheated by delagdo and the Spanish in 85 when they motorpaced and gave him no time checks, had train level crossings come down on chase groups when no trains came etc
    www.robertmillar.net
  • skut
    skut Posts: 371
    I'd be interested to know about Brits wearing other classification jersies too.

Malcom Elliot won the sprinters jersey in the Vuelta once I think, and I know David Millar wore the Polka Dot jersey a couple of years ago ( and Robert Millar won the Polka dot jersey too of course). Is that it?
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes Elliott won the points jersey in the Vuelta.

Can't help feeling for Millar whenever I watch the footage of him losing the Vuelta - when he comes back to the bunch and is riding along chatting totally unaware there are two up the road taking the race away from him.

Do you mean David Millar wore the polka dot rather than won it overall - yes I think he did hold it for a time - I'd forgotten that but now you mention it I think you are right ?

edit - apologies you wrote wore rather than won - my mistake

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Dave_1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Anyone else?
    yes, 24 years ago it was a Brit-a Scot, threatening to win the Grand Tours outright...now we are grateful for a few days and pink and stage wins...

A bit harsh on Cavendish there! Two Giro stages, four in the Tour, a Monument classic, all in the space of a year. Hardly something just to be "grateful" for is it?
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    skut wrote:
    I'd be interested to know about Brits wearing other classification jersies too.

Malcom Elliot won the sprinters jersey in the Vuelta once I think, and I know David Millar wore the Polka Dot jersey a couple of years ago ( and Robert Millar won the Polka dot jersey too of course). Is that it?

Millar won the maglia verde of best climber in the 87 giro.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Nicole Cooke - been there, done that, got the t-shirt. Youngest winner ever of the women's Giro. Twice won the women's Tour de France. Also won the German Tour (Thuringen Rundfahrt) which vies with the Tour de l'Aude as probably the third biggie as there's no equivalent women's Vuelta.

COOKE8_5415.jpg[/img]
  • dave_1
    Garry H wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

Anyone else?
    yes, 24 years ago it was a Brit-a Scot, threatening to win the Grand Tours outright...now we are grateful for a few days and pink and stage wins...

A bit harsh on Cavendish there! Two Giro stages, four in the Tour, a Monument classic, all in the space of a year. Hardly something just to be "grateful" for is it?

sorry, was a little harsh but was surpised people would forget Robert Millar's Tour of Spain 85 and 86...hope one day Brits will win Grand Tours outright or near to...the 80s were a long time ago, been a long time since we seen brits up the front on the Tourmalet etc
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Unerstand where your coming from, and it oes seem like a long time ago. Watching the Tour and actually believing that we had a good chance on the overall. Almost surreal, cometo think of it. Will we see his like again?
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    I was going to say barry Hoban but checking him on wiki (I didn't think he wore the maillot Jaune and he didn't although he did win stages) he wasn't a gc winner - but there's a link to Brian Robinson as well, who also raced in the tour and won a stage
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Dave_1 wrote:
    sorry, was a little harsh but was surpised people would forget Robert Millar's Tour of Spain 85 and 86

It was a long time ago - I was twelve and had no interest in cycling at the time - so I didn't know the full details. Not very surprising really.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    taste91-millar.jpg

Wasn't aware of the Vuelta / Millar story. A real shame.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • dave_1
    RichN95 wrote:
    Dave_1 wrote:
    sorry, was a little harsh but was surpised people would forget Robert Millar's Tour of Spain 85 and 86

It was a long time ago - I was twelve and had no interest in cycling at the time - so I didn't know the full details. Not very surprising really.
    it's ok Rich, am an older guy, 39 and was hooked on cycling by summer 1984 watching the short reports on TV of Robert Millar at the 1984 Tour de France
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    edhornby wrote:
    I was going to say barry Hoban but checking him on wiki (I didn't think he wore the maillot Jaune and he didn't although he did win stages) he wasn't a gc winner - but there's a link to Brian Robinson as well, who also raced in the tour and won a stage

Hoban was a top-grade sprinter, so don't know if he ever wore the green jersey at some point - it's certainly a possibility given his track record. He did manage a 3rd place overall in the points jersey contest in one TdF, too.
    I expect we'll see Cavendish in green before too long, and probably even take the jersey all the way to Paris in years to come.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    A bit O/T but when was the last time we had this many Brits in a GT? I make it 9 in this year's line-up. I think that last year's 6 (?) in the Giro was the most for a long time?
  • dave_1
    A bit O/T but when was the last time we had this many Brits in a GT? I make it 9 in this year's line-up. I think that last year's 6 (?) in the Giro was the most for a long time?

it's great to see ...after so many lean years/decades in terms of numbers...and Ben Swift snapping at cav's heals there in that sprint...will not be long to Swift passes him?
  • andrewgturnbull
    andrewgturnbull Posts: 3,861
    Hi there.

Both Boardman and David Millar would have worn all three jerseys after winning prologues. I'm sure DM qualified for the young riders one too. Boardman may have missed out on the polka-dot once as I seem to remember that was decided on a timed climb in just one section of the prologue.

Cheers, Andy